Moog Subharmonicon Semi-Modular Polyrhythmic Analog Synthesizer
Semi-Modular Polyrhythmic Analog Synthesizer
Subharmonicon is a completely unique, one of a kind synthesizer unlike anything else on the market. Originally produced as a limited run of 120 units for their Moogfest engineering workshop event, it’s gone on to become one of their most requested product releases. Like the Mother-32 and DFAM, it’s designed to fit into the Mother ecosystem, can act as a Eurorack module or be paired with those units to form a complete performance instrument using their case bracket system. In use Subharmonicon feels like the ‘missing piece’, creating kaleidoscopic harmonic pads and beds, a perfect complement for huge basslines from Mother-32 and rhythms from DFAM. Subharmonicon’s design has evolved since the Moogfest launch, and is fully refined and ready for primetime.
The Moog Subharmonicon is a versatile analog labyrinth of subharmonically derived synthesis and polyrhythmic patterns, equally suited for losing oneself and simultaneously finding oneself through sound. This new semi-modular analog synthesizer is designed for the exploration of sequences that unfold and evolve over time, spiralling through six-tone subharmonic chords and organic polyrhythms.
- SOURCES: VCO 1, SUB 1, SUB 2 / VCO 2, SUB 1, SUB 2
- FILTER: Self-Oscillating Ladder Filter, Low-Pass, 4-Pole (-24 dB/Octave)
- ENVELOPES: VCA EG (Attack, Decay); VCF EG (Attack, Decay)
- STEPS: 4 Steps per Sequencer, selectable Quantization
- CLOCK: Driven by any and all of the Rhythm Generators
- RHYTHM: Derived by dividing the Tempo by an integer value (1-16)
- CLOCK: 20 BPM to 3,000 BPM (Beats Per Minute; 1 Pulse Per Quarter-note), MIDI Clock, EXT CLOCK
- JACKS: 32 x 3.5mm
- INPUTS: 17 Input Jacks
- OUTPUTS: 15 Output Jacks
- AUDIO: 1⁄4” TRS Headphone or 1⁄4” TS Instrument
- POWER: Power Supply connection
- SECURITY: Kensington Lock slot
- Imperial (in.): 4.2h x 12.57w x 5.24d
- Metric (cm): 10.67h x 31.93w x 13.31d
- Weight: 3.5 lbs.
- STYLE: Wall adapter; barrel connection; center-pin positive
- INPUT: 100 – 240VAC; 50 Hz – 60 Hz
- OUTPUT: +12VDC; 1200mA
- TYPICAL: 4.8 Watts
- CURRENT DRAW: 360mA (maximum) from +12VDC (10-pin header)
- MOUNTING DIMS: 60HP (1” / 26mm Module Depth)
- Imperial (in.): 8h x 15w x 9d
- Metric (cm): 20.32h x 38.1w x 22.86d
- Weight: 6 lbs.
- 2-TIER VERTICAL RACK KIT: RM-KIT-0221
- 3-TIER VERTICAL RACK KIT: RM-KIT-0331
- GIG BAG: RES-GB-010
- 6” 3.5 mm CABLE PACK (QTY 5): RES-CABLE-SET-2
- 12” 3.5 mm CABLE PACK (QTY 5): RES-CABLE-SET-3
- EMPTY 60HP CASE: RM-KIT-0401
- EMPTY 104HP CASE: RM-KIT-0501
- BACKUP POWER SUPPLY: TRN-01-000-0023
It’s not for everyone and requires a very specific approach/mindset, but once you get the hang of it you do get really interesting results out of it!
A foray on the West Coast from the Grandfather (Mother?) of East Coast synthesis. The usual high quality hand made build, the 24dB ladder filter coupled with a very nifty 2x4 steps sequencer and 2 vcos with 2 subs each, allowing a wide array of deep and wide evolving organic sounds. The usual mother32/dfam patch bay and the firm factor will help integrate the beast in any eurorack set.