Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1963 Firebird V w/ Maestro, Ultra Light Aged, Pelham Blue
Gibson introduced the Firebird in 1963, with 4 different versions available: the Firebird I, II, V and VII, all with the unique offset ‘reversed’ body shape with a large lower horn and each with different pickup and hardware configurations.
The Gibson Murphy Lab is a new division of the Gibson Custom Shop and is dedicated to crafting historically-accurate guitars of Gibson’s most legendary and sought-after instruments. The team of experts is led by Tom Murphy, known for being one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, who for 25 years has been faithfully recreating the sound, feel, and character of vintage guitars. The attention to detail in the Murphy Lab is second to none, from laser-scanning the dimensions to get the exact size and shape of the originals to reverse-engineering the original lacquer to create ultra-realistic ageing, every detail has been thought of. This guitar is the closest you can get to the real thing.
The 1963 Firebird V has a 9-ply mahogany/walnut body with neck-through construction, which makes it extremely resonant and delivers great sustain, and the neck has an authentic ‘63 medium C-shape profile topped with an Indian rosewood fretboard with 22 ‘authentic medium jumbo’ sized frets. It also has an ABR-1 bridge and a Maestro vibrola tailpiece, which adds tremolo capabilities, great for anyone who wants smooth vibrato in their sound.
For pickups, it has a pair of Firebird Alnico 5 humbuckers which provide a dynamic tone with crystal clear note definition, and there are a 3-say Switchcraft pickup selector and 2 volume and 2 tone controls to have full control over your sound.
To complete the 1963 Firebird V is Murphy Lab Light Aged nickel hardware, Deluxe Banjo tuners, a 3-ply white/black/white Firebird hot-stamped pickguard, gold top hat control knobs with silver inserts, and a classic Pelham Blue finish with nitrocellulose lacquer just like the original. This is great for anyone who wants a high-quality authentic vintage guitar without the issues that older guitars can have.
It comes with .010 - .046 strings, a Custom Shop hardshell case and a Certificate of Authenticity.
When Gibson hired famed automotive designer Ray Dietrich to create a radical new solid body guitar, rock 'n roll history ensued. With its offset shape, neck-through construction, and scorching mini-humbuckers™, the '63 Firebird™ V became an instant classic. The Gibson Custom Shop is proud to present this exacting replica of a vintage original, which uses authentic contours, dimensions and construction methods for an incredible ownership and playing experience. It features Ultra Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of light play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.
- Body Shape: Designer
- Body Material: 9-ply Mahogany/Walnut Neck-Through
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer; Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged
- Material: 9-ply Mahogany/Walnut Neck-Through
- Profile: Authentic '63 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Aged Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid
- Joint: Neck-Through Construction
- Finish: Nickel; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Saddle Material: Nickel-plated Brass
- Tailpiece: Maestro Vibrola
- Tuning Machines: Deluxe Banjo Tuners
- Pickguard: 3-Ply White/Black/White Firebird Hot-stamped
- TrussRod: 2-way Adjustable
- Truss Rod Cover: Black 1-Ply Gibson Hot-stamped
- Control Knobs: Gold Top Hats with Silver Inserts
- Switch Tip: Cream
- Control Covers: Black
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Pickup Covers: Nickel
- Neck Pickup: Firebird Alnico 5
- Bridge Pickup: Firebird Alnico 5
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, 500K CTS Potentiometers, Hand-Wired Harness
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Custom Shop Hardshell
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity
No upgrades available