Modal Electronics Craft Synth 2.0
Modal Electronics CRAFT SYNTH 2.0 overview by GAK.
Modal Electronics have traditionally been associated with high-end halo synthesiser products, but with the diminutive MODAL CRAFT SYNTH 2.0, they have brought their sound and philosophy
So what exactly do we have here? Well, the CRAFT SYNTH 2.0 is an 8 oscillator monophonic wavetable synthesiser in a box with a footprint about the size of a CD case. Featuring 40 waveforms ranging from virtual analogue through digital and generative waves some of which originate from the truly mighty Modal 002. A full set of features and specifications can be found in the features tab. For now, if you are not familiar with CRAFT SYNTH 2.0 check out the video below to hear and see it for yourself.
- Monophonic wavetable synthesiser
- 8 oscillators in total with 2 selectable waveforms and mixer stage
- 40 unique waveforms available split into 8 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets
- VA, digital and generative waves are available along with selections from the Modal 002
- Process and cross modulate waveforms with 1 of 16 oscillator modifiers including Frequency / Phase Modulation, Hard / Window Sync, Ring / Amp Modulation, Derez / Bitcrush, Wavefolders and Waveshapers
- Multi option Unison / spread to detune the 8 oscillators for a huge sound
- 3 x envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude and Modulation
- 2 x audio rate LFOs
- 8 slot modulation matrix with 8 sources, each source can have 1 destination. (LFO1, LFO2 and MOD-EG assignable from CRAFTsynth, Velo, Note, ModW, AftT and Expression assignable from MODALapp)
- Program and transpose patterns with the built in sequenced arpeggiator
- 2-pole resonant filter that can be morphed from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
- Delay and distortion (waveshaping overdrive, not bitcrushing) effects
- Optional MIDI clock sync for LFOs and Delay
- 64 preset storage locations
- 8 key touch MIDI keyboard with 8 custom scales and root note selection
- MIDI DIN in and out
- Analogue clock sync in and out (configured to the KORG / Teenage Engineering specification)
- Class compliant MIDI provided over USB connection to host computer or tablet
- Headphone and line output
- Powered by USB or 3 x AA batteries
- Optional software editor available for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- Portable and compact design
- Dimensions: 150mm x 135mm x 68mm (6”x5 1/2”x 3”)
No upgrades available
This is an amazing little piece of machinery. I don't pretend to understand everything about it yet - it repays deeper study. An unusual design, and an odd, but perfectly usable interface. Needs a computer connection to get the best out of it, but the integration is excellent. Tempted to buy another and chain them together.
Amazing for the price
Oh this is good. Expensive sounding, cheap as chips (relatively) and intuitive in use.
The Craft 2.0 may be missing a few little features here and there, but its rugged design, portability, depth of sound design capabilities and ease of use, for £129 its a steal!
Affordable synth with a huge amount of power for its size, very portable.