Martin D-35 David Gilmour Custom Signature Edition
Overview by GAK
Legendary musician David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd and solo fame) has collaborated with esteemed guitar manufacturer Martin to produce a limited-run of D-35s - all constructed to DG’s exacting specifications. This model also has a twelve-string variant. Martin are only producing 250 of these guitars so pick one up before they disappear!
The D-35 David Gilmour Custom Signature Edition is a beautiful 6-string acoustic guitar from the superb Martin Guitars, made in collaboration with the guitar legend himself. David’s original D-35 was widely known as his favourite guitar for more than forty years, having been used to compose virtually all of his classic recordings - including Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. With this limited-edition model, Martin have provided David with a new companion that has been designed to his exact specs and features its own unique sound.
Put simply, these guitars are masterpieces.
This guitar looks and sounds like a Golden Age Martin, thanks to its choice materials and vintage aesthetics. David himself selected sinker mahogany as the tonewood for his signature model, due to its strong harmonic balance, rich sustain and gorgeous grain. The DG D-35’s Adirondack spruce “Vintage Tone System” top rounds off its classic sound and combined with the vintage gloss finish, antique white binding and Waverly Relic Nickel tuners - looks the part too.
What makes sinker mahogany superior?
Unlike modern timber, which is comparatively immature when logged and is imbued with far less natural minerals, sinker mahogany is akin to the wood found in Pre-War Martin instruments. It’s had plenty of time to season, resulting in a magical tone that needs to be experienced to be believed.
Ecologically recovered from the bottom of a river in Belize, this mahogany is the same species that was used by Martin in their 1930s models and is hundreds of years old. Martin have foregone artificial treatment of this wood and, due to its highly limited quantities, all sinker mahogany guitars are hand-built by their master craftsman.
These D-35 models are unlike any other, as they boast a custom neck shape and fingerboard pattern that was specified by David Gilmour.
As well as the mark of quality that comes with owning a high-end Martin, each of these models feature a special handstamp on the rear of the headstock and come with a label that has been handsigned by David Gilmour. Not only are these David Gilmour D-35s guaranteed to be prized collector’s instruments, they’re also an excellent choice if you’re looking for a premium acoustic guitar that will provide you with a lifetime of inspiration.
Take a look at the 12-string version of the David Gilmour D-35 Custom Signature Edition if you’re after that lush “WYWH” tone.
Overview by Martin
Martin is proud to offer the D-35 David Gilmour Custom Signature Edition. This guitar is a nod to David’s treasured D-35, his main recording & writing companion for over four decades, but is an instrument for him today, with a style and sound all its own. These signature models are the first D-35s ever made with neck, back and sides of sinker mahogany, chosen by David for its warm, rich tones and exquisitely beautiful grain. We added an Adirondack spruce Vintage Tone System top for an old-world sound and matched that with vintage gloss finish, Waverly Relic Nickel tuners and antique white binding. A unique neck shape & fingerboard pattern were crafted to David’s specification for this guitar, while a special headstamp features on the reverse of the headstock. The signature models are limited to 250 pieces and every label is hand-signed by David himself, ensuring this guitar’s place on every collector’s wish list. Through this partnership, Martin Guitar is proud to support the David Gilmour Charitable Foundation.
- Edition Size: 200
- Construction: Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top Material: Adirondack Spruce with VTS
- Rosette: Style 28 Multi-Stripe
- Bracing Pattern: Forward Shifted X Brace
- Brace Shape: Scalloped
- Brace Material: Adirondack Spruce
- Brace Size: 1/4"
- Back Material: Sinker Mahogany
- Back Detail: 3 Piece
- Back Purfling/Strip: Zig-Zag
- Side Material: Sinker Mahogany
- Endpiece: Antique White
- Binding: Antique White
- Top Inlay Material: Bold Herringbone
- Neck Material: Sinker Mahogany
- Neck Shape: David Gilmour Shape
- Neck Taper: Standard Taper
- Plek: Yes
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock Shape: Solid with Square Taper and Diamond
- Headplate Material: Madagascar Rosewood
- Headplate Logo: Style Script Old Style Overlay
- Heelcap: Antique White
- Fingerboard Material: Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Neck Joins Body At: 14th Fret
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 11/16"
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8"
- Fingerboard Inlay Material: Abalone
- Fingerboard Inlay Style: David Gilmour Dot Pattern
- Side Dots: Yellow
- Back and Side Finish: Vintage Gloss
- Back and Sides Color: Dark Mahogany
- Finish Top: Vintage Gloss
- Top Color: Antique Toner
- Finish Neck: Vintage Gloss
- Neck Color: Dark Mahogany
- Bridge Material: Ebony
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly - Drop in Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2 1/8"
- Saddle: Compensated Bone
- Saddle Radius: 16"
- Tuning Machines: Aged Waverly Nickel Open Back Butter Bean
- Recommended Strings: Authentic Acoustic Light (SMA540T)
- Bridge Pin Material: Black Plastic
- Pickguard: Tortoise Pattern
- Case: Moulded Hardshell
- Label: Paper Label signed by David Gilmour
- Electronics: None
- Left Handed Availability: Yes
No upgrades available