Electro-Harmonix Grand Canyon Delay Looper Pedal
The Electro Harmonix Grand Canyon Delay Looper is EHX’s most advanced multifunction delay and looper pedal. It expands on its predecessor, the Electro Harmonix Canyon Delay Looper, offering 12 effect types (instead of the original Canyon’s 10 effects): Echo, Mod, Multi, Reverse, DMM, Tape, Reverb, Pitch, Shim, Sample/Hold, Drum, and Doubler. From these, you can create huge soundscapes, ambient tones, shimmering sounds, and it’s great for experimenting with the distinct delays and secondary effects to find your favourite combinations. It’s convenient top-mounted jacks mean it will fit nicely into your pedalboard without taking up too much space.
It retains the 3 second delay time of the original, but the Looper on this model has a substantially longer recording time - 16 minutes as opposed to the original 62 seconds, letting you record a huge amount of overdubs and allowing for more experimentation.
The Grand Canyon has stereo outputs to get the ‘wall of sound’ tones, and a second footswitch exclusively for tap tempo and looper functions. It’s still a pretty compact pedal considering all the features it packs in.
The pedal has three modes: Delay, Looper, and Looper and Delay together where you can have a selected delay effect on your looped sound.
There are 4 knobs each of which has delay functions and looper functions (aside from ‘Loop Level’)
Delay Level / Dry Cut - which sets the balance between your dry signal and the delay effects, and for the Looper it works as a reverse volume control for the dry signal.
Loop Level - Controls the output volume of the looper’s playback.
Feedback / Dub Level - which controls the number of repeats of the delayed signal, and Delay which controls the delay time of the pedal for all delay types. For the Looper, it acts as feedback control.
Delay / Fadeout - Controls the delay time of the pedal for all delay types, and for the Looper, it sets the loop’s fadeout time from the current volume level to silent.
The black Delay Type knob lets you select from 13 different delay effects - Echo, Mod, Multi, Reverse, DMM, Tape, Reverb, Pitch, Shim, Sample/Hold, Drum, and Doubler, with Pitch, Drum, and Double being new additions from the original. Pitch provides pitch-shifted echoes, cascading echo repeats, while Drum emulates a classic Binson Echorec style delay, and Double makes a mono signal thicker and creates a stereo sound.
For a simple, compact version of this pedal, consider the original Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay Looper Pedal, which is especially good if you need something smaller.
The Grand Canyon is EHX’s most advanced multifunction delay and looper pedal. It’s equipped with 12 effect types plus a fully featured looper capable of recording and overdubbing the Grand Canyon’s effects.
The pedal provides superior sound quality, up to three seconds of delay time, tap tempo and nine tap divide settings, stereo output, 13 presets, programmable EXP pedal settings, high-quality analogue bypass with soft switching and more. The Grand Canyon’s 13 modes are:1. ECHO - pristine 24-bit digital delay with available bit crush/sample rate reduction and low/high pass filtering
2. MOD - Modulated delay, yields rich flanger, chorus, vibrato, warble and more
3. MULTI - Multi-tap delay, set the exact number of echo repeats up to 31. Includes adjustable swell or decay volume envelopes on repeats.
4. REVERSE - Reverse delay, an easy-to-use reverse delay with an intelligent pick detection algorithm for great sounding reverse echoes
5. DMM - Deluxe Memory Man, re-creates the luscious tone of EHX ‘s legendary bucket-brigade delay pedal
6. TAPE - Tape Delay, simulates the organic sound of an analogue tape, echo machine including tape distortion, wow and flutter
7. REVERB - Plate reverb plus echo. A reverberant echo where each repeat is followed by a wash of gorgeous plate reverb. Can also be used as a pure reverb without the delay
8. PITCH - EHX's critically acclaimed polyphonic pitch shifting plus digital delay provides pitch-shifted echoes and cascading echo repeats
9. SHIM - Shimmer generates a rich octave-shifted wash of shimmering soundscapes
10. SAMPLE/HOLD - Sample and hold, senses a note being played and produces echoes indefinitely until another note is detected
11. DRUM - Magnetic drum echo that faithfully emulates a classic Binson Echorec® style delay. Features an assortment of playback head configurations that let you create musical, rhythmic, echo patterns
12. DOUBLE- Thickens up a mono signal or creates a stereo spread. Includes detune and delay time offset of the left and right outputs
13. LOOPER - Looper with up to 16 minutes of recording time. Includes unlimited overdubs, undo/redo, dedicated stop button, loop fade-out, reverse and speed adjust.
- - Advanced multifunction delay and looper with up to three seconds of delay time
- - 12 effect types that cover a ton of tonal real estate to fuel your creativity: ECHO, MOD, MULTI, REVERSE, DMM, TAPE, REVERB, PITCH, SHIM, SAMPLE/HOLD, DRUM, DOUBLER
- - Tails feature. Select whether the echoes fade out naturally or stops immediately when the pedal is switched to bypass mode
- - Tap tempo with nine tap divide subdivisons
- - Up to 16 minutes of recording time on the fully featured looper
- - Loop audio remains in the Grand Canyon until you erase it, even after removing power
- - 13 presets can be saved or recalled
- - 3-button footswitch connector for remote operation
- - EHX 9.6VDC-200mA power supply included
- - Current Draw: 150mA @ 9VDC
- - Dimensions in inches: 4.75(w) x 4(l) x 2.25(h)
- - Dimensions in mm: 121(w) x 102(l) x 57(h)
In my opinion, The best delay pedal that money can buy.
The stereo delay options are limitless. The sound is simply amazing. The looper part is very counter intuitive and awkward. They also could have dropped the silly Grand Canyon drawing and used larger fonts for the pedal's features. You almost need a magnifying glass to read them!