Novation Circuit Mono Station
Novation Circuit Mono Station Product Overview by GAK
The Circuit Mono Station from Novation is a next-gen
The ability to record ‘off the grid’ has long been one of the most requested features by Circuit users, and now, with firmware v1.8, you can capture synth and drum tracks directly to microsteps, representing even your most rhythmically complex ideas in all their atemporal glory. From wonky Dilla-style beats and quick-fire fills to authentic-sounding strums and beyond, non-quantised recording takes Circuit to new heights of musicality.
Synth microstep editing
As well as recording your synth lines without quantise, you can now also edit them at the microstep level. With six microsteps to every full step, you’ve got plenty of resolution for repositioning notes off the grid, enabling the programming of subtle timing tweaks, fast triplets and more.
Per-note velocity tracking
Prior to firmware v1.8, all Synth notes falling on the same step were always set to the same velocity. Now, not only will notes recorded over other notes on the same step maintain their velocities independently, but you can manually edit those velocities after the fact. In conjunction with non-quantised recording, per-note velocity tracking makes Circuit more expressive and versatile than ever.
Assignable MIDI channels
Ever wished you could change Circuit’s MIDI channel assignments from their defaults? Now you can! Firmware v1.8 lets you set Synth 1, Synth 2 and Drums to whichever MIDI channels you like, from 1 to 15, for increased flexibility when integrating Circuit into your broader studio setup.
The Circuit v1.8 firmware update is available now as a free download within Novation’s Components content manager.
Onboard there are two oscillators with three distortion modes and a multi-mode filter that can be used to high, low and band pass. The synth allows you to choose between monophonic or paraphonic modes.
Connectivity wise there is a CV/Gate, CV mod plus MIDI In, Out and Thru for connecting and controlling separate hardware.
Other key features include the ability to save upto 64 patches on the device, 16 scale types, changeable sync rates and the ability to modulate sources through the audio input.
Novation Product OverviewCircuit Mono Station is a next-generation sequenced monosynth that originates from the Bass Station II, with three sequencer tracks that benefit from the 32 velocity-sensitive RGB pads found on Circuit. The synth has two oscillators, three distortion modes, plus one multi-mode filter that can be high-pass, low-pass or band-pass.
With Circuit Mono Station, the sync and tuning parameters of its two oscillators can be individually controlled. It also offers four waveshapes (sawtooth, triangle, square and sample + hold), a sub-oscillator, ring modulation and noise generation. Users can get the frequency band they want by applying high-pass, low-pass and band-pass filters with slopes of 12dB and 24dB. In addition, Circuit Mono Station introduces a powerful overdrive.
Both monophonic and
A four-by-eight modulation matrix makes it possible to route from LFO with four waveshapes, envelope, sequencer or velocity, enabling complex modulation for pitch, pulse-width, amp, filter, distortion or CV.
Up to 64 patches can be loaded and saved on the device, right at the user's fingertips. Circuit Mono Station controls separate hardware via CV, gate and modulation outputs, and has MIDI In, Out and Thru, so other MIDI gear can be connected. Passing an audio signal through the audio input opens up a world of analogue filtration and distortion. Using the audio input with the mod sequencer, a source can be modulated, evolved and processed in entirely new ways. Via USB, Circuit Mono Station can be plugged into Mac or PC, where unlimited patches can be managed using Components.
- 32 RGB backlit velocity sensitive button grid
- 18 RGB backlit function buttons
- 8 Pots including dedicated filter and volume pots
- 2 Encoders for tempo and modulation path depth
- 6 RGB backlit mini pots for mixer section
- 4 35mm sliders for envelope ADSR control
- 16 Tact switches
- 27 Orange LEDs for functional selection
- 19 RGB indicator LEDs
- 2 1/4” jack sockets for line out and audio input
- 3 3.5mm jack sockets for MIDI in, out and thru (MIDI din break-out cables included)
- 2 3.5mm jack sockets for analogue clock in and out
- 3 3.5mm jack sockets for CV, gate and aux CV output
- USB socket for system / MIDI comms only (no bus-power)
- Configurable MIDI channels
- Front-mounted 3.5mm jack socket for headphones
- Rubberised knob caps
- Rotary controls secured to the chassis with metal nuts
- Power supply connector
- Power switch
- Kensington Security Slot
- Novation Circuit Mono Station
- USB cable
- 3 MIDI breakout cables
- 12V DC power supply included
- Access to the Sound Collective
- Ableton Live Lite music making software
- 4 GB of Loopmasters sounds and samples
- Free Melodics lessons
- Paraphonic - dual osc, single amp with separate control of each oscillator's pitch
- 64 Synth patches
- 2 Oscillators + sub osc (follows the pitch of osc 1)
- Noise generator
- Coarse and fine tune per osc
- Waveform octave depth 16’, 8’, 4’ or 2’
- Ring mod between osc 1 and 2
- Oscillator waveforms include: • Sine, triangle, sawtooth, square / variable pulse width
- Envelope: • 1 ADSR Envelope (Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release) • Routable via the modulation matrix
- LFO • Single LFO with rate • Sync mode • Waveforms include: o Sine, triangle, sawtooth, square / variable pulse width, sample and hold
- Filter • State variable OTA filter • 12/24dB slope • Low-pass / band-pass / high-pass • Pre-filter overdrive • Frequency and resonance controls
- Modulation • 4x8 Modulation matrix • All modulation routes available at all times with depth control for each route
- Mod sources (4) • Envelope • LFO • Modulation sequence • Pad velocity
- Mod destinations (8) • Osc 1 pitch • Osc 2 pitch • Osc 1 PWM • Osc 2 PWM • Amp • Filter cut-off • Distortion level • Aux CV output
- Mixer: • Osc 1 level • Osc 2 level • Sub Osc level • Noise generator level • Ring modulation depth • Audio In (with gain control)
- Distortion • 3 types of analogue distortion: 1, 2 and 3 (combination of 1 & 2)
- 32 Sessions
- 2 Tracks per session + 1 track modulation sequence
- 16 Patterns for osc 1, 8 patterns for osc 2 and mod sequence
- 16 Demo sessions
- Real time record (notes, with velocity and automation)
- Auto-quantise notes to steps and automation to 6 events per step
- Sequencer resolution 24 PPQN
- 51 Automation parameters
- All knob and slider movements can be recorded (excluding volume)
- All modulation route depths can be automated
- Tempo range 40 - 240 BPM
- Swing 20 - 80%
- Glide amount configurable per step
- 8 Pattern sync rates (incl. triplet rates)
- Pattern direction setting including ping-pong and random
- Pattern mutate
- 8 Global swing sync rates (incl. triplet rates)
- Real Time Performance • Full range velocity scanning and record. Editable to 16 levels • 16 Scale types and chromatic transposition • Synth expand view doubles playable area • Dual view for playing osc 1 and osc 2 simultaneously and independently • Paraphonic mode option switch to select how the amp envelope triggers • Configurable pattern start and end points • Configurable pattern chain • Instant and queued Session switching • Instant and queued Pattern switching
- Editing • Velocity and gate per step • Fractional gate lengths (each step divisible by 6) • Automation edit per step • Clear step, automation parameter per pattern, pattern, session Duplicate step, pattern