Boss KTN-50MKII Katana 50 MKII 1x12 Combo
Boss KTN-50MKII Katana 50 MKII 1x12 Combo
Overview By GAK
The Katana Range has become one of our firm favourite amps to suggest to bedroom players, gigging musicians, guitar teachers or guitarists of all levels, due to the sheer quality of its tone and versatility. The Katana 50 MK2 has become one of our Best-Selling amps from the range and here’s why.
You can reduce the total power of the KTN-50MKII to either 0.5 of a watt, 25w or 50w meaning you can still experience the tone, and more importantly the “feel” of a dimed amp, at a reasonable volume. 0.5w is perfect for when you are playing at low volume and still require the tone of a pushed guitar amp. 25w is ideal for quiet rehearsals and jamming with other musicians, whereas 50w will enable you to compete with a drummer and use in live situations.
The Katana 50 MKII can store 4 of your favourite patches directly to the amp, with 15 effects per patch. There is a rear-panel connection, allowing you to control the amp channels with a footswitch or manipulate effects with an expression pedal. The Katana 50 is compatible with the Boss FS-6 (Katana 100MKII and above use the GA-FC) and all Katana models are compatible with all Boss Expression Pedals.
The Katana 50 MKII is not only a great guitar amp, but its also packed full of technology. You can seamlessly integrate with your studio setup, as the built-in USB interface allows you to record the audio directly to your favourite DAW, without needing a microphone and messy cables - it’s completely hassle-free! When using the Record Out function the internal speaker on the KTN-50 will disable, enabling you to hear the amp sound via a PA System for live use or run the amp into your favourite preamp. Both USB and phones/recording outputs have a Mic’d cabinet emulation, with three Air Feel types, making your Katana sound like an amp in a studio.
To ensure you have everything you need for your Katana-50MKII, check out the Boss KTN-50MKII Katana 50 MKII 1x12 Combo Cover + Footswitch Bundle.
Introducing the Boss KTN-50 Katana 50 MK2, Katana MkII takes the acclaimed Katana guitar amp series to the next level, turbocharging the core platform with more sounds, more effects, and more features. Newly voiced variations are now available for all five amp characters, doubling the tonal options. And the onboard effects categories have been expanded from three to five, providing even more real-time processing to choose from. The usability has been ramped up too, with a power amp input for modellers and multi-FX, updated editor software, and many other enhancements.
More Sounds, More Versatility: The stage-class Katana MkII lineup picks up where the first generation left off, building on the same core tones and features that have made the series such a worldwide smash. If you loved the original Katana amps, you’ll love Katana MkII even more. And if you’re new to the party, get ready for sound, feel, and versatility that soars far beyond its price class.
Five Amp Characters, Ten Overall Tones: Katana MkII’s five primary amp characters offer everything from organic vintage tones to modern high-gain sounds, plus a dedicated voice optimised for an acoustic-electric guitar. The characters have now been extended with newly voiced variations, providing a wider palette of tone options to craft your personal sound.
Five Effects at Once: Katana MkII now includes five simultaneous effects categories, putting the tone-shaping power of a massive pedalboard right inside your amp. Independent Booster, Mod, FX, Delay, and Reverb sections come loaded from the factory with three variations in each, providing 15 ready-to-play effects to choose from. Connecting to Boss Tone Studio lets you dive much deeper if you want—customise the sections with over 60 different effect types, change the order with four different chains, and much more.
Full-Throttle Sound Every Time You Plug-In: Backed by BOSS’s Tube Logic approach, Katana MkII delivers the authentic output distortion characteristics of genuine tube amplifiers, with the sound and feel becoming richer and more responsive as you turn up the volume. But unlike that classic tube amp, Katana MkII’s variable Power Control makes it easy to fly in the sweet spot without getting fired from the gig or kicked out of the house. Just throttle back the overall volume as needed to enjoy inspiring, cranked-amp sound anywhere you play, from the bedroom to stage.
Amplify Your External Gear: The Katana-50 MkII rocks as a standalone amp, but it also excels as a powered cabinet for a favourite preamp, modeller, or multi-effects unit. Connecting to the rear-panel Power Amp In jack bypasses Katana MkII’s preamp and effects, letting you tap straight into the Tube Logic power section, complete with grab-and-go Power Control. And with Boss Tone Studio, the input can be easily optimised for your particular gear with a high-pass filter and adjustable gain.
One-Touch Recall of Custom Setups: One of the Katana-50 MkII’s most powerful features is the ability to store favourite amp character and effects setups in Tone Setting memories for instant recall. After you’ve dialled in a sound with the panel controls, simply save it to the desired memory with a quick button hold. Four Tone Settings (two banks of two) are available, with fast selection right from the panel. It’s also possible to connect external footswitches for hands-free control on the gig.
Ready-to-Mix Direct Tones: The Katana-50 MkII features USB and phones/recording outputs with mic’d cabinet emulation, letting you send mix-ready amp tones to a computer DAW or headphones. The direct sound can be shaped with three different Air Feel settings, which are accessible from Boss Tone Studio. Two-channel USB operation is supported, allowing you to track in true stereo with many of Katana’s modulation, EQ, delay, and reverb effects.
Boss Tone Studio Enhancements: Boss Tone Studio has also evolved alongside the Katana MkII amplifiers. The interface has been updated with a refreshed look, and a number of parameters have been consolidated into the main screen for faster workflow. There’s also a dedicated Pedal FX category, making it easier to assign wah and pedal bend effects to a connected expression pedal. And if you’re a first-gen Katana owner, it’s possible to import your custom patches and use them all with Katana MkII.
- Stage-ready 50-watt combo amp with a custom 12-inch speaker
- Tube Logic design approach produces class-defying power, authoritative punch, and cutting presence
- Five unique amp characters (Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brown, and Acoustic), plus newly voiced variations for each
- Five independent effects sections (Booster, Mod, FX, Delay, and Reverb), with three selectable variations in each
- Dedicated Pedal FX for foot-controlled wah and pedal bend
- Updated BOSS Tone Studio software for customizing your sound with over 60 different BOSS effects, channel and global EQs, adjustable routing, and much more
- Power Amp In for preamps, modelers, and multi-effects
- Four Tone Setting memories for storing and recalling all amp and effect settings
- Power Control for achieving cranked-amp tone and response at low volumes
- Three Cab Resonance options (Vintage, Modern, and Deep), selectable in BOSS Tone Studio
- Mic’d cabinet emulation on the USB and phones/recording outputs, with three Air Feel settings available in BOSS Tone Studio
- Rear-panel connections for up to two footswitches or an expression pedal
- Pro setups available at BOSS Tone Central
- Rated Power Output - 50 W
- Nominal Input Level
- - INPUT: -10 dBu (1 M ohm)
- - AUX IN: -10 dBu (20 k ohms)
- Speaker - 30 cm (12 inches) x 1
- - POWER switch
- - MASTER knob
- - POWER CONTROL switch (STANDBY, 0.5 W, 25 W, 50 W)
- - VARIATION button
- - AMP TYPE switch (ACOUSTIC, CLEAN, CRUNCH, LEAD, BROWN)
- - GAIN knob
- - VOLUME knob
- - BASS knob
- - MIDDLE knob
- - TREBLE knob
- [MULTI EFFECT]
- - BOOSTER button
- - MOD button
- - FX button
- - DELAY button
- - REVERB button
- - TAP button
- - BOOSTER knob
- - MOD knob
- - FX knob
- - DELAY knob
- - REVERB knob
- [TONE SETTING]
- - CH1 button
- - CH2 button
- - PANEL button
- - VARIATION
- - BOOSTER
- - MOD
- - FX
- - DELAY
- - REVERB
- - TAP
- - CH1
- - CH2
- - PANEL
- - INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- - POWER AMP IN jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- - REC OUT/PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - XP PEDAL/CTL CH1/CH2 jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- - AUX IN jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- - USB port: USB B type
- - AC IN jack
- Power Consumption - 47 W
- - Owner's manual
- - Power cord
- Options (sold separately)
- - Footswitch: BOSS FS-5L, BOSS FS-6, BOSS FS-7
- - Expression pedal: Roland EV-5, BOSS EV-30, BOSS FV-500L, BOSS FV-500H
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- - Width 470 mm, 18-9/16 inches
- - Depth 238 mm, 9-3/8 inches
- - Height 398 mm, 15-11/16 inches
- - Weight 11.6 kg, 25 lbs 10 oz
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.
Amazing & powerful amplifier with an immense set of additional different sound possibilities with Tone Studio (laptop), or Katana library (mobile phone). From the pure classical sound to the most rocky and sophisticated ones. Roland professional sound technology at the service of music !
Great sound great range
Brilliant, does everything expected and more. Worth every penny.
A great amp. Perfect for home use, plenty of power for live applications too. Useable tones and realistic effects. All wrapped up at an incredible price.
Excellent value for money amp. It’s loud and inspirational