Boss RC-505 MKII Desktop Loop Station
Boss RC-505 MKII Desktop Loop Station
The flagship Desktop, hand-operated Looper from the Boss RC Loop Station Series.
Overview By GAK
The RC-505MKII is the most sophisticated and advanced hand-operated looper in Boss’ illustrious RC range. This is perfect for advanced loop pedal users, beatboxers, vocalists, multi-instrumentalists or any creative-minded performers.
Designed with the input from some of the biggest Loop artists in the game, Boss has been able to ensure that the RC-505MKII is stage and performance-ready. From listening intently to user feedback on the RC-505, the MK2 delivers substantial and groundbreaking features that have come directly from the looping community. The RC-505MKII is the Loop Station of the people!
With its lightweight (1.8KG) and compact size, the RC-505MKII is the perfect gigging companion. It’s small enough to fit in a backpack and powerful enough to run even the most advanced loop pedal set up. If you’re looking for a case to protect the Boss RC-505MKII on the move, it fits in the Boss CB-ME80 Guitar Multi-Effects Bag.
Boasting 5 Tracks, 13 Hour recording time and crystal clear audio thanks to the 32-bit floating-point processor, the RC-505MKII sounds better than ever before.
With a huge increase in total recording time, users of the RC-505MKII can store far more ideas/tracks across the 99 memories. With a maximum of 1.5 hours of audio per memory, your loops can be as long and as detailed as you dare to make them. You can even use the Loop Station as a field recorder, capturing the audio of live sets, rehearsals or songwriting sessions and backup the entire memory onto a computer.
By doubling the power of the processor from the previous RC-505, the MKII not only runs faster, it sounds noticeably better too. With a 32 bit processor, you can continuously add overdubs on a single track without degrading the audio quality.
The processor has also enabled faster file import, so if you want to use your own WAV files, use Boss Tone Studio to import to RC-505MKII.
As well as a substantial upgrade to the sound quality, Boss has also armed the RC-505MKII with more audio inputs, audio outputs and more External footswitch/Expression options.
The RC-505 MKII features x2 XLR Mic Inputs (both provide Phantom Power) and x2 sets of stereo jack 1/4" inputs - this Desktop Looper is able to power huge live rigs.
You could have a Dynamic Mic plugged into one of the XLR ins, a Condensor Mic in another, and either x2 stereo instruments/x4 mono sound sources connected to the jack inputs. Plus, there is both Compressor or a Noise Suppressor which can be utilised via Input Dynamics on your MIC inputs.
You can easily run vocals, a guitar, a bass, a keyboard and use another mic for experimentation, at the same time. Plus, to further optimise each instrument connected to the Loop Station can be adjusted with the Input EQ. The RC-505MKII can handle it all!
Boss has also expanded the Effects Section, meaning you can add character to your performances and stand out from the crowd.
You’ll find all the effects from the RC-505, plus: RADIO, SUSTAINER, AUTO RIFF, ELECTRIC, HARMONIST MANUAL, HARMONIST AUTO, OSC VOCODER, CSC BOT, PREAMP, STEREO, ENHANCE, VIBRATO, REVERSE DELAY, MOD DELAY, WARP, TWIST, FREEZE, GATE REVERB and REVERSE REVERB.
As well as the above effects, you can use functions like Half-speed and Double speed. These functions are separated from the FX sections!
For users that need even larger looper setups, you can chain two RC-505MKIIs together via MIDI, creating a 10 track loop station!
The RC-505MKII also includes x3 sets of stereo 1/4" Jack Outputs, which can even be used as x6 Mono Outs. You can choose to have a Master mix and x2 Sub Outputs sent to a mixer/FOH Sound Tech or DAW. With such a wide array of input/output assignments, you can appease even the fussiest of sound engineers.
To remain in control of such a powerful amount of audio-routing, Boss has also given the RC-505MKII a dedicated Input Mixer. The input mixer lets you set all your levels before you start your recording or performance. You have also got a mute function on every input, meaning you can select which inputs are recorded.
You could even use one of the inputs to run a backing track and bypass the recording section, meaning it will be heard via the outputs and not recorded to a loop. This will make performing with the RC-505MKII smoother - No more level-peaks while recording your tracks or overdubs!
The RC-505MKII also comes with more External footswitch/Expression options. You’ll find x2 1/4" TRS CTL Inputs, which can be used to run x4 footswitch or x2 Expression assignments. The Boss RC-505MKII has a total of 16 assignments, with a huge selection of parameters to choose from.
You can personalise the workflow of RC-505MKII to your own needs. with Flexible Assign, you can assign a huge array of functions to the FX or Track buttons, as well as the FX knob. This way, you can customise the RC-505MKII so it suits you best for your performance.
With all this additional control and assignability, you may worry that it’d be hard to use, but you couldn’t be more wrong.
Boss has increased the size of the LCD Screen and faders for much easier control/navigation, as well as providing clearly labelled buttons across the front panel. The layout is remarkably familiar and each button is backlit so you can find everything in dark stage lighting.
Each of the 5 tracks features the popular red Loop Countdown LED, giving you a visual cue for where you are in the loop and ensuring you keep in time.
The Boss RC-505MKII has been specifically designed to make performing looper sets easier. With the introduction of the new features, Bounce In and Mark Back, you are given more tools for recording your performances easily.
Bounce In is an extremely useful tool to free up or relocate tracks on your looper in real-time. You can combine tracks that you have already recorded and bounce a mix of them to a free track on the looper or move an individual track to a different location.
You could have created 3 separate loops on tracks 1, 2 and 3, which you have decided will be a particular section of a song or you just want to move Track 4 to Track 5. Instead of having to launch these three tracks individually, simply use Bounce In to merge them into a single track.
Use Mark Back to set a marker within a loop, which you can quickly go back to at the touch of a button. I.E. You may have recorded a 16 bar loop, but you want to jump to halfway through for a quick “half-verse”. This function works per track and can be a very creative tool for your performances.
The Boss RC-505MKII seamlessly integrates into almost any studio setup. With the in-built USB Audio Interface, you can use the RC-505MKII to send 8 audio tracks to your favourite DAW. These can match the audio assignments you have set to the analog outputs in parallel too.
Simply Arm 8 different audio tracks in your DAW and you can mix the tracks with all the options available in your recording software without it recording on the looper.
The RC-505MKII also has some really useful MIDI assignments, which can be used to sync with external hardware or recording software. You can sync to the MIDI Clock of a DAW or external piece of hardware via the MIDI Input or via the USB port. The RC-505MKII can be either the master or slave to any MIDI Clock source!
For users that like to use Rhythms to support their performances, the RC-505MKII has an all-new Rhythm Section. You’ll find 200 patterns, each with A/B/C/D variations and 16 brand new drum kit sounds covering a wide range of musical genres.
You can use the sophisticated MIDI capabilities to read MIDI Note information from an external piece of hardware to trigger the sounds in the RC-505MKII’s Rhythm Section.
Boss RC-505MKII FAQs
What are the main differences between RC-505 and RC-505MKII?
- Better sound quality - 16 bit -> 32 bit
- Longer recording time - 3 hours -> 13 hours
- New 45 mm long durable faders
- Bigger display – LCD -> Large LCD
- More inputs – 1 x Stereo, 1 x XLR -> 2 x Stereo, 2 x XLR
- More Outputs – 2 x Stereo -> 3 x Stereo (can be used as 6 mono outs also)
- New Input and Track Effects
- New Rhythm section (new drum sounds with 16 drumkits and 200 Rhythm
patterns with variation A/B/C/D)
- Input Mixer, Input EQ, Input Dynamics for the MIC IN, Output EQ
- More External footswitch / Expression options
- Assignable Track and FX buttons
- The industry-standard tabletop looper, updated and enhanced
- Class-leading sound quality with 32-bit AD/DA and 32-bit floating-point processing
- Five simultaneous stereo phrase tracks with dedicated controls and independent volume faders
- Input FX and Track FX sections, each with four simultaneous effects and four quick-access banks
- Customizable FX and Track buttons for each phrase track
- Massive onboard effects selection with 49 Input FX types and 53 Track FX types, including new Harmony, Electric FX, and many others
- New ultra-durable faders with longer throw for more precise adjustment
- Newly added Mark Back function provides enhanced undo/redo flexibility while performing
- Two XLR mic inputs with phantom power, two stereo line input pairs, and three stereo line output pairs
- 99 memories, each containing five phrase tracks, custom effects and playback settings, control assignments, and more
- Synchronize your loops with over 200 onboard rhythm patterns and 16 drum kits
- Deep MIDI control support
- Two external control jacks, each with support for up to two footswitches or an expression pedal
- USB for data backup, phrase import/export with BOSS Tone Studio, and pattern import with the RC Rhythm Converter
- Sampling Frequency - 44.1 kHz
- AD/DA Conversion - 32 bits
- Processing - 32-bit floating point
- - Number of Tracks: 5
- - Data Format: WAV (44.1 kHz, 32-bit float, stereo)
- - Maximum Recording Time: Approx. 1.5 hours (1 track), Approx.13 hours (total of All memories)
- Rhythm Type - 200 types or greater
- Rhythm Kit - 16 types
- - INPUT FX: 49 types
- - TRACK FX: 53 types
- - MASTER FX: 2 types
- Memory - 99
- Nominal Input Level
- - MIC 1, 2 INPUT: -40 dBu
- - INST 1, 2 INPUT: -10 dBu
- Maximum Input Level
- - MIC 1, 2 INPUT: 0 dBu
- INST 1, 2 INPUT: +7 dBu/+20 dBu (selectable)
- Input Impedance
- - MIC 1, 2 INPUT: 3k ohms
- - INST 1, 2 INPUT: 1 M ohms/25 k ohms (selectable)
- Nominal Output Level
- - MAIN OUTPUT: -10 dBu
- - SUB 1, 2 OUTPUT: -10 dBu
- Maximum Output Level
- - MAIN OUTPUT: +7 dBu
- - SUB 1, 2 OUTPUT: +7 dBu
- Output Impedance
- - MAIN OUTPUT: 1 k ohm
- - SUB 1, 2 OUTPUT: 1 k ohm
- Recommended Load Impedance
- - MAIN OUTPUT: 10 k ohms or greater
- - SUB 1, 2 OUTPUT: 10 k ohms or greater
- TRACK1--5 REC/PLAY button, TRACK1--5 STOP button, TRACK1--5 TRACK button, TRACK1--5 FX button, ALL START/STOP button, UNDO/REDO button, TAP TEMPO button, RHYTHM START/STOP button, RHYTHM EDIT button, INPUT FX A--D button, INPUT FX EDIT button, TRACK FX A--D button, TRACK FX EDIT button, MENU button, LOOP button, ENTER button, EXIT button, PAGE buttons, 1--4 knobs, OUTPUT LEVEL knob, TRACK1--5 LEVEL Faders
- Display - Graphic LCD (128 x 64 dots, backlit LCD)
- - MIC IN 1, 2 jack: XLR type (balanced, phantom power: DC 48 V, 10 mA Max
- - INST IN 1, 2 jacks, MAIN OUT jacks, SUB OUT 1, 2 jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
- - PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - CTL1,2/EXP1 jack, CTL3,4/EXP2 jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- - USB port: USB B type
- - MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
- - DC IN jack
- Power Supply - AC adaptor
- Current Draw
- - 1.0 A (with phantom power)
- - 0.9 A (without phantom power)
- - AC adaptor
- - Owner's Manual
- - Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
- Options (sold separately)
- - Footswitch: FS-5U
- - Dual Footswitch: FS-6, FS-7
- - Expression Pedal: FV-500H, FV-500L, EV-30, Roland EV-5
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- Width - 420 mm, 16-9/16 inches
- Depth - 234 mm, 9-1/4 inches
- Height - 67 mm, 2-11/16 inches
- Weight - 1.8 kg, 4 lbs
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.