Novation Bass Station II Analog Synth
Novation Bass Station II Analog Synth
Novation update, improve, and re-energise their classic Bass Station recipe with the rather aptly named Novation Bass Station 2. The Bass Station 2 is a compact, stylish analogue synth that has been designed to produce powerful energetic bass sounds, but that is just the tip of this analogue iceberg. The Novation Bass Station 2 features two filters, three powerful oscillators, and extensive patch memories and an effects section. As well as all of these great features, the Novation Bass Station 2 also has a step sequencer, arpeggiator, a two octave (25-note) velocity-sensitive keyboard with full-sized keys and a powerful modulation section with both MIDI and USB connectivity. Weather you are looking for thunderous basses, searing leads, or psychedelic melodic arpeggios the Novation Bass Statin 2 will find its place in at the heart of your studio.
New v4.14 Firmware Update:
Having worked with the legendary Richard James, AKA Aphex Twin, on Bass Station II's latest update, we paid homage to the Aphex Twin track 'Avril 14th' with the version number and release date of the update. On April 14th, we unveiled the following features, with the aptly named AFX Mode being the realisation of Richard's out-there concept:
- AFX Mode
- Fixed duration envelopes
- Extended sub-oscillator control
- Oscillator glide diverge
- Envelope re-trigger count
Twenty years ago, Novation released the groundbreaking BassStation: a compact, analogue synth designed for fat bass sounds and bubbly leads. The original BassStation became a classic; now we present the new Bass Station II: an analogue monophonic synth but with a total re-design that brings it firmly into the 21st century, bigger and bolder than ever. It's more than a bass synth; it's versatile enough to kick out sharp leads and crisp arpeggios. Bass Station II's signal path is all analogue, including the effects section. It is based on three analogue oscillators (two independent oscillators plus a sub for rich bass sounds) and a noise generator; two discrete filters, Classic and Acid, with built-in overdrive; Distortion and Osc Filter Mod effects; two ADSR envelopes, two LFOs, and an Arpeggiator and programmable Step Sequencer. And that's just scratching the surface of the synth engine. Bass Station II's traditional control layout breaks everything into modules with dedicated pots, switches and sliders. Unlike a traditional analogue synth, there's plenty of storage for your own sounds - there are 64 factory presets plus 64 more slots for your own sounds in the hardware - and you can store more on your computer. About Bass Station II's Design - The original BassStation was released in 1993, but its heritage goes back a lot further: to the 1970s, thought of by many as the golden era of synthesis. Synth designer Chris Huggett has remained a constant design force for Novation over the years. Huggett has decades of experience in hardware synth design, having pioneered the development of digitally controlled analogue synths including the OSCar. He also designed such classics as the Wasp, released by Electronic Dream Plant in 1978 - and there is a direct line of descent from the Wasp filter to the awesome 'Classic' filter in Bass Station II. Two Oscillators plus an additional Sub Oscillator: Bass Station II has two sync-able, tune-able oscillators with four selectable waveforms, plus a third sub-oscillator for generating enormous bass sounds Analogue effects sAnalogue synth: brand new version of the classic BassStation. Bass Station II has a pure analogue audio signal path, reviving the spirit of the original BassStation with an all-new design optimised for bass Two distinct analogue filters: In addition to the original 'Classic' BassStation filter, there's a brand new 'Acid' diode ladder filter for squelchy 303-esque bass sounds Load and save patches: 64 factory patches on-board with room for 64 more of your own. Save more to your computer via USB.
- Analogue synth: brand new version of the classic Bass Station
- Bass Station II has a pure analogue audio signal path, reviving the spirit of the original Bass Station with an all-new design optimised for bass.
- Two distinct analogue filtersTwo distinct analogue filters
- A brand new "Acid" filter joins the "Classic" original Bass Station filter -("Classic" switches between low, hi and band pass with 12 and 24dB slopes).
- Load and save patches
- Bass Station II ships with 64 factory patches and a further 64 user slots. Patch dump enables you to archive and swap sounds.
- Pattern-based Step Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Bass Station II has an arpeggiator with a programmable step sequencer that enables you to store and call up patterns and quickly sketch-out ideas.
- Dedicated Tweakable Controls
- Analogue synth layout includes dedicated controls for all major parameters enabling instant hands-on control of the sound engine.
- Sub Oscillator
- Two Oscillators plus an additional Sub Oscillator
- Bass Station II has two sync-able, tune-able oscillators with four selectable waveforms, plus a third sub-oscillator for generating enormous bass sounds.
- Analogue effects section
- Bass Station II includes fully analogue distortion and filter-modulation effects and a separate filter overdrive to add an aggressive, crunchy sound-quality.
- Flexible modulation featuring 2 Envelopes and 2 LFOs
- LFO waveforms include triangle, sawtooth, square and sample & hold. Two ADSR envelopes are available for filter, pitch and pulse width modulation.
- MIDI I/O and USB connectivity
- Bass Station II can be connected to your music software as well as your MIDI compatible hardware.
- keyboard with aftertouch
- Players 'synth-action' keyboard with aftertouch
- The keyboard mechanism is a two-octave (25 note) velocity sensitive synth-action keyboard with full-size keys and assignable aftertouch
- Access to the Sound Collective
- Ableton Live Lite
- 4BG Loopmasters
- Free Melodics lessons
- Hardware & controller assignment:
- 25 note synth-action keyboard
- Aftertouch can be assigned to modulate:
- Filter frequency
- LFO 1to Osc pitch
- Osc 2 speed
- Pitch wheel
- Modulation wheel can be assigned to:
- LFO 2 to filter frequency
- LFO 1 to Osc pitch
- Osc 2 pitch
- Octave up/ down buttons
- 64 factory presets
- 64 slots for user patches (and patch dump facility for storing more)
- Master volume dial
- Inputs and outputs:
- USB MIDI (for connecting & powering Bass Station II via host computer)
- Mono output on 1/4" TRS jack
- Headphone output on 1/4" TRS jack
- External input on 1/4" TRS jack
- Sustain pedal input on 1/4" TS jack
- MIDI IN / MIDI OUT ports on 5 pin din
- DC power input
- Switch between power off / DC powered / bus powered
- Osc 1
- Osc 2
- Sub Osc (3)
- Noise generator
- Osc 1 & 2:
- Select between waveforms:
- square/variable pulse width
- Sync 1 & 2
- Octave range
- Pitch bend
- Pitch modulation from Mod Envelope and/or LFO 1
- Pulse width modulation from Mod Envelope and/or LFO 2
- Sub Osc (3) which is tracked to Osc 1
- Select independently between waveforms:
- Narrow pulse
- All modulation and tuning tracked to Osc 1
- Independent octave select
- Mixer: ♣ Osc 1 level ♣ Osc 2 level ♣ Sub Osc level ♣ Noise generator level ♣ Ring modulation depth ♣ External signal level
- Filter: Two filter types ♣ Acid type (diode ladder filter design) ♣ Classic type (derived from original Bass Station)
- Features : Cutoff ♣ Resonance ♣ Overdrive ♣ Filter frequency to Mod Envelope depth ♣ Filter frequency to LFO 2 depth
- Select 'Classic' filter between: ♣ Low pass ♣ Band pass ♣ High pass ♣ 12dB slope ♣ 24dB slope
- Envelopes: Two ADSR Envelopes (Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release) ♣ Amp Envelope ♣ Mod Envelope ♣ Combined control of both Envelopes
- Select triggering mode between: ♣ Single trigger (holds envelope state when new note is played) ♣ Multi trigger (re-triggers with every new note played) ♣ Autoglide (engages portamento) There is also a VCA limiter
- LFO: Two LFOs each selectable between: ♣ Triangle ♣ Sawtooth ♣ Square ♣ Sample and hold ♣ Both LFOs independently adjustable between rate and delay time ♣ Key sync LFO 1 & 2 ♣ LFO slew on LFO 1& 2 (low pass filter on the LFO waveform)
No upgrades available
Good so far
I had read good things about this synth, but so far it is exceeding everything the reviews said! A little complex in some areas, but once you get used to the fairly obvious multi function switching, it is a really powerful beast. It has great filters, which are so important and it's equally good for bass, lead and effect sounds. The two octave keyboard is a bit short for me, but hooking it into my MIDI setup means that I can play it from my master keyboard, solving the potential problem. I have a feeling that this could become my favourite live synth!
Great sounding synth, really versatile and not too complex to use, but you can still get a great understanding of how to work the sounds, endless possibilities with this bit of gear, 10/10