Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1960 Les Paul Standard, Ultra Light Aged, Wide Tomato Burst
The Les Paul Standards made between 1958 - 1960 are some of the most coveted guitars on the market, also known as ‘Bursts’. They represent the pinnacle of American electric guitars, with only around 1700 in existence today, with the price making them unattainable to most. But now with the launch of the new Gibson Murphy Lab, you can get hold of a replica of these classic guitars, crafted by a team of experts led by one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, Tom Murphy.
The Gibson Murphy Lab is a new division of the Gibson Custom Shop and is dedicated to crafting historically-accurate guitars of Gibson’s most legendary and sought-after instruments. The team of experts is led by Tom Murphy, known for being one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, who for 25 years has been faithfully recreating the sound, feel, and character of vintage guitars. The attention to detail in the Murphy Lab is second to none, from laser-scanning the dimensions to get the exact size and shape of the originals to reverse-engineering the original lacquer to create ultra-realistic ageing, every detail has been thought of. This guitar is the closest you can get to the real thing.
This model has a 1-piece solid lightweight mahogany body and a 2-piece Figured Maple top with a striking Wide Tomato Burst finish. The neck is made from solid mahogany with a 1960 SlimTaper profile for faster playing, and a 24.75” scale length, which is topped with a smooth Indian rosewood fretboard with 22 Historic Medium Jumbo frets and a 12” radius. It also has a No-Wire ABR-1 bridge with a lightweight aluminium stop bar and Kluson single line, double ring tuning machines.
For pickups, it has two unpotted Custombucker Alnico 3 pickups with a 3-way Switchcraft pickup selector. The 2 volume and 2 controls give you even more control over your sound.
To complete the 1960 Les Paul Standard is Aged Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid inlays, amber butyrate top hats with silver inserts, a 1-ply Royalite binding on the body, and nickel Murphy Lab Light Aged hardware.
It comes with .010 - .046 strings, a Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch Case, a Certificate of Authenticity, a Mounted Custom Shop Switch Plate Medallion, and a Reissue Switch Backplate in case.
Weight - 7.96lbs
Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson’s legacy through accuracy, authenticity and attention to detail.
1960 was the last year for the original Les Paul™ Standard, nearly identical to a 1959 model except for a few specs. Most notably, it features a fast-playing slim neck profile, beloved by the many famous musicians who played '60 Bursts including Eric Clapton, Joe Walsh, and Paul McCartney. It also has “reflector” Volume & Tone knobs and wider “double-ring” tuner tips. The Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Standard Reissue is a clone of the originals from the hide-glue construction to the chemically re-engineered plastic parts. Each one is built with extreme care, reverence and attention to detail by expert Custom Shop craftspeople who are committed to providing an authentic vintage ownership experience. It also features Ultra Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of light play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.
- Body Shape: Les Paul
- Top: 2-Piece Figured Maple, Hide Glue Fit
- Back: 1-Piece Solid Lightweight Mahogany
- Binding: 1-Ply Royalite
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer; Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: 1960 SlimTaper
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Historic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Aged Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Nickel; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Bridge: No-Wire ABR-1
- Saddle Material: Nickel-plated Brass
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stop Bar
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Single Line, Double Ring
- Pickguard: Laminated Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- TrussRod: Authentic 1950s No-Tube
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic Stepped 2-Ply
- Control Knobs: Amber Butyrate Top Hats with Silver Inserts
- Switch Tip: Amber Catalin
- Switchwasher: Replica Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Jack Plate Cover: Laminated Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Control Covers: Black Royalite
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Mounting Rings: M69 Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Pickup Covers: Authentic Profile Nickel Silver
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, CTS 500K Audio Taper Potentiometers, Paper-in-Oil Capacitors
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch
- Certificate of Authenticity, Mounted Custom Shop Switch Plate Medallion; Reissue Switch Backplate in Case