Epiphone Lee Malia RD Custom LTD Artisan Outfit, Walnut
Epiphone Product Overview
Designed with Lee Malia of Bring Me the Horizon, the custom Artisan features the vintage 1970s “RD” profile in Lee’s signature Walnut finish with a Gibson USA P-94 single coil and 84T-LM™ humbucker pickup, vintage style “Artisan” inlay, and custom gigbag with hand-signed Certificate of Authenticity.
The original “RD” line of guitars and basses were first released in the late 70s as a “Research and Development” series that combined cutting edge electronics with classic style. It’s a fitting design for Lee Malia, who has emerged as one of the leading guitarists of his generation for his work in the pioneering pop and metal band Bring Me the Horizon.
Like Lee’s classic Les Paul Artisan, the new Ltd. Ed. Lee Malia RD Custom Artisan Outfit features Malia’s favorite Walnut finish with Ivory and Black binding on the body and headstock along with an “Artisan” floral inlay in pearloid on a smooth Torrefied Composite fingerboard. The Mahogany body has a Maple top to add bite to the tone. The Mahogany neck has an easy-to-play “1959” Rounded “C” profile with a 24.75” scale length. The black traditional “clipped ear” headstock also has floral inlay with a pearloid “Epiphone” logo in 60s era typeface with a “Lee Malia” signature inlay on the back.
To get his distinctive tone, Lee Malia prefers the combination of a sensitive P-94 single coil pickup for rhythm and a powerful Gibson 84T-LM humbucker for solos. In between the two pickups under the pickguard is a "Dummy Coil" that cancels the “hum” when in single-coil mode. Classic “TopHat” knobs with metal inserts control neck and bridge Volume and Tone. The bridge volume pot also serves as a coil-spitting control (via a push/pull switch) so the humbucker can also be used as a single-coil pickup.
Lee Malia’s Ltd. Ed. RD Custom Artisan features stylish gold hardware including premium 14:1 ratio die-cast machine heads with "tulip" buttons plus Epiphone’s road worthy exclusive non-rotating, heavy duty output jack with a metal output jack plate. Set up and intonation is easy thanks to the classic combo of a LockTone™ Tune-o-matic bridge and Stopbar tailpiece. The three-way toggle switch is on the upper bout. A custom gigbag and a Certificate of Authenticity hand-signed by Lee Malia are also included.
- Top Material: Maple
- Body Material: Mahogany
- Neck Material: Mahogany
- Neck Shape: "1959" Rounded; C-Profile
- Neck Joint: Glued-In, Set Neck
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Headstock: Epiphone "Clipped Ear"
- Headstock Inlay: "Epiphone" logo in pearloid, Classic "Artisan" floral pattern in pearloid
- Truss Rod: Yes
- Truss Rod Cover: Black "Bell" Shape; 2-layer (B/W), "RD Artisan" in white
- Fingerboard Material: Torrefied Composite
- Fingerboard Radius: "12"
- Fingerboard Inlay: Classic "Artisan" floral pattern in pearloid
- Binding: 7-Layer body; Front and back (Ivory/Black), 5-Layer headstock (Ivory/Black), 1-Layer fingerboard (Ivory)
- Nut Ivory; Artificial Bone
- Nut Width: 1-11/16"
- Pickguard: Black; 4-layer (W/B/W/B); PVC
- Hardware: Gold
- Machine Heads: Premium Diecast with metal "tulip" buttons; 14:1 ratio
- Neck Pickup: Gibson USA P-94™ Single Coil
- Middle Pickup: "Dummy Coil"; Cancels Hum in single-coil mode
- Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA 84T-LM™ Humbucker
- Controls: 1-Neck Volume, 1-Neck Tone, 1-Bridge Volume with coil-tapping, 1-Bridge Tone
- Pickup Selector: 3-way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal; Toggle Cap = White
- Knobs: Black tophats with metal inserts
- Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic
- Tailpiece: LockTone Stopbar
- Output Jack: Epiphone Exclusive Non-rotating, Heavy Duty Output Jack, Metal Output Jack Plate
- Plastic Parts: Black; PVC
- Colors: Walnut (gloss)
- Other: "Lee Malia" signature on back of headstock, "Limited Edition" logo on back of headstock
- Includes: Epiphone StrapLocks, Hand-Signed COA in presentation binder, Premium Gigbag
No upgrades available
Straight out of the box and it's killer. Highly recommended
A little beauty,Epiphone getting there act together.As a collector and a player I have to say terrific value.