Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor-II PRO, Vintage Sunburst
The Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor-II PRO is the signature guitar of one of Jazz's most prolific and groundbreaking electric guitarists. The is a true archtop guitar, with hand-scalloped bracing and sound post, that's great for jazz. But it's more versatile than that description might suggest. Epiphone have given it their critically acclaimed new ProBucker pickups, with coil-taps, meaning it's great for getting a little heavier styles too. Plus it also has the new Graphtech NuBone XL nut to help keep everything in tune during big bends.
During his long career, Joe Pass made use of his advanced harmonic knowledge and seemingly bottomless well of melodic ideas. These made him the premier accompanist for some of the top performers in the world of jazz including Les McCaan, Ella Fitzgerald, Chet Baker, Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown, and Milt Jackson.
The Joe Pass Emperor II PRO is Epiphone's tribute to Joe, who was a great inspiration to many musicians, from both within and without the jazz sphere, and a friend to Epiphone and guitarists throughout the world.
Call GAK now for jazz guitar info and advice and the UK's best instrument deals - 01273 665400
- Top: Select Spruce, arched with hand-scalloped bracing and sound post
- Back and Sides: Laminated Flame Top
- Scale: 24.75"
- Nut Width: 1.68"
- Nut: Graphtech® NuBone XL™
- Neck Joint: Mortise and tenon
- Neck: 3 pc laminated hard Maple
- Neck Shape: 1960s SlimTaper™ C-Profile
- Truss Rod: Adjustable
- Fingerboard: Rosewood with pearloid block inlays
- Truss Rod Cover: 2-ply; (Black/White); "Joe Pass Emperor-II PRO" in White
- Frets: 20 medium jumbo
- Fingerboard Radius: 12
- -Top 5-ply (Ivory/Black)
- -Back: 5-ply (Ivory/Black)
- -Neck: 5-ply (Ivory/Black)
- -Headstock: 5-ply (Ivory/Black)
- -"F" Holes: 1-ply (Ivory/Black)
- Neck Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker-2™
- Bridge Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker-3™
- Bridge: Floating Rosewood; Thumbwheel Adjustable height
- Tailpiece: "Vintage "Scroll" Trapeze
- Pickguard: Bound "Tortoise" Pickguard with metal "E"
- Hardware: Nickel (gold)
- -Bridge Volume with coil-tapping
- -Neck Volume with coil-tapping
- -3-way pickup selector (toggle) w/ivory toggle
- Knobs: Top Hats with metal inserts (Volume/Tone)
- Machine Heads; Grover® Rotomatic™, 18:1 ratio
- Strings: D'Addario® 10-46 gauge
Looks beautiful. Up close though there are a lot of imperfections - rough edges etc which highlight the relative budget price point. Handles jazz style nicely, only gripe is that it comes with a very high action out of the factory though and is not very versatile to handle any other genre (Imagine most would guess this anyway).
My first jazz guitar and I am really bowled over by it: can’t put it down. A couple of minor things which are my own personal taste: didn’t like the factory fitted strings and the action was set too high - both easily sorted.
Other than some lack of quality control (truss rod cover screws incorrectly fitted at an angle because of poor drilling, and pickguard retaining screw loose) the guitar is excellent value in my opinion at the price I paid (just under £500). I am really enjoying the quality of the sound (which pleasantly surprised me bearing in mind that this is a relatively low budget mass produced guitar), and the finish is impressive for the money. The machine heads work very well. Overall very pleased. Would have been five stars if there had been no quality control issues.