Darkglass Microtubes 500 V2 Bass Head
Darkglass Microtubes 500 V2
Overview By GAK
The Darkglass Microtubes 500 V2 is a sleek, lightweight and compact-sized bass amp, packing a meaty punch and dynamic tone, that’s become synonymous to this relatively new brand. Darkglass was introduced to the scene in 2016, and have already established themselves as a premium amp manufacture, providing a bass tone that bass players across the industry are lusting after.
The Microtubes V2 has a whopping 500-Watt of power RMS, with a custom-designed, highly-efficient, class D power amp. This second version of the Darkglass Microtubes Bass Module now enables the usage of a wider range of speaker cabs, now including cabs with an impedance as low as 2Ω, as well as compatibility with 4Ω and 8Ω cabinets too.
Darkglass have listened to the great feedback they have received from their users, and have implemented a new internal cabinet simulation feature, which improves on the technology from the Darkglass Electronics’ Cab Sim/IR Module. The Darkglass Microtubes 500 V2 has three slots available for you to use your own hi-res impulse responses, which are active on both the headphone and balanced XLR DI output. This not only makes the Microtubes 500v2 a great device for recording but also the ideal tool for silent practising, as you are able to add in audio from the auxiliary input, as well as the Microtubes 500v2. This means you can play along to your favourite songs, without having to buy any other equipment.
Darkglass have added a studio-grade one-knob VCA compressor with intelligent makeup gain, ensuring there is a consistency in levels. Darkglass has also upgraded the 4-band EQ, that was found on the previous 500 model, to a new ultra-quiet graphic 6-band equalizer.
For more information on the amazing capabilities of this little powerhouse, check out the Features/Spec section.
Overview By Darkglass
Introducing the Darkglass Microtubes 500 V2 - 500 Watt Bass Amplification Evolution
Darkglass Electronics may only have been in the bass amplifier market a short while, but what started out as a daring, experiment in a highly competitive industry segment in 2016 is now a thriving and celebrated family of powerful and flexible amplifiers that fulfil a multitude of desires for the modern bass player. With the Microtubes 500v2, this new legacy is sure to continue and allow even more bass players to get the latest developments. Plus, with its sleek package with the instantly recognizable Darkglass design on the outside, this amplifier packs a real punch on the inside, despite its seemingly inconspicuous size.
Microtubes 500v2 features both of Darkglass’ celebrated Microtubes drive engines. From the powerful dynamic saturation circuit from the B3K to the classic overdriven tone from the Vintage Microtubes, clean, classic drive and metal tones are only a step away.
An all-new and custom-designed Darkglass high-efficiency class D power amplifier module sits at the heart of this innovative 500-Watt amplifier. This superior module enables the usage of speaker cabs with impedance as low as 2Ω, adding a new level of flexibility for your cabinet options.
The new internal cabinet simulation is a much-requested feature, which utilizes an improved version of Darkglass Electronics’ Cab Sim/IR module. With three slots for hi-res impulse responses, which are active for both the headphone output and the balanced XLR DI output, Microtubes 500v2 is a great device for recording. Add in the auxiliary input and the Microtubes 500v2 is also the ideal tool for silent practising too.
On top of all that, Darkglass have added a studio-grade one-knob VCA compressor with intelligent makeup gain for level consistency, while a new ultra-quiet graphic 6-band equalizer now replaces the 4-band version on the previous 500 model.
All of these features combined, as well as the others listed in the Features/Spec section, place the Microtubes 500v2 among the most versatile amplifiers on the market. Hardly ever before has such a powerful sonic tool been packed into such compact and light-weight format.
- Custom-designed Darkglass high-efficiency class D power amplifier module
- 500 W RMS Power Output
- 8/4/2 Ohm load compatible
- Analog preamp with Passive/Active input switch
- Switchable Vintage Microtubes and Microtubes B3K analog drive/distortion circuits
- Separate Microtubes engine Tone and Drive/Clean Blend controls
- Three speaker cab Impulse Response slots, selectable via the Cab Select switch
- Built-in adjustable studio-grade VCA compressor
- Ultra-quiet 6-band graphic EQ
- XLR DI Output with ground lift
- FX Loop
- 3.5mm Auxiliary input
- Headphone output with cabinet simulation
- USB to connect to free Darkglass Suite (for Mac/PC)
- -Loads Impulse Responses
- -Control for the VCA Compressor (programmable on/off per channel)
- Compatible with Intelligent and Super Intelligent Footswitches (sold separately)
- The Microtubes 500v2 is a 500W amplifier equipped with an all-analog preamplifier, custom-designed Darkglass high-efficiency class D Module, an ultra-quiet graphic equalizer, and a digital impulse-response cabinet emulator for DI outputs or headphones.
- Front Panel Features
- Use this jack to connect your instrument via a standard ¼” mono cable.
- Use this push-button switch to change from passive to active mode. If your bass is active it can have a hotter signal making the amp to distort early (feel free to use if such additional distortion is desired).
- Use this push button to turn on or off the Microtubes Engine to add natural compression, organic harmonic enhancement, and saturation ranging from mild overdrive to high gain bass rage.
- This knob controls the amount of distortion that the Microtubes Engine will deliver. It will change from a soft warm overdrive to a massive modern distortion sound.
- This knob controls the high harmonic content of the Microtubes Engine via a variable low pass filter: crank it up for additional attack and definition or dim it down for a smoother sound, especially handy if already running bright clean EQ setting or cabinets with tweeters.
- Use this knob to control Microtubes Engine’s output volume.
- Use this knob to mix between the Clean signal and the DIstortion signal (Microtubes Engine).
- This push-button switch selects between two overdrive voicings: B3K® mode will deliver an aggressive, percussive sound while the VMT will bring up the mids for a warmer, more neutral character.
- +-12dB at 80Hz. Use this knob to change the low content of the signal.
- +-12dB at 250, 500,1.5K and 3Khz. This graphic eq control the mid content of the signal.
- +-12dB at 5kHz. Use this knob to change the high content of the signal.
- Use this knob to control the overall volume of the amplifier.
- Use this push button to mute the amplifier.
- · No user-serviceable parts inside the amplifier. Do not open the amp.
- · Never use the amp at a high moisture environment or near liquids.
- · The Microtubes 500 can deliver more than 115 dB of power. Exposure to this level of sound can damage your hearing. Use proper hearing protection if you will be exposed.
- · The Microtubes 500 can deliver more than 500 Watts. Be sure that your speaker cabinet is able to deliver that power.
- · Do not cover the vent holes. The Fan and vent holes are part of the cooling system of the amp. Covering the vent holes can damage the power amp by overheating it.
- · Don’t use an instrument cable as speaker cable. An instrument cable is not designed to deliver the type of power signals sent from the amplifier to the speaker.
- Back Panel Features
- Speaker Output
- Use this connector to connect the amplifier to your cabinet. This Speakon combo jack allows for either Speakon or ¼” speaker cable operation.
- WARNING: Do not use an instrument cable with this jack. Using an instrument cable can damage your amplifier.
- Use this output to send the signal to effects pedals.
- Use this input to receive the signal from effects pedals. Master volume control is after this input.
- Ground Lift
- Use this control to lift the ground of the DI XLR output. If you are experiencing ground noise in your DI signal try changing the setting of this control.
- DI Output
- Use this connector to send your signal to the console, mic preamp, interface, etc. Both signals are available (Bypass and the amp signal with cabinet simulation) and are switched from the cab select switch.
- The USB connector allows you to use the Darkglass Suite to load different cabinet impulses or change different parameters on your amp.
- Headphone Output
- Connect your Headphones and enjoy the impulse based cabinet emulation.
- AUX IN
- Use this connector to provide to the Headphone output music from your laptop, cellphone, mp3 player, etc.
- Cabinet Select
- Use this switch to navigate between the 3 different cabinet impulses or the clean DI signal.
- The Intelligent Footswitch is proprietary digitally controlled device that allows you to remotely engage and disengage the Microtubes Engine. You can also hold the footswitch to Mute the amplifier. The VMT/B3K® push button will remain operational with the Intelligent Footswitch plugged in.
- · You can use a regular mono instrument cable to connect the amplifier to the footswitch.
- · You must remove the cable from the footswitch jack in the rear panel if you want to control the amp from the front panel.
- AC Socket
- Use this connector to feed electric power to the amplifier. 100 - 230 VAC, 50Hz-60.
- AC Power ON/OFF
- Use this Switch to release the audio energy from your bass.
- In the interest of continuous improvement, specifications are subject to change without notice. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at www.darkglass.com
- The manufacturer claims that the above product fulfills the requirements as set by EN55013, EN55020, EN60555-2, EN60555-3, RoHS, WEEE.