Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 USB Audio Interface, 3rd Gen
Overview by GAK
Focusrite’s Scarlett 4i4 USB audio interface, previously the 2i4, has been given a boost to its flexibility with a pair of dedicated line inputs. This makes the 4i4 a fantastic choice if you’re looking for a more versatile I/O configuration than the Solo and the 2i2 offer. Thanks to the extra pair of line inputs, you can record more audio sources simultaneously and use stereo rigs and instruments such as synthesisers to their full potential.
In addition, the 4i4 features four balanced outputs (which can be used for playback, monitoring and effect sends) and two inputs on the front panel that can be used for vocals or instruments. These inputs are high headroom, so are perfect for direct recording of guitar and bass, and utilise Focusrite’s innovative Scarlett preamps, which now feature their patented Air mode.
The third-generation 4i4 has also been equipped with a Loopback function, which is perfect for podcasting and streaming applications as it allows you to capture a stereo audio signal from any combination of hardware or software inputs and then route it to your DAW.
It’s surprisingly compact for the sheer amount of capability on offer, which makes the 4i4 a brilliant choice for travelling musicians, synth and keyboard users, and a producer/engineer that wants to record multiple audio sources at once.
In the unlikely event your interface lets you down, all brand-new Scarletts come with a three-year warranty from Focusrite and their support team is friendly and knowledgeable.
- Two of the best performing mic preamps the Scarlett range has ever seen, now with switchable Air mode to give your vocal recordings a brighter and more open sound
- Two high-headroom instrument inputs to plug in your guitar or bass
- Two balanced line inputs for connecting synthesisers, drum machines and other line-level sources
- Four balanced outputs for clean monitoring and sending audio out to effects pedals
- High-performance converters enable you to record and mix at up to 24-bit/192kHz
- ֠֠Ableton Live Lite music making software
- ֠Pro Tools | First Focusrite Creative Pack
- Free 3-month Splice Sounds subscription with new Splice accounts
- Focusrite Red 2 & Red 3 Plug-In Suite
- A choice of 1 of 4 XLN Audio Addictive Keys virtual instruments
- Softube Time & Tone Bundle
- Access to the Focusrite Plug-in Collective
- Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen.
- 1 x USB cable (Type C-A)
- Connectivity: USB Type-C
- Protocol: USB 2.0
- Form Factor: Desktop
- Simultaneous I/O: 4 x 4
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/192 kHz
- Number of Preamps: 2
- Phantom Power: YES
- Number of Pads: 2
- Instrument Inputs: 2
- Line Inputs: 4
- Analogue Outputs: 4
- Headphone Outputs: 1
- Loopback : YES
- MIDI I/O : YES
- Bus Powered: YES
Really good and easy to use but watch out for Pro Tools First as it is not compatible with the latest version of Windows 10. Ableton is ok though
Superb value for money
Installation was very simple. I've not used it as yet.
So far works as intended, and looks cool! Set up and software easy to use
Great gear at a amazing price!