Eventide UltraTap Digital Delay Pedal
Overview by GAK
The Eventide UltraTap Pedal is a unique multi-tap effect pedal that lets you create glitchy reverbs, swelling chords, rhythmic delays, interesting modulation effects, and huge pad-like swells. The UltraTap is like the ultimate Echoplex, also letting you add as many ‘tape heads’ as you need, while also letting you control their positions and levels, making it incredibly versatile.
The controls you’d normally expect in a multitap delay pedal - Number of Taps, Delay, and Feedback - are just the tip of the iceberg for the UltraTap. There are also controls for Spread, Slurm, and Chop, making it easy to experiment and get creative.
All the control knobs have secondary parameters, which are engaged when pressing the small button next to the Length/Predelay knob
Mix lets you control how dry or wet the mix is, while Tone controls how bright or dark the taps are, turn left for dark, and turn right for bright.
The Taps control allows you to select up to 64 taps, while Slurm controls the slurring/smearing/modulation to create a sound that’s part delay, part reverb.
Length is the total time over which the taps are spaced, up to 4 seconds, and Predelay is the time before the 1st tap, up to 1 second.
Feedback controls the repeats of a length-valued delay that is fed back around the entire multi-tap machine, and Chop works as a 6-way rotary knob - choose between Off and 5 symbols for different kinds of chopping, such as swells and envelope-based effects.
Spread is the spacing of taps, so you can turn left to slow down, and turn right to speed up, with the centre point delivering constant spacing. The Spd/Rise/Rel works with the Chop control, with Spd controlling the LFO rate, Rise controlling the Rise time, and Rel controlling the release time.
For the Taper function, turn left to fade up, turn right to fade down, and centre for equal level, while the Out Lvl lets you Boost or Cut the output level.
Holding down the Tap footswitch lets you toggle between Preset Select and Tap Modes, while the Active/Bypass footswitch lets you choose between latching or momentary, and allows you to save up to 5 presets, and up to 127 with a MIDI connection or with the Eventide Device Manager software, which also allows for system updates.
There’s a rear panel Guitar/Line Level switch for matching levels of guitars, FX loops, synths, or DAW interface. There’s also an EXP out so you can map any combination of parameters to an expression pedal, simply by setting end points for heel and toe.
- Input 1/4" TRS / Mono = Tip, Stereo = Tip & Ring
- Out 1 1/4" TS Mono / Mono Output
- Out 2 1/4" TS Mono / Stereo Output
- EXP 1/4" TRS / Expression pedal, Aux Switch or MIDI I/O
- Mono/Stereo Switch Sets Input to Mono (Tip) or Stereo (Tip + Ring)
- Guitar/Line Level Switch Optimizes internal gain structure
- Mini USB Software updates, MIDI I/O
- DC Input Jack 5.5mm / 2.1mm plug / Center Negative (-)
- "Slurm" An exclusive and innovative control that smears/slurs taps together to create truly unique reverbs and choruses.
- "Chop" and "Spd/Rise/Rel" combine to allow unusual and expressive modulation of the taps based on LFO shapes or the audio's envelope.
- "Feedback" unlocks further tone shaping capability.
- "Taps" selects up to 64 taps to create simple repeats or morph delays into chorus and reverb.
- "Spread" controls the 'distance' between' taps. With the knob centered, the taps are equally spaced, turn clockwise and the later taps are bunched together, counter-clockwise and the early taps are bunched together. Use this control to dial in the perfect rhythmic space between taps.
- Onboard LFOs and envelopes to chop the sound source into stuttered rhythms.
- "Tap Footswitch" allows you to set the tempo of the taps.
- Control the stereo image of taps to alternate between hard-panned and mono.
- Five presets loaded at your feet with dozens more available with Eventide Device Manager (EDM) software.
- Dual-action Active Footswitch is latching or momentary.
- Rear panel Guitar/Line Level switch for matching levels of guitars, synths, FX loops, or DAW interface.
- Map any combination of parameters to an Expression Pedal.
- Use a single Aux switch to Tap Tempo or a triple Aux switch for easy preset changing (up/down/load).
- MIDI capability over TRS (use with a MIDI to TRS cable or converter box) or USB.
- Multiple Bypass options: Buffered, Relay, DSP+FX, or Kill dry.
- Catch-up mode helps dial in your sound when toggling between presets/parameters.
- Eventide Device Manager PC or Mac application for software updates, system settings, and creating/saving presets.
No upgrades available