Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner Product Overview by GAK
Known for their innovation, Boss DR-01S is the first virtual percussion instrument designed for acoustic musicians, providing 'organic' percussion accompaniment for acoustic players.
The unit allows you to layer up to seven instruments, create your own unique backbeats and allows you to save up to 50 of these rhythms. There is also the option to change volume, tempo and time signature with one easy click
The DR-01S features battery powered portability, making it perfect to use on the go.
Boss Product Overview
Introducing the DR-01S Rhythm Partner, the world’s first virtual percussionist designed specifically for acoustic musicians. Unlike the rhythm machines used by electronic musicians and DJs, the DR-01S is packed with organic percussion sounds and simple, versatile grooves that tastefully complement the unplugged experience. It’s an ideal companion for acoustic guitar and vocals, and just as powerful with ukulele, violin, piano, and other types of acoustic instruments.
The friendly interface on the DR-01S makes it easy to cater beats and variations to suit any style, while the onboard speaker provides high-quality sound that blends perfectly with acoustic instruments. And with battery-powered operation, you can take your rhythm partner everywhere you go. Whether playing solo or with friends, the inspiring DR-01S brings a new level of enjoyment to all your acoustic music sessions.
One of the great joys of acoustic music is that it’s simple and uncomplicated—you just grab your instrument and start playing. The DR-01S flows seamlessly with that relaxed unplugged vibe, offering a friendly panel interface, all-in-one design, and tasteful, understated grooves that enhance any acoustic music style without getting in the way. Via dedicated buttons, you can call up all sorts of beats and variations, layer up to seven instruments together to create your own unique rhythms, and save up to 50 favorites for later recall. Volume, tempo, and time signature can be adjusted with just a few touches, and it’s easy to add a count-in before the rhythm starts. You can even fade out grooves to create polished endings for your songs.
The DR-01S takes full advantage of the acclaimed rhythm machine and sound development history of BOSS and its parent company Roland. A large variety of authentic acoustic percussion sounds are on board, including shakers, maracas, tambourines, congas, bongos, bells, cajon, and many more. There’s even a full drum kit with acoustic and electronic sounds, perfect for when you want to rock up your acoustic jams. Every instrument category includes lots of expressive grooves created by acoustic percussionists, giving you a wide range of organic backing for any unplugged style.
With its integrated audio system, the DR-01S produces warm, full sound that blends right in with the natural tones of your acoustic instruments. BOSS’s advanced approach combines an innovative cabinet design, custom speaker, and a high-efficiency amplifier to deliver impressive sound in a highly portable package. And when you want to take your rhythm partner to the stage, just connect the line out into your acoustic amp or PA system.
While you can access all DR-01S functions from the front panel, it’s often handy to perform some operations while keeping both hands on your instrument. And by connecting one or two optional footswitches, you can. There are a variety of assignable functions to choose from, including start/stop, tempo up/down, tap tempo, pattern variation, and many more. It’s also possible to trigger nearly any DR-01S percussion sound by foot, great for manually tapping out beats as you play.
- Great-sounding, easy-to-use rhythm box designed for acoustic musicians
- Filled with simple, tasteful grooves to support and enhance unplugged music styles
- Convenient all-in-one design with high-quality integrated sound system
- User-friendly interface for selecting instrument types and grooves, adjusting volume and tempo, and more
- Seven simultaneous instrument categories include everything from tambourines, shakers, and congas to full drum set, sound effects, standard metronome, and many other sounds
- Dedicated patterns in each instrument category, with the ability to layer patterns from all categories together in real time
- Save 50 favorite rhythm combinations for quick recall
- Control various functions and trigger sounds hands-free with optional footswitches
- Line out for connecting to an acoustic guitar amp or larger sound system
- Aux input enables use as a speaker for a smartphone or other audio player
- Powered by six AA-size batteries or included AC adapter
- BOSS Rhythm Partner DR-01s: Rhythm Machine
- -Maximum Polyphony
- 24 voices
- Quarter note = 40--300
- -Time Signature
- 3/4, 4/4, 6/8
- Hand clap
- Sound effects
- - Number of Favorite
- -Rated Power Output
- 7 W
- 10 cm (4 inches)
- 7 segments, 3 characters (LED)
- -DA Conversion
- 24 bits
- -Nominal Input Level
- AUX IN: -20 dBu
- -Input Impedance
- AUX IN: 22 k ohms
- -Nominal Output Level
- LINE OUT: -10 dBu
- -Output Impedance
- LINE OUT: 1 k ohm
- -Recommended Load Impedance
- LINE OUT: 10 k ohms or greater
- AUX IN jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- LINE OUT jacks: Stereo miniature phone type
- CTL 1,2 jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- DC IN jack
- -Power Supply
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 6 (sold separately)
- AC adaptor
- -Current Draw
- 330 mA
- -Expected battery life under continuous use
- Alkaline: Approx. 10 hours
- * These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- 210 (W) x 143 (D) x 127 (H) mm
- 8-5/16 (W) x 5-11/16 (D) x 5 (H) inches
- 900 g
- 2 lbs
- Owner's manual
- Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
- AC adaptor
- -Options (sold separately)
- Footswitch: FS-5U
- Dual Footswitch: FS-6, FS-7
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms