Behringer UMC404HD U-Phoria USB Audio Interface
Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio Interface overview from GAK
The U-PHORIA UMC40HD Audio Interface from Behringer is a 4x4 USB 2.0 audio/MIDI interface optimised for recording both microphones and instruments. Offering microphone, guitar, bass, keyboard and MIDI connectivity, the U-PHORIA produces audiophile quality 24-bit/192kHz resolution that guarantees professional sound, as well as providing zero-latency monitoring and coming complete with free audio recording/editing software plus additional instruments and plugins!
The U-PHORIA houses four superb MIDAS-designed mic preamps each offering +48V phantom power to accommodate even the most power hungry condenser. Recording audio through studio-grade 24-bit/ 192 kHz converters, the result is crystal clear audio and perfect replication, whether recording vocals, instruments, conducting interviews, voiceovers and anything else you're using mics for.
The Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD provides you with zero-latency monitoring allowing to listen in real-time to your recording with no threat of lag and signal delay, ensuring a smooth recording session with no distractions. The headphone output on the U-PHORIA has independent level control and enough power to ensure you get a clean, loud signal whenever needed, there is also an 'A' 'B' source select that allows you to switch what you're listening to.
On the rear face of the U-PHORIA, you will find a group of analogue playback options that include 1/4" TRS, RCA and XLR. The USB is also found on the rear face allowing easy access to your computer. Additionally, the U-PHORIA also has two analogue inputs that allow you to connect external effects like Compression, EQ's and so forth. MIDI I/O allows you to connect your favourite MIDI keyboards, drum machines and other various MIDI hardware.
Front facing connection include four combo XLR/TRS connections for mics, instruments and line level sources, each with independent gain control knobs and LED signal clip indicators plus 'Line/Inst' selection buttons and 'Pad' buttons. The front face is where you also find the headphone output with volume control plus the main out and mix knobs.
Purchase of the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD comes complete with 'Tracktion' recording/editing software as well as over 150 instruments/plugins upon registration of the interface on the Behringer website.
It's hard to find an audio interface of this size and this quality for a price as good as it is, if you're serious about upping you recording potential, then the U-PHORIA should be a serious consideration, whether you are a solo artist, performer, bedroom producer or seasoned professional.
- 4 x 4 USB 2.0 audio interface ideal for microphones & instruments
- Audiophile 24-bit/192kHz resolution
- Compatible with wide variety of popular recording software
- Streams 4 x inputs/ 4 x outputs & 1 x MIDI I/O with ultra-low latency
- 4 x MIDAS designed mic preamplifiers with +48V phantom power
- Zero-latency direct monitoring while monitoring
- Input/playback mix control & stereo/mono switch
- Powerful phones output with level control & monitor A/B source select
- Status, signal & clip indications
- USB port for connection & power
- Impact resistant metal chassis
- - Input
- Preamp: 4 x MIDAS Design
- Type: 4 x XLR/TRS Combo Connector (Mic/Line/Instrument)
- Input Level Attenuation: 4 x Pad Switch
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 50kHz (0 / -3 dB)
- Impedance: Mic In: 3kΩ / Instrument In: 1MΩ
- Max Input Level: Mic: -4 dBu / Line: +20 dBu / Instrument: -3 dBu
- Phantom Power: +48 V Switchable
- - Type: 1 x 1/4'' Stereo (Phones), 2 x 1/4'' TRS (Main Line Out), 2 x XLR (Main Line Out), 4 x 1/4'' TRS (Playback Line Out), 4 x RCA (Playback Line Out)
- - Frequency Response: 10Hz - 43kHz (0 / +0.3 dB)
- - Max Output Level: +3 dBu
- System Data
- - Dynamic Range: 100 dB, A-Weighted
- - Frequency Response: 10Hz - 43kHz (0 / +0.3 dB)
- - Type: 4 x 1/4'' TRS
- - Impedance: 100Ω Send / 10kΩ Return
- - Max Input Level: +3 dBu
- MIDI I/O
- - Type: 5-Pin DIN; 1 In, 1 Out
- - Direct Monitor Control: Mix Balance Control (Input <> Playback)
- - Headphones DJ Cueing: Monitor A/B Switch (Out 1-2/3-4 Select)
- Security Lock
- - Kensington Security Lock: Yes
- Digital Processing
- - Supported Sample Rates: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192kHz
- Computer Bus Connectivity
- - Type: USB 2.0, Type B
- Software Support
- - Operating Systems: Mac OS X, Windows XP or Higher
- - Drivers: Mac: No Driver Required / CoreAudio Supported. Windows: Available as Download From Behringer
- Power Supply: USB Connector (Bus-Powered From Computer)(Included) and Adapter
- Power Consumption: Max 2.5W
- Mains Voltage: 100-240V, 50/60Hz
- Weight: 1.2 kg
- - Height: 45.81 mm
- - Width: 292 mm
- - Depth: 130 mm
No upgrades available
Great design and fairly easy to operate. Sometimes the signal indicator doesn’t always show that the interface is receiving sound, but always good to double check this through a DAW like Logic Pro
I dithered about purchasing anything so cheap, but I figured if GAK had it on their shelves then it must at least be passable. I am no music Pro, I am dabbling bet even so this kit is amazing in its quality of build and functions. Not only that but you get a free copy of Trackion software, not limited or crippled, the full fat version included in the £99 cost of the unit. I have so far used it with a miked up acoustic guitar, two electric bass guitars, Fender Jazz fretless, and a Tanglewood cheapo Violin bass, a sure SM58 vocal mic and a Condenser mic. I have had lots of fun playing around with the amps and effects and not a moments problem. The paperwork is sparse to non existent, but even for someone with no prior experience it is so straight forward as to make paperwork redundant. I have not had the chance yet to plug in the keyboard but I do not anticipate any problems. It works extremely well with Garageband and I am keen to get to grips with Trackion and test out its qualities there. The headphone socket has more than enough power to drive an audio amp if you prefer to listen back live rather than through 'phones. All in all the bargain of the year.