Novation Circuit Tracks Groovebox
Overview by GAK
The Circuit Tracks is a top choice if you’re looking for an all-in-one beat making machine that’s a joy to use. Thanks to its built-in rechargeable battery and compact form factor, you can produce on-the-go! If you were a fan of the original Circuit, you’ll love the Circuit Tracks.
The Novation Circuit Tracks is a complete and portable production suite, with two synths, two MIDI and four drum tracks at your disposal. With a hands-on workflow that invites you to create, the Circuit Tracks is pure fun in a box. The Circuit Tracks is an upgraded version of the immensely popular Circuit, with fresh features that extend its practical and sonic capabilities. It’s effectively a drum machine, synthesizer, sampler, polyphonic sequencer and DAW - in one awesome package.
Creating arrangements is a breeze with the Circuit Tracks’ powerful onboard sequencer. You can create a 32-step pattern which can be then chained - giving you up to 256 steps per track! If you want to get wonky and off-grid, you can use Microtiming feature. For on-the-fly variations, there’s Probability (which allows you to determine the chance of a step being triggered) and Pattern Mutate (which randomly resequences your patterns). With the View Lock mode, you can edit and view a pattern before it’s engaged.
Dual Synth Engine
There are two digital polyphonic synthesizer tracks to use in your creations, which sound immense. They’re powerful synth engines in their own right, with plenty of scope for sound design. Once you’ve hooked up your Circuit Tracks to the editor in Components, you can see how the patch is set up and customise how the knobs interact. When you’ve selected a synth preset, the eight macro knobs can be used for quick tweaking of key parameters such as effects, filter cutoff and modulation.
Sequence Your Setup
With two dedicated MIDI tracks to play with, you can use the Circuit Tracks to send note data automation data to your other gear.
Novation’s Circuit Tracks comes equipped with an arsenal of effects, which you can use to enhance your productions. From pumping sidechain compression to spatial effects like reverb & delay to the punchy master compressor - the Circuit Tracks has everything you need to create dynamic music.
The Circuit Tracks features a Micro SD card input, which allows you to store up to 32 Packs and load in your own samples. 64 Projects, as well as samples and patches, can be stored in a Pack. Each Project contains all the data for track, automation, scene, pattern playback. You can also hook up the Circuit Tracks via USB to the free Components software, where you can rearrange, back-up and replace your Packs.
As a Circuit Tracks owner, make sure to download update v1.1.5 via the free Components software. This incredible update triples the Circuit Tracks’ onboard sample, upgrading it from 60 seconds to 3 minutes/196.6 seconds!
Novation have taken the Circuit Tracks to the next level by kitting it out with a superior connectivity spec, which includes 5-pin MIDI (In, Out & Thru), USB, analogue sync via CV, two 1/4" mono inputs and 1/4" stereo outputs.
Thanks to its built-in rechargeable battery (which provides up to four hours of jamming), you can create with the Circuit Tracks any time inspiration strikes - whether that’s at home or on the road. The Circuit Tracks is also USB bus-powered and comes with cable & power adaptor.
Once you’ve registered you Circuit Tracks, you can be initiated into the Novation Sound Collective - where you can download a free plug-in and receive deep discounts every few months.
The Circuit Tracks is hard to beat for the price, giving you a fully-equipped music production studio that you can fit in a backpack and jam with on-the-go. Novation are well-known for releasing free updates and enhancements after launch so the feature list will probably grow!
- All-in-one studio: Two synth tracks, two MIDI tracks and four drum tracks: everything you need to create and perform music.
- The agile groovebox: Lose yourself in a hands-on production workflow. Let your creativity thrive.
- Acclaimed, hands-on sequencer: Create 32-step patterns, chainable for up to 256 steps sequences per track. Go off-grid with microtiming, and keep your music evolving with probability and pattern mutate.
- Colossal sound: Expand your sonic capabilities with two refined polyphonic digital synth tracks. Load your own samples and shape them to perfection across four drums tracks.
- Total control of your setup: Pilot your studio with two dedicated MIDI tracks, capable of sending notes and CC automation.
- FX on everything: Douse synths, drums, and incoming audio in lush reverb and delay, make your mix pump with sidechain, and punch with the master compressor.
- Comprehensive connectivity: Connect to your studio with full-size five-pin MIDI in, out, and thru, and analogue sync out. Mix and apply effects to two audio inputs, and listen through stereo out or with headphones.
- Never stop creating: Insert a microSD card to save thousands of synth patches, samples and projects.
- Create anywhere: The built-in rechargeable battery provides up to four hours of battery life, so you can make beats on the move.
- Go further with Components: Novation Components is the online companion that lets you delve into the synth engine, load samples and backup projects.
- Sound Collective: Register your Circuit Rhythm today to get access to free plugins and content with Novation Sound Collective.
- As of Firmware Update v1.1.5: Up to 3 minutes (196.6 seconds) enhanced sample time.
- 32 RGB Backlit Velocity Sensitive Pads
- 28 RGB Backlit Tactile Click Buttons
- Power button with charge status LED
- USB-C Socket
- Kensington MiniSaver Slot
- 3x MIDI DIN (In, Out, Thru)
- MicroSD card slot
- 3.5mm Sync Out
- 2x Mono Audio In
- Unbalanced Stereo Out
- Headphones out
- 8x Endless Encoder Macro Knobs with RGB indicators
- Volume Knob
- Master Filter Knob with centre detent
- Edit and create synth patches, add your own samples, backup Projects, and more with Novation Components (Web and Standalone)
- USB bus powered, USB Power supply included
- Built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (4 hour run-time). Charge via USB-C port.
- Enjoy three years of warranty: Wherever you happen to be in the world, you can rely on a three-year warranty if any Novation hardware needs repairing or replacing due to a manufacturing fault.
No upgrades available
This is my second one. I owned the original circuit, sold it a year later along with other gear to buy a fender telecaster. Regretted it and just bought one again. Don't like the way the patterns are arranged, can't chain repeat patterns and nudge notes seems to have gone in this version but the 2 midi channels make up for it. For the money it's a no brainer. Excellent level entry groovebox.
Vastly improved vs it’s predecessor, it does what it does very well. The workflow could do with a few shortcuts, for example using clear to quickly erase a bad take. But my biggest gripe is the lack of additional sample packs at launch. These are all points I would expect Novation to address in time.
It's amazing, I love the fact it takes 10 seconds to start a new track from scratch, but it's actually packed with pro-features. Great design. I love my little portable groovebox. Thank you Novation!
Brilliant product and reliable delivery