Korg Volca Nubass Vacuum Tube Synthesizer
Korg Volca Nubass Vacuum Tube Synthesizer
A powerful bass synth with a sound source based around a vacuum tube oscillator. The acid bass machine with the pinnacle of modulation and distortion.
Even today, when digital technology allows electronic musical instruments to simulate any sound imaginable, people seek the warm harmonics and distortion produced by analog vacuum tubes. This distinctive sound has a quality beyond words that sets it apart, and cannot be captured by a response curve; it's the unmistakable sound of tubes.
The volca nubass is the first analog synth to be equipped with a Nutube new-generation vacuum tube in its oscillator. Vacuum tube plus analog means that the sound is warm, thick, and rich. The familiar transistor ladder filter gives it the character of a classic bass machine, along with overdrive, and huge-sounding distortion.
An acid bass machine for a new generation combines classic sound with the power of modern synthesizer design. It's the volca nubass.
The Nutube is equipped with two vacuum tubes; one is used in the oscillator to generate a sawtooth wave or square wave. The other vacuum tube is used in the drive circuit of the sub oscillator, adding depth and warmth one octave below the oscillator. This oscillator and sub oscillator provide a circuit structure that brings out the harmonic character that only a real vacuum tube could provide.
A transistor ladder low-pass filter that produces a distinctive sound The low-pass filter defines the sound of this bass machine; it uses a transistor ladder design found on classic analog bass synths. This filter is uniquely dynamic in the way it affects a sound more than just ranging from bright-to-dark. Its wide range of timbral possibilities makes it ideal for a broad variety of dance music; you can use it to create the distinctive modulation that can be heard in acid house, or increase the resonance to bring out a sharp character that's appropriate for techno.
Analog driver circuit nubass is equipped with overdrive that uses an analog circuit reminiscent of a classic stompbox. Turning the knob toward the right compresses the volume while causing mild distortion, adding thickness to your bass sounds. The tone knob also lets you adjust the crispness of the high-frequency range.
Connectors that allow synchronized performance and external control Since this unit provides a sync jack for easy connection to Korg groove machines, you can connect it to another volca series unit or to equipment such as an electribe or the SQ-1, and enjoy synchronized playback with the sequencer. There's also a standard MIDI IN connector, so you can use the volca drum as a sound module for your DAW.
- The volca nubass is equipped with a full-fledged 16-step sequencer with a variety of functionality; by using it in conjunction with a rhythm machine, you can construct rhythm tracks or loop music.
- You can use the 16 buttons for step input just like the rest of the volca series, or play the buttons as a keyboard for realtime recording. The chain function lets you play back multiple sequence patterns in succession, allowing you to loop up to 16 sequences.
- The motion sequence function can record knob movements, applying parameter changes over time to the sound. This can be used when creating loops, or for live performances that are dynamic and original. Up to 16 sequence patterns together with motion sequences can be saved in internal memory.
- There's also an active step function that lets you skip steps that you specify during playback; sequence patterns become more dynamic and exciting when they can be edited in real time during performances.
- The sequencer of the volca nubass provides three functions that add the slap and slide performance techniques that are distinctive of acid bass: these transpose, accent, and slide functions are accessible and controllable through the step sequencer.
- Transpose is a function that plays a note one or two octaves higher; it adds movement to the bass line while staying within the original scale. Accent emphasizes a note, creating dynamics that make the rhythm expressive. And the slide function that's indispensable to acid sound creates a smooth transition to the next note. Use these functions to add a sense of groove, and volca nubass will come alive in your performances and compositions.
- Randomize settings can be applied to each of these three functions. In addition to generating unpredictable patterns, you can update the randomize settings to keep varying the patterns, bringing out more unexpected and exciting ideas from the sequencer.
- The volca nubass comes with a diverse variety of music software from Izotope including “Ozone Elements” which lets you not only create songs but also master them using AI, “Skoove” which will help you improve your keyboard playing skills, “Reason Lite” DAW software, as well as software synths from KORG and other brands.
To me this sounds beefier than the first Volca bass!