Focal Shape 50 Active Studio Monitor
Focal Product Overview
Shape 50 is the versatile monitoring loudspeaker par excellence. This monitor can be used from 30″ away (80cm), and it has very extended low end frequency response (50Hz) considering its compact design. Thanks to this design and to the numerous settings, this monitor is ideal for rooms measuring less than 130ft2 (12m2).
Shape has been designed with high definition, neutral midranges, wide/precise stereo imaging and acoustic transparency in mind.
Right off the bat you’ll notice Focal’s newly designed MDF cabinets featuring custom Walnut-Effect veneer. The dimensions of each speaker cabinet throughout the range have been painstakingly calculated to ensure a linear high-end frequency response.
Under the hood, exciting developments are also afoot. Focal have introduced a newly designed ‘flax sandwich cone’ woofer consisting of a layer of flax fibres between two glass fibre layers. The composition of materials is similar to that of the drivers used in Focal’s SM6 and SM9 ranges and delivers predictably striking results.
The Shape models also feature a new M-shape inverted aluminium/magnesium composite tweeter offering a linear frequency response below 6 kHz and optimising the crossover with its woofer counterpart. The rigid design is surrounded by specially designed housing to reduce distortion and provide equal horizontal and vertical directivity.
- Low tweeter directivity for a flexible listening position
- Designed without a port allowing it to be placed near a wall
- Numerous settings for optimal integration
- Accurate control, even in the very high end
- Flax sandwich cone: controlled and articulated bass, natural and detailed lower mid-range and upper mid-range registers
- Threads for ceilling and wall mounts (fastening accessories not supplied)
- Frequency response (+/-3dB): 50Hz - 35kHz
- Maximum SPL (musical signal): 106dB SPL (peak @ 1m)
- Woofer: 5" (13cm) Flax Cone
- Tweeter: 1" (25mm) 'M' profile Aluminum-Magnesium
- Midrange and low frequency amplifier: 60W, class AB
- High frequency amplifier: 25W, class AB
- High pass filter: Adjustable Full range 45/60/90Hz
- Bass settings: Adjustable, +/-6dB
- Midrange/bass settings: Adjustable, +/-3dB
- High settings: Adjustable, +/-3dB
- Connectors: XLR balanced/RCA unbalanced
- Auto-standby: after 30 minutes, no signal
- Switchable voltage: 220-240V / 100-120V
- Finish: Vinyl, real walnut and black painting
- Dimensions with four rubber feet (HxWxD): 12.3 x 7.5 x 9.5" (312 x 191 x 242mm)
- Weight: 20.7lb (6.5kg)
No upgrades available
Good overall but Focal’s QA and customer service weren’t great. Replacement 2nd batch sound excellent.