Gibson Custom Murphy Lab 1963 Les Paul SG 3-Pickup w/ Maestro, Ultra Light Aged, Classic White
Gibson introduced the double-cutaway Les Paul in 1961 to replace the original Les Paul, and was renamed SG, but still had Les Paul’s signature on the truss rod covers until the end of ‘63, whereafter the name was dropped to just SG. It was designed in response to Fender’s Stratocaster which had more contours and deeper cutaways, and different versions of the SG have been in production ever since.
The Gibson Murphy Lab is a new division of the Gibson Custom Shop and is dedicated to crafting historically-accurate guitars of Gibson’s most legendary and sought-after instruments. The team of experts is led by Tom Murphy, known for being one of the original pioneers of guitar ageing, who for 25 years has been faithfully recreating the sound, feel, and character of vintage guitars. The attention to detail in the Murphy Lab is second to none, from laser-scanning the dimensions to get the exact size and shape of the originals to reverse-engineering the original lacquer to create ultra-realistic ageing, every detail has been thought of. This guitar is the closest you can get to the real thing.
The 1963 Les Paul SG has a solid mahogany body and neck, giving it great resonance and sustain, and the neck has a 1960 SlimTaper profile making it comfortable to play, topped with a solid ebony fretboard with 22 authentic medium jumbo frets just like the original. It also has a Long Maestro Vibrola and Grover Kidney tuning machines for increased tuning stability.
For pickups, it has 3 unpotted Custombuckers with Alnico 3 magnets which deliver a clear, articulate sound without sounding harsh, and smooth, rounded tones - recreating the PAF pickups from the past. There’s a 3-way Switchcraft pickup selector as well as 2 volume and 2 tone knobs which lets you find your exact sound.
The 1963 Les Paul SG is completed with mother of pearl block inlays, gold Murphy Lab light aged hardware, a white multi-ply pickguard, black top hat control knobs with gold inserts, and a Classic White finish with nitrocellulose lacquer to complete the vintage look.
It comes with .010 - .046 strings, a Custom Shop Hardshell case and a Certificate of Authenticity.
Weight - 8.10lbs
Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson’s legacy through accuracy, authenticity and attention to detail.
The last year of the “Les Paul™” moniker on the SG™ Custom was also the first year of the Maestro™ Vibrola…1963. Gibson Custom Shop has proudly recreated this desirable version of the SG Custom down to the original construction methods and contours. The result is a beautiful, versatile and tremendous-sounding instrument that plays effortlessly. The solid Ebony fingerboard and revamped vintage-style electronics help it attain new sonic heights with clarity and sustain. From the dimensions to the contours to the precise inlay patterns to the sonic experience, it’s the top of the line SG in every respect! It features Ultra Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of light play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.
- Body Shape: SG
- Body Material: 1-Piece Solid Mahogany
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer; Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: 1960 SlimTaper
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Ebony
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Mother of Pearl Block
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Gold; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Gold
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Tailpiece: Long Maestro Vibrola
- Tuning Machines: Grover Kidney
- Pickguard: White Multi-Ply
- TrussRod: Authentic 1950s No-Tube
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic Stepped 2-Ply
- Control Knobs: Black Top Hats with Gold Inserts
- Switch Tip: Cream
- Switchwasher: Silkscreened Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
- Control Covers: White
- Strap Buttons: Brass
- Mounting Rings: Black M69
- Pickup Covers: Authentic Profile Gold-plated Nickel Silver
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Middle Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico 3 (Unpotted)
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, CTS 500K Audio Taper Potentiometers, Black Beauty Capacitors
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Custom Shop Hardshell
- Certificate of Authenticity
No upgrades available