Ibanez SRAS7 Ashula Hybrid Bass, 7 String, Dragon Eye Burst
Ibanez SRAS7-DEB Ashula Overview by GAK:
Well, Ibanez went all out for this one! Their bass R&D department may have had something in their water supply- or they could simply be gifted visionaries able to think outside of the box of regular bass playing mortals! It is fair to say this remarkable instrument has a creative potential quite unlike any other and that, allied to Ibanez's fantastic quality of construction and extremely attractive price, makes it a compelling bass guitar.
So perhaps the best way to think of this is as a regular four string fretted bass (tuned E, A, D and G with .045 to .105 strings) but with the addition of three extra fretless strings on the bass side (tuned A, D and G and strung with flatwound .045 to 0.80 strings). So the fretless strings mirror the three higher regular fretted ones giving you the choice of playing pretty much whatever you like on either platform. Or indeed simultaneously!
As mentioned the build quality is excellent as is the hardware- anybody who has had experience of Ibanez's higher-end basses will be familiar with this. And the designers have put a lot of thought into the finer details- the fingerboard is basically split into two. The fretless part is made of the very dense hardwood Purpleheart and is completely flat. The fretted part is Rosewood with medium frets and a 37" radius. The hefty neck is secured with 5 bolts but allows easy access to the top end. The two mono-rail bridges offer great string separation- the fretless bridge has AeroSilk piezo pickups installed and the fretted part utilises two Super-J magnetic pickups. Both fretless and fretted have their own active EQ and can be switched to use independently or together.
As Ibanez themselves say: "The 'Ashula' expands the possibilities of bass guitar in ways you have never experienced."
- Neck type: 7pc Maple/Purpleheart/Rosewood neck
- Body: Poplar Burl/Ash/Walnut top/Rosewood/Mahogany back
- -Rosewood(Fretted part)
- -Purpleheart(Fretless part) w/Ashula special inlay
- Frets: Fretless for 7th to 5th strings/Medium frets for 4th to 1st strings
- -Mono-rail V Bridge (fretted)
- -Custom Mono-rail V Bridge for AeroSilk Piezo System(Fretless) with 16㎜ String Spacing /17mm Spacing between 4th and 5th strings
- Neck pickup: SRAS Super J neck pickup(Fretted)
- Bridge pickup: SRAS Super J bridge pickup(Fretted)
- -Ibanez 2-band eq(fretted)
- -Active Tone control(fretless)
- -Piezo/Mix/Magnetic 3-way pickup selector
- Hardware colour: Black matte
- String gauge: .045,.065,.085,.105 (+ .045,.065,.080 Flat wound)
- Factory tuning: 1G, 2D, 3A, 4E (+ 5G, 6D, 7A)
- Case: Special hardshell case for SRAS7 included