AMS Neve 8816 Summing Mixer
AMS NEVE 8816 Analog summing mixer overview by GAK.
The NEVE name is synonymous as the last word in quality analogue mixing. Thee 8816 is a revolutionary product that opens up the world of NEVE mixing to those that need that finesse, but do not require the full functionality of a console based system.
The 8816 uses the same transformer mixing topology as the classic 80 Series console, with two custom Carnhill transformers on the stereo mix bus output, plus a unique ‘Stereo Width’ control as found in professional mastering studios. And what all this means is that the unit delivers the open, punchy mixes for which Neve consoles have long been renowned.
In the words of Hugh Robjohns at Sound on Sound magazine, ‘The critical issue is what [the 8816] sounds like. The answer is simple: it sounds fabulous and sublime. Its huge headroom and the classic transformer mixing topology endow the mix with an effortlessly silky quality that just screams ‘analogue’ at the listener.’
For those requiring digital output, the 8816’s analogue-to-digital conversion option supports standard sample rates to 192kHz and direct conversion to DSD (Direct Stream Digital). This Neve-designed ADC has been compared quite favourably to dedicated professional A/D conversion units costing as much or more than the entire 8816
Please note this item is on display in our Brighton store. For further information, or to arrange a demonstration call 01273665413 or email [email protected]
- Hand-built, hand-wired 16-channel summing mixer for use in professional computer-based studios
- Classic Neve analogue transformer mix bus topology
- Instant Recall of settings stored on PC or Mac via USB
- 16 input channels plus aux additional inputs
- Cue, Level, Pan, Solo and Mute controls
- Mix Insert points
- Various solo and solo in place functions
- Sum and difference insert with exclusive ‘Stereo Width Control’
- Separate Monitor and Cue levels
- Main and Alt speaker outs
- Onboard talkback mic w/talkback input to Cue
- Units can be cascaded for multiple output
- 2U rackmount design with special shielded power supply
- 2 track return, plus iPod input
- Headphone outs on front and back
- Optional digital output card; 44.1kHz to 192kHz, plus DSD