Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1959 ES-355 Stop Bar, Ultra Light Aged, Ebony
The Gibson Murphy Lab is a new division of the Gibson Custom Shop and is dedicated to crafting historically-accurate guitars of Gibson’s most legendary and sought-after instruments. The team of experts is led by Tom Murphy, known for being one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, who for 25 years has been faithfully recreating the sound, feel, and character of vintage guitars. The attention to detail in the Murphy Lab is second to none, from laser-scanning the dimensions to get the exact size and shape of the originals to reverse-engineering the original lacquer to create ultra-realistic ageing, every detail has been thought of. This guitar is the closest you can get to the real thing.
The 1959 ES-355 is top-of-the-line in the ES range, and has a 3-ply Maple/Poplar/Maple body and has a solid maple centre block - this combination was designed to get the best of both, combining the warm tones of a hollow body, and the reduced feedback of a solid body. The neck is made from solid mahogany and has an authentic ‘59 Medium C-shape profile for comfortable playing, topped with an ebony fretboard with 22 authentic medium-jumbo sized frets. The 1959 ES-355 also has an ABR-1 bridge and a lightweight aluminium stop bar for increased tuning stability, which is enhanced by the Kluson Waffleback tuners.
For pickups, the 1959 ES-355 a pair of unpotted Custombuckers with Alnico 3 magnets, delivering a clear, articulate sound without sounding harsh, and smooth, rounded tones - recreating the PAF pickups from the past. There are two volume and 2 tone control knobs and a 3-way Switchcraft pickup selector so you can find the sound you need easily.
To complete the 1959 ES-355 are 1950s mother of pearl inlays, a split diamond headstock inlay, gold Murphy Lab light aged hardware, a classic ebony finish and nitrocellulose lacquer for historical accuracy.
It comes with .010 - .046 strings, a Lifton 5-latch Custom Shop hardshell case, and a certificate of authenticity.
Weight - 8.36 lbs
The King of the ES Models
Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson’s legacy through accuracy, authenticity, and attention to detail.
What could be better than the legendary ES-335? The ES-355! The ES-355 starts with all the features that make the ES-335 iconic - the feedback-resistant semi-hollowbody construction, the two humbucking pickups with individual volume and tone controls, the legendary sonic versatility and exceptional playability - and kicks it into overdrive with an ebony fretboard that’s adorned with 50s pattern mother of pearl block inlays and 22 authentic medium jumbo frets. A split diamond headstock inlay, multi-ply binding, and gold hardware further reinforce the fact that the ES-355 is the top of the line ES™ model. This expertly crafted Custom Shop rendition’s attention to detail makes it an outstanding recreation of the legendary and highly-prized 1959 ES-355. It features Ultra Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of light play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era. A five latch Lifton™ case is also included.
- Body Shape: ES-335
- Body Material: 3-Ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Centerblock: Solid Maple
- Binding: Multi-ply
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer; Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Authentic '59 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Ebony
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: 1950s Pattern Mother of Pearl
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Gold; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Gold
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Saddle Material: Nickel-plated Brass
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stop Bar
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Waffleback with Pearloid Tips
- Pickguard: Multi-Ply Bound Celluloid
- TrussRod: Authentic 1950s No-Tube
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic Stepped 2-Ply
- Control Knobs: Black Butyrate Top Hats with Dial Pointers
- Switch Tip: Amber Catalin
- Strap Buttons: Cream Plastic
- Mounting Rings: Black M69 Medium & Tall
- Pickup Covers: Authentic Profile Gold-plated Nickel Silver
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone; CTS® 500 k Audio Taper Potentiometers, Paper-in-Oil Capacitors
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Lifton™ 5-latch Custom Shop Hardshell
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity
No upgrades available