ASM Hydrasynth Explorer
ASM Hydrasynth Explorer
The ASM Hydrasynth Explorer is an incredibly powerful, expressive and portable digital synthesizer. The Explorer packs the exact same 8-voice wave morphing sound engine as the Keyboard and Desktop versions into an ultra-compact synth.
Incredible Sound Engine
Ashun Sound Machines set the synth world ablaze with the Hydrasynth Keyboard and Desktop, presenting a fresh approach to synthesis that could easily be navigated thanks to an incredibly intuitive interface. From rich, analogue-style basses to FM pianos to complex, evolving wavetable pads, the Hydrasynth sound engine can pull off practically any synth sound you can conceive of. Combine this with polyphonic aftertouch control, which hadn’t been explored in a commercial synth since the Yamaha CS-80, and you’ve got one of the most expressive, versatile and rewarding synthesizers out there.
The ASM Hydrasynth Explorer presents a new level of portability by packing the inspiring 8-voice sound engine (which includes 3 oscillators, 5 LFOs & 5 loopable DAHDSR envelopes per voice) that originated in the Keyboard and Desktop into a sleek, slim synthesizer. An advantage of the ASM Hydrasynth Explorer is that it can be powered via the included 12V DC power supply or eight AA batteries. This capability makes the Explorer a strong contender for the most complete, feature-packed and powerful portable synth on the market.
A hallmark of the ASM Hydrasynth series is MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression) and polyphonic aftertouch. The Explorer is outfitted with a 37-note, mid-sized key version of ASM’s unique PolyTouch keyboard. Using the Explorer’s modular-esque 32-slot Mod Matrix, you can assign polyphonic aftertouch to control a wide range of destinations on a per-note basis. Once you’ve experienced this level of expressive control, you’ll wish every synth had a poly AT keyboard! Many modern synths are MPE-ready despite only having a channel aftertouch keybed, making the Hydrasynth Explorer a top-notch master controller for the rest of your setup, too. Handling Pitch and Mod duties are two highly responsive touch-strips, which feature LED indicators so you know how much you’ve applied.
At the rear of the ASM Hydrasynth Explorer, you’ll find a comprehensive of connectivity options, including full-size MIDI In & Out, USB MIDI (for straightforward DAW integration, patch management & firmware updates), a balanced stereo output and a sustain pedal input. Like its siblings, the Explorer is equipped with an array of CV/Gate outputs (Pitch, Gate, Mod 1, Mod 2 & Clock) for tight Eurorack and semi-modular synth integration.
The Hydrasynth Keyboard and bi-timbral Deluxe are available if you prefer full-size keys and want access to additional hands-on controls (including a slick ribbon controller). The rackmountable Desktop is a module variation that features onboard velocity and pressure-sensitive pads.
The ASM Hydrasynth Explorer certainly lives up to its name. With its grab-and-go portability, deep sound engine and affordable price point, the Hydrasynth Explorer is a top choice if you need a gigging synth that’s easy to transport, are a composer/producer/sound designer that’s regularly on the move or need a desktop-friendly keyboard for your home studio.
- 8-voice polyphonic digital wave morphing synthesizer
- POLYTOUCH™ Polyphonic Aftertouch, Note on/off velocity keyboard with 37 mid-sized keys
- Battery powered operation using 8xAA batteries (not included)
- MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression) compatible
- Microtuning support via MIDI Tuning Standard files
- 3 Oscillators per voice with 4 Mutators total
- 1 Multimode filter and 1 variable LP-BP/Notch-HP filter per voice
- 640 program locations with Category search
- CV/Gate interconnectivity
- Type: Polyphonic Wave Morphing Synthesizer
- Sound Engine Type(s): Wavescan
- Analog/Digital: Digital
- Number of Keys: 37 mid-sized keys
- Type of Keys: ASM POLYTOUCH™ Polyphonic Aftertouch Keyboard, On/Off Velocity-sensitive
- Other Controllers: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel
- Polyphony: 8 voices
- Number of Presets: 640
- Oscillators: 3 x Wavescan oscillators (219 Waveforms), 4 x Mutator wave shapers (8 Types), Noise (7 Types)
- Mutators: 8 Types (FM-Lin, WaveStack, PW-Orig, PW-Squeeze, PW-ASM, Harmonic Sweep, Hard Sync, PhazDiff)
- Noise: 7 Types (White, Pink, Brown, Red, Blue, Violet, Grey)
- LFO: 5 per Voice (Sine, Triangle, Saw Up, Saw Down, Square, Pulse27%, Pulse13%, S&H, Noise, Random, Step), Tempo syncable, Semitone Lock
- Envelopes: 5 per voice, Tempo syncable, Variable trigger sources
- Filter Types: 1 Multimode Filter (16 types) and 1 Variable LP-BP/Notch-HP filter, series or parallel routing
- Filters: Filter 1 (LP Ldr12, LP Ldr24, LP Fat12, LP Fat24, LP Gate, LP MS20, HP MS20, LP 3-Ler, BP 3-Ler, HP 3-Ler, LP Stn12, BP Stn12, HP Stn12, LP 1 Pole, LP 8 Pole, Vowel), Filter 2 (LP-BP-HP, LP-Notch-HP)
- Effects: 9 Insert Effects, 5 Delays, 4 Reverbs.
- Effects Types: Chorus, Flanger, Rotary, Phaser, Lo-Fi, Tremolo, EQ, Compressor, Distortion, Delay, Reverb
- Arpeggiator: 8 types (Up, Down, Up&Down, Up/Down, Order, Random, Chord, Phrase)
- Other: Mod Matrix (32 slots), Macro Controllers (8), Favorites (32), Randomizer (Patch and Module), MPE Compatibility, Warm Mode, Microtuning
- Audio Outputs: 2 x 1/4" Balanced (L/Mono, R)
- Headphones: 1 x 1/4"
- USB: 1 x Type B
- MIDI I/O: In/Out
- Pedal Inputs: 1 x 1/4" (sustain)
- Other Outputs: 5 x 1/8" Outputs (CV, Gate, Mod1, Mod2, Clock)
- Power Supply: 12V DC switchable power supply
- Height: 2.28" / 5.8cm
- Width: 21.81" / 55.4cm
- Depth: 9.72" / 24.7cm
- Weight: 7.63lbs / 3.46kg
- MPN: HSMK
No upgrades available