Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB Audio Interface, 3rd Gen Overview
The 18i20 is the flagship Focusrite Scarlett interface, boasting the most impressive I/O configuration and connectivity.
As part of its 3rd-gen revitalisation, the 18i20 has been upgraded with switchable pads on all eight mic inputs as well as an optical input and output. This permits eight channels of ADAT-format digital audio, which can be accommodated at high sample rates (48kHz or 96kHz through a mic preamp such as a Scarlett OctoPre or OctoPre Dynamic, or four channels at 192 kHz), which greatly expands your recording and mixing capabilities. The 18i20 is arguably the most professional solution and has a vast amount of options as far as hooking up multiple channels for simultaneous recording - it’s like having an entire studio in a box!
With the 18i20’s removable rack mount ears, you can either integrate it into your rack-based rig or take them off so it fits comfortably on your desktop. There’s a built-in talkback functionality which is a bonus when using the 18i20 in a studio setting, as it allows you to easily communicate with the performer between takes. If you have a plethora of instruments that you like to use in your songs, with the 18i20 you can leave them all plugged in and ready to go.
Alternate Speaker Switching
The Scarlett 4i4 is compatible with the free Focusrite Control software. This user-friendly software allows you to configure routing, monitor mixes, playback levels, metering, preamp features and more from your PC, Mac or wirelessly from your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. To download Focusrite Control, simply register your interface and the software will be added to your account.
In addition to one of the best compact audio interfaces around, Focusrite also includes all the software you need to spark new ideas and capture them. You receive access to two industry-standard digital audio workstations (also known as DAWs), Ableton Live Lite and a three-month subscription to Avid Pro Tools Artist so you can start recording your music straight away. You also receive a three-month Splice Sounds subscription that offers a host of free loops, one-shots, presets and more.
When it’s time to process and polish your tracks, you can use the included Focusrite Red Plug-In Suite and the incredible Hitmaker Expansion. The Hitmaker Expansion gives you all the tools to make a chart-ready song, from the authentic sound of Addictive Keys to the powerful vocal processing of Antares Auto-Tune Access.
The Clarett+ 8Pre USB is the “premium” version of the 18i20 and is worth looking into if you’re thinking about upgrading. The 8Pre USB shares the same I/O options as the 18i20, boasts better latency performance and superior Clarett preamps - the finest that Focusrite has built into a USB interface.
In the unlikely event your interface lets you down, all brand-new Scarletts come with a three-year warranty from Focusrite and their support team is friendly and knowledgeable.
- Eight of the best performing mic preamps the Scarlett range has ever seen, now with switchable Air mode to give your recordings a brighter and more open sound
- High-performance converters enable you to record and mix at up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Two high-headroom instrument inputs to plug in your guitar or bass
- Four monitor outputs with anti-thump technology and speaker switching, and onboard talkback functionality with built-in, front panel talkback mic.
- Eight balanced line inputs for connecting synthesisers, drum machine and other line-level sources
- - Ableton Live Lite music-making software
- - 3-month subscription to Pro Tools Artist and the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle
- - 25% off Pro Tools Artist or 33% off Pro Tools Studio annual subscription
- - Fast Balancer
- - A choice of 1 of 4 XLN Audio Addictive Keys virtual instruments
- The Hitmaker Expansion
- - Antares Auto-Tune Access
- - Relab LX480 Essentials
- - Softube Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555
- - XLN Audio Addictive Keys
- - XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2
- - Focusrite Red Plug-in Suite
- - Brainworx bx_console Focusrite SC
- - 2-month subscription to Landr Studio and five free masters to be used any time
- Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen.
- 1 x USB cable (Type C-A)
- IEC Cable (Power cable)
- Connectivity: USB Type-C
- Protocol: USB 2.0
- Form Factor: Rack Mount (1U)
- Simultaneous I/O: 18 x 20
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/192 kHz
- Number of Preamps: 8
- Number of Pads: 8
- Phantom Power: YES
- Instrument Inputs: 2
- Line Inputs: 8
- Analogue Outputs: 10
- Headphone Outputs: 2
- Main/Alt Speaker Switching: YES
- Talkback: YES
- Digital Inputs: S/PDIF & 2 x ADAT
- Digital Outputs: S/PDIF & 2 x ADAT
- Loopback: YES
- MIDI I/O: YES
- Bus Powered: NO
- Included PSU : YES
Fender Original Instrument Cable, 3m/10ft, Fiesta Red
Shure SM57 Dynamic Microphone
Stagg SMC3 XLR Microphone Cable 3m/10ft, Black
Shure SM7B Dynamic Vocal & Instrument Microphone
Stagg SAC1PS DL Balanced Stereo Jack Cable, 1m/3ft
Tiger MCA34 Microphone Boom Stand with Bag, Black
PreSonus Broadcast Accessory Pack
Tiger KYS21 Adjustable Mixer Keyboard Stand