Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB Audio Interface, 3rd Gen Overview
The 18i8 is a top-tier audio interface with an astonishing array of connectivity, professional sound and a wealth of features at an attractive price.
Wealth of Connectivity
Focusrite’s Scarlett 18i8 is equipped with two high headroom instrument inputs, eight balanced line inputs to connect synths or other line-level audio, four balanced outputs for monitoring and effects sends and four monitor outputs, with anti-thump tech and speaker switching. The 18i8’s I/O have been upgraded from 2nd-gen version, with an additional pair of TRS lineouts.
Its high channel count and compact size give it a stunning balance of portability and flexibility. The 18i8 is a great choice for studio owners who need a variety of inputs and world-class sound and engineers that want a portable multi-track recording solution.
The Scarlett 4i4 is compatible with the free Focusrite Control software. This user-friendly software allows you to configure routing, monitor mixes, playback levels, metering, preamp features and more from your PC, Mac or wirelessly from your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. To download Focusrite Control, simply register your interface and the software will be added to your account.
In addition to one of the best compact audio interfaces around, Focusrite also includes all the software you need to spark new ideas and capture them. You receive access to two industry-standard digital audio workstations (also known as DAWs), Ableton Live Lite and a three-month subscription to Avid Pro Tools Artist so you can start recording your music straight away. You also receive a three-month Splice Sounds subscription that offers a host of free loops, one-shots, presets and more.
When it’s time to process and polish your tracks, you can use the included Focusrite Red Plug-In Suite and the incredible Hitmaker Expansion. The Hitmaker Expansion gives you all the tools to make a chart-ready song, from the authentic sound of Addictive Keys to the powerful vocal processing of Antares Auto-Tune Access.
The Clarett 4Pre USB is the “premium” version of the 18i8 and is worth checking out if you’re looking to upgrade or have some extra cash in your soundcard budget. The 4Pre USB has the same I/O configuration as the 18i8 but boasts a quicker latency performance and superior Clarett preamps, which Focusrite claim to be the finest pre-amp they’ve built into a USB interface.
In the unlikely event your interface lets you down, all brand-new Scarletts come with a three-year warranty from Focusrite and their support team is friendly and knowledgeable.
- Four of the best performing mic preamps the Scarlett range has ever seen, now with switchable Air mode to give your recordings a brighter and more open sound
- Two high-headroom instrument inputs to plug in your guitar or bass
- Eight balanced line inputs for connecting synthesisers, drum machine and other line-level sources
- High-performance converters enable you to record and mix at up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Four monitor outputs with anti-thump technology and speaker switching
- - Ableton Live Lite music-making software
- - 3-month subscription to Pro Tools Artist and the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle
- - 25% off Pro Tools Artist or 33% off Pro Tools Studio annual subscription
- - Fast Balancer
- - A choice of 1 of 4 XLN Audio Addictive Keys virtual instruments
- - Softube Time & Tone Bundle
- The Hitmaker Expansion
- - Antares Auto-Tune Access
- - Relab LX480 Essentials
- - Softube Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555
- - XLN Audio Addictive Keys
- - XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2
- - Focusrite Red Plug-in Suite
- - Brainworx bx_console Focusrite SC
- - 2-month subscription to Landr Studio and five free masters to be used any time
- Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen.
- 1 x USB cable (Type C-A)
- Power Supply
- Connectivity: USB Type-C
- Protocol: USB 2.0
- Form Factor : Rack Mount (1U)
- Simultaneous I/O : 18 x 8
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/192 kHz
- Number of Preamps: 4
- Number of Pads: 4
- Phantom Power : YES
- Instrument Inputs: 2
- Line Inputs: 8
- Analogue Outputs: 4
- Headphone Outputs: 2
- Main/Alt Speaker Switching: YES (via software)
- Digital Inputs: S/PDIF & ADAT input
- Digital Outputs: S/PDIF
- MIDI I/O: YES
- Loopback: YES
- Bus Powered: NO
- Included PSU: YES
Fender Original Instrument Cable, 3m/10ft, Fiesta Red
Stagg SMC3 XLR Microphone Cable 3m/10ft, Black
Shure SM7B Dynamic Vocal & Instrument Microphone
Stagg SAC1PS DL Balanced Stereo Jack Cable, 1m/3ft
Shure SM57 Dynamic Microphone
Tiger MCA34 Microphone Boom Stand with Bag, Black
Kinsman KSS06 Microphone Boom Stand
Tiger KYS21 Adjustable Mixer Keyboard Stand