Novation AFX Station Aphex Twin Limited Edition Bass Station II + Bag Bundle
Overview by GAK
- Novation AFX Station Limited Edition Aphex Twin Bass Station II
- Novation Bass Station II Gig Bag
The AFX Station is an evolution of Novation’s original Bass Station II and the culmination of their collaboration with the legendary Aphex Twin, which began with the powerful AFX Mode that was introduced in v4.14 ( a not-so-subtle reference to Aphex Twin’s landmark song “Avril 14”). Featuring striking new purple highlights and Aphex Twin’s trademark insignia on the panel, the AFX Station offers more than just a collector’s item with a new aesthetic.
Novation were already on to a winner with the first version of the Bass Station II, packing a fully-featured analogue mono synth into a compact package (that can run from a USB power bank!). You couldn’t really ask for more features from a synth in this price range yet Novation have gone above and beyond by adding new and exciting features to it since its release, including a paraphonic mode which allows you to play the two oscillators independently (allowing you to play two-note chords, for example).
The latest update introduced AFX Mode, a new feature conceived by Aphex Twin that sky-rockets the Bass Station II’s capabilities into the stratosphere. With AFX Mode, you create what’s called an “overlay” which enables you to have a completely different sound on every key. The possibilities created by this mode are vast, especially when combined with the AFX Station’s powerful arpeggiator and sequencer. From analogue drum machines to glitchy sound effects, the AFX Station can do it.
The AFX Station comes with v4.14 (and AFX Mode) pre-installed, as well as an updated front panel which makes the new features less hidden and a lot easier to access.
What truly makes the AFX Station stand out is the exclusive Aphex Twin-inspired patches, designed by leading sound designers such as Noyze Lab, Perplex On, Richard Devine, r beny and Lightbath. These new sounds allow you to dive right into the AFX Station without having to worry about getting your head around the multitude of new features straight away, so you can start injecting your music with sonic weirdness as soon as you plug it in!
If all of this seems a bit overwhelming, Novation have got you covered with the new Overlay Editor in their Components software, which gives you full control and manageability over the AFX Station in AFX Mode.
To top it all off, the AFX Station cements its collectability with a bespoke “giftbox”, designed by Aphex Twin’s longtime visual collaborator Weirdcore. The box boasts custom artwork on the inside and the outside, with a sleek matte finish and high-quality gloss highlights.
Novation AFX Station
Limited Edition Aphex Twin Bass Station II
In collaboration with Richard D. James (aka Aphex Twin), Novation is excited to announce AFX Station, a limited edition of the modern classic Bass Station II monosynth designed in close partnership with the British electronic music pioneer. It features the same powerful feature set as the original Bass Station II, with a stunning new look, a new sound pack, and silk screening to reflect the features of AFX mode, conceptualised by Richard D. James himself. Dressed in all-black with a striking purple underside and purple pitch and mod wheel LEDs, plus stealthy Novation branding and Aphex Twin’s instantly recognisable ‘A’ logo, AFX Station is a visually breathtaking powerhouse of a monosynth: certain to become a collector’s item.
About Richard D. James (aka Aphex Twin)
Described as “the most inventive and influential figure in contemporary electronic music” by The Guardian, Aphex Twin has been at the forefront of the electronic music scene for decades. Credited by many producers as one of their inspirations for making music, James seldom appears publicly and rarely does brand partnerships, although he is well known for sharing information about the equipment he uses in his creative process. The collaboration with Novation is a landmark moment: an interpretation of the classic modern monosynth by a true pioneer, which flips convention on its head and brings the immense creative potential to today’s electronic musician.
AFX Rerub Of A Modern Classic
Novation AFX Station is the perfect marriage of digital control with incredible analogue synthesis inside an already phenomenal, classic modern monosynth. The new limited edition comes pre-installed with all the features of firmware v4.14, including fixed-duration envelopes, extended sub-oscillator controls, oscillator glide diverge and the much-acclaimed AFX Mode, which has been available to existing Bass Station II customers as a special firmware update. Custom silk screening on the product indicates the functions unique to AFX Mode.
AFX Mode was conceived by Aphex Twin himself, to turn Bass Station II into a sound designer’s dream. When in AFX Mode, every key on the instrument becomes a new patch, revolutionising the way Bass Station II can be played. With a completely different sound on every key, the instrument transforms into a hugely powerful analogue drum module, a sound design beast, or a killer bass or lead machine. Whether playing, sequencing or using the arpeggiator, AFX Mode brings a huge sense of creative character to users’ musical creations. Labels for AFX Mode functions indicate how to unleash the potential of the new features.
Updated Visual ID
AFX Station’s blacked-out top panel and the purple underside are aesthetically striking and perfectly functional: the white silkscreening and red LEDs lead the user around the synth as usual, and the famous ‘A’ insignia reminds users of the genius under the hood. Purple LEDs illuminate the underside of the pitch and modulation wheels, and dedicated labels indicate how to activate the unique features of AFX Station using function modifier keys.
Special Edition Packaging Acknowledging that some will purchase the AFX Station as a collector’s item, Novation have gone the extra mile and new, limited edition gift box artwork has been commissioned from long-time Aphex Twin collaborator, Weirdcore, with a protective outer carton to keep the internal packaging fresh.
Please note: Image for illustrative purposes only. Accessories subject to change without notice.
- Analogue synth: brand new version of the classic Bass Station
- Bass Station II has a pure analogue audio signal path, reviving the spirit of the original Bass Station with an all-new design optimised for bass.
- Two distinct analogue filtersTwo distinct analogue filters
- A brand new "Acid" filter joins the "Classic" original Bass Station filter -("Classic" switches between low, hi and band pass with 12 and 24dB slopes).
- Load and save patches
- Bass Station II ships with 64 factory patches and a further 64 user slots. Patch dump enables you to archive and swap sounds.
- Pattern-based Step Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Bass Station II has an arpeggiator with a programmable step sequencer that enables you to store and call up patterns and quickly sketch-out ideas.
- Dedicated Tweakable Controls
- Analogue synth layout includes dedicated controls for all major parameters enabling instant hands-on control of the sound engine.
- Sub Oscillator
- Two Oscillators plus an additional Sub Oscillator
- Bass Station II has two sync-able, tune-able oscillators with four selectable waveforms, plus a third sub-oscillator for generating enormous bass sounds.
- Analogue effects section
- Bass Station II includes fully analogue distortion and filter-modulation effects and a separate filter overdrive to add an aggressive, crunchy sound-quality.
- Flexible modulation featuring 2 Envelopes and 2 LFOs
- LFO waveforms include triangle, sawtooth, square and sample & hold. Two ADSR envelopes are available for filter, pitch and pulse width modulation.
- MIDI I/O and USB connectivity
- Bass Station II can be connected to your music software as well as your MIDI compatible hardware.
- keyboard with aftertouch
- Players 'synth-action' keyboard with aftertouch
- The keyboard mechanism is a two-octave (25 note) velocity sensitive synth-action keyboard with full-size keys and assignable aftertouch
- Access to the Sound Collective
- Ableton Live Lite
- 4BG Loopmasters
- Free Melodics lessons
- Hardware & controller assignment:
- 25 note synth-action keyboard
- Aftertouch can be assigned to modulate:
- Filter frequency
- LFO 1to Osc pitch
- Osc 2 speed
- Pitch wheel
- Modulation wheel can be assigned to:
- LFO 2 to filter frequency
- LFO 1 to Osc pitch
- Osc 2 pitch
- Octave up/ down buttons
- 64 factory presets
- 64 slots for user patches (and patch dump facility for storing more)
- Master volume dial
- Inputs and outputs:
- USB MIDI (for connecting & powering AFX Station via host computer)
- Mono output on 1/4" TRS jack
- Headphone output on 1/4" TRS jack
- External input on 1/4" TRS jack
- Sustain pedal input on 1/4" TS jack
- MIDI IN / MIDI OUT ports on 5 pin din
- DC power input
- Switch between power off / DC powered / bus powered
- Osc 1
- Osc 2
- Sub Osc (3)
- Noise generator
- Osc 1 & 2:
- Select between waveforms:
- square/variable pulse width
- Sync 1 & 2
- Octave range
- Pitch bend
- Pitch modulation from Mod Envelope and/or LFO 1
- Pulse width modulation from Mod Envelope and/or LFO 2
- Sub Osc (3) which is tracked to Osc 1
- Select independently between waveforms:
- Narrow pulse
- All modulation and tuning tracked to Osc 1
- Independent octave select
- Mixer: ♣ Osc 1 level ♣ Osc 2 level ♣ Sub Osc level ♣ Noise generator level ♣ Ring modulation depth ♣ External signal level
- Filter: Two filter types ♣ Acid type (diode ladder filter design) ♣ Classic type (derived from original Bass Station)
- Features : Cutoff ♣ Resonance ♣ Overdrive ♣ Filter frequency to Mod Envelope depth ♣ Filter frequency to LFO 2 depth
- Select 'Classic' filter between: ♣ Low pass ♣ Band pass ♣ High pass ♣ 12dB slope ♣ 24dB slope
- Envelopes: Two ADSR Envelopes (Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release) ♣ Amp Envelope ♣ Mod Envelope ♣ Combined control of both Envelopes
- Select triggering mode between: ♣ Single trigger (holds envelope state when new note is played) ♣ Multi trigger (re-triggers with every new note played) ♣ Autoglide (engages portamento) There is also a VCA limiter
- LFO: Two LFOs each selectable between: ♣ Triangle ♣ Sawtooth ♣ Square ♣ Sample and hold ♣ Both LFOs independently adjustable between rate and delay time ♣ Key sync LFO 1 & 2 ♣ LFO slew on LFO 1& 2 (low pass filter on the LFO waveform
No upgrades available