Avantone MixCube Active Studio Monitor, Black, Single
Overview by GAK
The Avantone Active MixCube is an essential tool for a mixing engineer, as it provides you with a sense of how your mix will sound out in the wild. If you can nail your mix on the Avantone MixCube, it’s far more likely to translate across a wider variety of systems. Inspired by the Auratone 5C, the Avantone have designed what is essentially an modern, upgraded version of this classic monitor.
Essential Studio Tool
Take a look inside a professional mixing engineer’s studio and you’re bound to find an Avantone MixCube active studio monitor (or two). That’s because these monitors are hard to beat when it comes to balancing mixes. The Avantone MixCube achieves this by emphasising the crucial mid-range frequency response, which is the part of your mix that’s most likely to be conveyed to listeners. Plus, with its incredibly low distortion, the Avantone MixCube makes critical judgements about your mix’s bass instruments a lot easier.
If you want your mix to sound it’s best in a wide variety of listening contexts - you need this active studio monitor.
Upgraded Design & Specs
The MixCube’s inspiration, the Auratone 5C, became a fixture in studios around the world. With the MixCube, Avantone have improved upon this legendary monitor in virtually every way, making it an essential component of any pro studio setup. This version of the Avantone MixCube features a premium quality build, a smooth sound and self-powered operation via a pro-grade 60W amplifier.
More Than A Reference
Compared to the 5C, the Avantone MixCube has a much smoother sound with an extended bass response and a transparent high-end. This means it works for more than purely lo-fi mixing contexts. It’s a high-res, full-range reference monitor that’s also highly portable thanks to its miniature size. Using the bottom mic stand mics, you can adapt the MixCube to any playback situation.
Boasting a host of technical improvements, top-quality construction and an improved sound, the Avantone MixCube is a must-have for your studio if you’re serious about creating professional mixes.
- Balanced Input: This “combo XLR” input accepts a BALANCED male XLR plug as well as a 3-conductor BALANCED TRS ¼” or a 2 conductor UNBALANCED TS ¼” male plug. For unbalanced operation with a TS connector the minus signal is automatically grounded.
- System Gain: This variable control adjusts the sensitivity of the signal that appears at the input. Rotating the control clockwise increases the sensitivity while a counter-clockwise rotation decreases sensitivity. The adjustable gain range is from -30 to +6 dB. A setting of +6 allows a full, unimpeded signal to be sent to the amplifier. The detented gain positions allow for repeatable settings between speakers for proper matching. Please Note… when the signal appearing at the input is too hot, the amplifier can overload causing distortion and possible damage to the speaker. If overload occurs, attenuate (decrease) the input level by turning the knob counter-clockwise a few clicks.
- On/Off Switch: This illuminated switch turns the amplifier section on and off. The unit is still receiving power from the transformer however.
- AC Input: This input is only to be use with the proprietary AVANTONE Power Supply. Tighten the cable/connector securely for reliable operation. Note: There is a switch on the power supply for selecting the proper AC/MAINS operating voltage for your location.
- Ground Lift Switch: By engaging this switch the pin 1 shield is lifted at the input jack. This can be used to aid in ground loop control of the incoming analog line signal.
- Placement: When positioning the Avantone Active MixCubes on stands or console bridges it is best to keep them at ear level and slightly angled in towards the engineer. Since they are shielded it is ok to place them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The bottom mic stand mounts will also allow you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
- System Type: Active (self-powered) Shielded Full-Range Mono
- Frequency Response: 90Hz - 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
- Impendance: Nominal 8 ohms
- Max SPL: 104db @ 1 meter = 1%THD (PINK NOISE)
- Amplifier Type: Class A/B
- Amplifier Power: 60 watts [email protected] .005% THD (1KHz)
- Amp Frequency Response: 22Hz-50KHz +0dB/- 3dB (90Hz-50KHz +/-0dB)
- Noise: S/N -113 dB
- Sensitivity: 0dBu (.775VRMS) input at maximum volume (+6dB) = 104dB SPL
- Driver: Proprietary design 5.25" cast aluminum frame / paper cone / shielded
- Cabinet: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- Inputs: XLR & TRS (COMBO JACK) +4/Balanced and -10 unbalanced
- Weight: 7.13lbs (per monitor)
- Dimensions: 6.5" x 6.5" x 6.5"
No upgrades available
Just what I need for final sight off of my mix….