Gibson Custom 50th Anniversary 1968 Les Paul Custom, Ebony
Seen it cheaper or need more info?Call Us Now!
In the summer of 1968, Gibson did something unprecedented. They re-released two guitar models that were discontinued a decade earlier, a Les Paul Custom and a Les Paul Goldtop. Many famous guitarists at the time adopted 1950s Les Paul models because of their heavy tones, vocal qualities and endless sustain, creating a demand for the classic body style that continues through today.
The 1968 Les Paul Custom stood apart from its predecessors in a few signi cant ways. Instead of a solid mahogany body, it now had a solid maple top on a mahogany back — adding the clarity and bite that many rock guitarists sought. It also came standard with two humbuckers as opposed to three, providing additional picking clearance. And lastly it had a 14-degree peghead angle for reduced string tension. This set of features instantly became the new standard for the Les Paul Custom model, which has been produced continuously by Gibson ever since.
This 50th Anniversary 1968 Les Paul Custom was designed to be the final say in historical accuracy, tone and feel. Every detail and spec was meticulously revived by the skilled artisans at Gibson Custom Shop to provide an amazing vintage experience. Each will include an exclusive case, collectible switch plate medallion, throwback hang tags and guitar picks, and a copy of the 1968 Gibson Gazette which announced the new Les Paul models to the world. Limited to only 300 total instruments produced.
- Body: 2-Piece Maple Top, 1-Piece Mahogany Back
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck: Solid Mahogany, Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit, 14 Degree Peghead Angle
- Neck Profile: Medium-Chunky C-Shape, scanned from original.
- Scale Length: 24.75", 62.865cm
- Fingerboard: Solid Ebony, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number of Frets: 22
- Frets: Historic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687", 42.85mm
- End of Board Width: 2.240", 56.89mm
- Inlays: Pearl Block
- Truss Rod: Tubeless
- Hardware Finish: Gold
- Bridge: ABR-1 Tune-o-matic w/ Nylon Saddles
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Waffleback
- Pickguard: Replica Multi-ply Acrylic
- Control Knobs: Black Witch Hats w/ Gold Reflectors
- Switch Tip: Cream
- Switch Washer: Moulded Black
- Jack Plate Cover: Replica Multi-ply Acrylic
- Neck Pickup: 68 Custom Humbucker
- Bridge Pickup: 68 Custom Humbucker
- -2 x 500K CTS Volume Pots
- -2 x 500K CTS Tone Pots
- -Hand-Wired Harness with Black Beauty Capacitors
- -Switchcraft Toggle Switch
- Strings: 10-13-17-26-36-46
- Case: Gibson Custom Black Hardshell Case with Gold Lining
- -50th Anniversary Switch Plate Medallion (w/ Extra Black Plastic Cover in the Case)
- -Replica 1968 Gibson Gazette
- -Exclusive 1968-style Gibson Guitar Picks
- -Gibson Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity