Akai Professional MPX16 Sample Player
Akai MPX16 Sample Player Product Overview by GAK
The Akai MPX16 is a compact audio sampler player with the ability to use samples straight from an SD card. Similar to the popular Akai MPX8, samples are triggered internally from the highly responsive MPC-style backlit pads or an external MIDI device via USB-MIDI and 3.5mm (1/8-inch) MIDI inputs.
This piece of kit from Akai is ideal for DJ's when performing live but is also a great addition to any studio when used as a midi controller to trigger samples in your DAW.
Akai Product OverviewMPX16 is an advanced sample player with sixteen backlit velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads. With it, musicians, producers and performers can trigger sound samples stored on standard SD or SDHC cards. Insert the SD card, assign its contents to any of the MPX16’s pads, and go. At home in the studio as part of a producer's rig or on stage as a solution for triggering critical sounds, MPX16 is a compact sampling powerhouse.
While the hyper-responsive trigger pads and backlit display make tapping into your sample library a simple task, the integrated audio inputs empower you to add to it. Two ¼-inch (6.3mm) jacks let you connect your studio gear or other sound sources to the MPX16 for sample capture. Onboard editing tools provide sample trimming and pad assignment for immediate synergy into a production or performance. Use the headphone jack to monitor your captures, or send the audio to a mixer, monitors, a recording interface, etc using the ¼-inch main outs. A built-in mic provides immediate sample capture for those times when inspiration strikes; a dedicated Record Gain knob ensures you get it right.
MPX16’s flexibility goes beyond pad-triggered audio playback and capture. The full-size rear-panel USB port lets you drag & drop samples from your computer and even use the MPX16 as an SD card reader/writer. The USB connection also provides a pipeline for MIDI data, enabling sample triggering from your DAW or computer-based sequencer. A 5-pin MIDI input means SD samples may be triggered from any MIDI-enabled gear such as keyboards, pad controllers, synths and electronic drums. A 5-pin MIDI output lets the MPX16 function as a dynamic pad controller. Layering wide-ranging sound sources during live and studio performance just got easier.
With the included Akai Pro MPX File Conversion Utility software (free download), managing computer-based samples and moving them to the SD card is intuitive. This software converts sound files into .WAV format for seamless playback on the MPX16. Samples may be edited from the MPX16's onboard sample processor; tuning, pad groups, envelopes, sample trimming, panning, and volume are tweakable right from the MPX16’s top-panel controls.
MPX16’s compact footprint means it is at home on a tabletop, music stand, lap, tray-table or in your backpack en route to the studio. Solid Akai Pro design and industry-leading pads ensure it stands up to the daily use you expect it to see.
- Plays and records stereo samples using easily accessible and reliable SD cards
- 16 velocity sensitive, illuminated pads let the user play back samples in real-time
- Balanced 6.3mm (1â„4-inch) inputs let you capture audio from a wide variety of sources
- Built-in stereo microphone lets you capture sounds on-the-fly
- USB-MIDI as well as MIDI Input and MIDI Output jacks for integration into
- virtually any MIDI setup for use as a pad controller, sample bank or both
- Onboard sound processing-tune samples, adjust ADSR envelopes and filters
- USB or wall powered (adapter included) for use virtually anywhere
- The portable Akai MPX16 plays and records .WAV samples using SD cards for powerful, reliable performance in live and studio situations. Like the popular MPX8, samples are triggered internally from the highly responsive MPC-style pads or an external MIDI device via USB-MIDI and 3.5mm (1â„8-inch) MIDI inputs. Also a feature-packed MIDI pad controller, the MPX16 is equally capable of launching clips or adding trigger pads to a producer's studio.
- Samples are captured at CD-quality via dual 6.3mm (1â„4-inch) inputs or the on- board stereo microphone and saved to an SD card. The user may assign audio clips to the pads and apply tuning, filters, envelopes and "choke" grouping for creative, dynamic performances. An LCD screen and illuminated trigger pads provide visual feedback during use, and the MPX16 may be powered from a USB port or the included power supply. Naturally, users may load existing sound files onto an SD card or use the MPX16 as an SD card reader for drag-and-drop convenience on a Mac or PC. A software tool for even easier sample management is included via download.
Great but for recording and playback issues I seem to keep getting, often required a restart. Navigation can feel a little convoluted and playback of a pad/sample sometimes stopped even after setting the other pads to play over and not stop other samples. Updates required to fix these issues.
Excellent product, good sound quality, easy to use and very lightweight for live use. Already done it's first gig pretty much straight out of the box...