Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB Audio Interface, 3rd Gen
Overview by GAK
Focusrite’s Scarlett 18i8 USB audio interface features two high headroom instrument inputs, eight balanced line inputs to connect synths or other line-level audio, four balanced outputs for monitoring and effects sends and four monitor outputs, with anti-thump tech and speaker switching. Compared to the 2nd-gen version, the 18i8 has an additional pair of TRS line outs.
At the top of the Scarlett series of USB audio interfaces are the 18i8 and 18i20. They’re by far the most versatile as they give you the greatest selection of inputs and outputs. Just like all the aforementioned Scarletts, the 18i8 and 18i20 have been enhanced as part of the third-generation. As well as the loopback functionality that was added to the 4i4 and 8i6, the 18i8 and 18i20 now have alternate speaker switching which is accessible via the Focusrite Control software.
Its high channel count and compact size give it a stunning balance of portability and flexibility. The 18i8 is a great choice for studio owners who need a variety of inputs and world-class sound and engineers that want to a portable multi-track recording solution.
In the unlikely event your interface lets you down, all brand-new Scarletts come with a three-year warranty from Focusrite and their support team is friendly and knowledgeable.
The Clarett 4Pre USB is the “premium” version of the 18i8 and is worth checking out if you’re looking to upgrade or have some extra cash in your soundcard budget. The 4Pre USB has the same I/O configuration as the 18i8 but boasts a quicker latency performance and superior Clarett preamps, which Focusrite claim to be the finest pre-amp they’ve built into a USB interface.
- Four of the best performing mic preamps the Scarlett range has ever seen, now with switchable Air mode to give your recordings a brighter and more open sound
- Two high-headroom instrument inputs to plug in your guitar or bass
- Eight balanced line inputs for connecting synthesisers, drum machine and other line-level sources
- High-performance converters enable you to record and mix at up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Four monitor outputs with anti-thump technology and speaker switching
- ֠֠Ableton Live Lite music making software
- ֠Pro Tools | First Focusrite Creative Pack
- Free 3-month Splice Sounds subscription with new Splice accounts
- Focusrite Red 2 & Red 3 Plug-In Suite
- A choice of 1 of 4 XLN Audio Addictive Keys virtual instruments
- Softube Time & Tone Bundle
- Access to the Focusrite Plug-in Collective
- Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen.
- 1 x USB cable (Type C-A)
- Power Supply
- Connectivity: USB Type-C
- Protocol: USB 2.0
- Form Factor : Rack Mount (1U)
- Simultaneous I/O : 18 x 8
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/192 kHz
- Number of Preamps: 4
- Number of Pads: 4
- Phantom Power : YES
- Instrument Inputs: 2
- Line Inputs: 8
- Analogue Outputs: 4
- Headphone Outputs: 2
- Main/Alt Speaker Switching: YES (via software)
- Digital Inputs: S/PDIF & ADAT input
- Digital Outputs: S/PDIF
- MIDI I/O: YES
- Loopback: YES
- Bus Powered: NO
- Included PSU: YES
So far excellent
Great future proofed audio interface for my Ableton and ProTools. Worthy replacement for my Mbox Pro (3rd Gen).
Great little interface. Does what I needed it to. No issues so far.
Brilliant piece of equipment, fantastic beginners interface for any home sound recording studio. With up to 8 inputs its support flexible and delivers great quality sound