Ibanez AFC125 Contemporary Hollow Body, Black Flat
Ibanez AFC125 Overview by GAK:
Part of the new Contemporary Archtop series, the AFC125 is the epitome of understated elegance. Featuring a Spruce top and Maple back and sides the three-piece Mahogany/Maple neck is topped with a slick bound Ebony fingerboard with Mother-of-Pearl offset inlays and Ibanez's legendary Artstar fret edge treatment where each fret end is beautifully rounded off. The bridge too is Ebony and there's a pair of passive Alnico 'Magic Touch mini humbuckers' which provide a balance of classic tones alongside clear articulation on both the top and bottom of the sound spectrum. There's a clean response on the top end giving clarity without sounding excessively bright. The humbuckers are mounted floating clear of the body so do not dampen the guitars natural body vibration, thus allowing a bigger richer acoustic tone. There's orthodox three-way switching and a volume and tone control for each pickup.
- Neck: AFC 3-piece Mahogany/Maple set-in neck
- Body: Spruce top/Maple back & sides
- Fretboard: Bound Ebony with Mother of Pearl off-set block inlay
- Frets: 20 medium frets with Artstar fret edge treatment
- Bridge: Ebony
- Tailpiece: VT14 tailpiece with AFC wood cover
- Neck pickup: Floating Magic Touch-Mini Humbucker (Passive/Alnico)
- Bridge pickup: Floating Magic Touch-Mini Humbucker (Passive/Alnico)
- Factory tuning: 1E,2B,3G,4D,5A,6E
- Strings: Flatwound .011/.015/.022w/.030/.040/.050 gauge
- Hardware: Gold
Superb instrument. In tune out of the box. Low action. FANTASTIC acoustic tone even before plugged into an amp (better acoustic tone than many much more expensive full-blown semi-acoustics and also many full sized acoustics and archtops. Two 'floating' Mini humbuckers provide three distinct and distinctive voices. Black finish looks amazing with just a hint of lift from maple binding. D'Adarrio flatwound strings provide an unbelievably silky, smooth and noise-free playing experience with a lovely warm tone. To summarise … for the money you'll be hard-pressed to find an equal or better buy for this type of guitar. 10/10.