Pioneer DJ DDJ-400 Digital DJ Controller
Pioneer DJ DDJ-400 Digital DJ Controller
A compact, lightweight 2-channel DJ Controller from the DDJ Range, with Pad Modes, Rekordbox and RCA Outputs.
Overview By GAK
The DDJ-400 is a DJ controller from Pioneer DJ, specifically designed for new DJ’s to start their new hobby. If you are someone that loves the idea of becoming the next DJ sensation but have never touched a pair of decks, Pioneer DJ has ensured that the DDJ-400 comes with everything you need to get started.
The DDJ-400 is a 2 channel Controller with what is called a club layout, which means you have 2 decks and a mixer. Having 2 decks means you have the ability to line up two different tracks on your laptop and use the mixer to blend them together.
The controller’s compact and portable design means that you can sling it in a rucksack or Pioneer DJ DJC-B DJ Controller Bag without busting your back. It’s small enough to use in a bedroom, at parties or as a backup controller, just in case.
The Pioneer DJ DDJ-400 features a built-in audio/MIDI interface, making it plug and play. Just plug the included USB cable into your computer and you’re good to go! You then have a wide choice of monitoring options.
You can either use headphones, your computer’s internal speakers or connect an external set of monitors/PA system via the RCA Master Output. You can even listen to the tracks you want to cue via the headphone port and have the main mix pumping through the master output, an essential feature for the performing DJ.
As the DDJ-400 is not a standalone controller, it needs to be used with a laptop, plugged in via USB. The USB connection not only powers on the DDJ-400, but it also allows you to control the included professional DJ Software, Rekordbox.
Rekordbox is a piece of music management software that can be used exclusively with Pioneer DJ hardware. Whether you’re using a controller, CDJ’s or timecoded vinyl, Rekordbox gives you the ability to play music from your own collection or compatible streaming service.
Once you have downloaded the free version of Rekordbox, you will then be able to load it in your music library stored on your computer. If you do not have much of a music collection to pull from, Pioneer DJ has got you covered. Rekordbox is compatible with popular streaming services, including Beatport, Soundcloud, Beat Source and Tidal.
The DDJ-400 is the first Pioneer DJ Controller to feature independent Pad Modes. Having a choice of different Pad Modes allows DJs to explore more creative ways to mix tunes together. There are four dedicated Pad Mode buttons, each with a secondary option per deck, giving you a total of 8.
The 8 different Pad Modes per deck are; Hot Cue, Beat Loop, Beat Jump, Sampler, Keyboard, Pad FX 1, Pad FX 2 and Key Shift. You can even reassign the pads within the included free professional DJ software, Rekordbox.
- Hot Cue - enables you to place a marker on a track and each time you press the pad, the track will play from that point.
- Beat Loop - set a start/endpoint of a section of a track and this phrase will repeat in a loop.
- Beat Jump - allows a DJ to jump back to different sections within a track.
- Sampler - load in user samples to Rekordbox and then trigger them with the pad. You can even cut your favourite sections from a track and add them to your sampler. This is great for finger-drumming or sounding that klaxon/horn!
- Keyboard - This allows a DJ to transpose the Hot Cues you have previously set in semi-tone steps.
- Pad FX 1/2 - Trigger effects that you have assigned to either FX1 or FX2 on Rekordbox.
- Key Shift - Transpose your track the moment the button is pressed whilst it is playing.
The Pioneer DDJ-400 features a Beat FX section within the mixer. Beat FX can be assigned per channel or onto the master output in real-time. There is a huge selection of effects to play with, making your DJ sets more creative and fun.
So you can command every party/event you DJ at, the Pioneer DJ DDJ-400 has a built-in microphone input with its own volume control. This means you can hype up any crowd, MC or host speeches at popular events, like weddings or club nights.
Free Online DJ Tutorials
Finding this all a bit overwhelming? There’s no need to worry, as Pioneer DJ has embedded free lessons within the Rekordbox software, walking you through each stage of a mix.
- Compatible with rekordbox dj Tutorial feature
- Club-style layout
- CDJ-style looping controls
- Beat FX
- Includes rekordbox dj licence
- Built-in sound card
- USB powered
- Class compliant
- Mic input circuit
- Lightweight and portable
- Main Features
- Compatible DJ Software - rekordbox
- Software System Requirements:
- Compatible OS
- - Mac - macOS High Sierra 10.13 (updated to the latest version), macOS Sierra 10.12 (updated to the latest version), OS X 10.11 (updated to the latest version)
- Windows - Windows® 10, 8.1, 7 (the latest service pack), CPU Intel® processor Core™ i7, i5, i3
- - Memory - 4GB or more of RAM
- What's in the box:
- - DDJ-400
- - USB cable
- - Warranty (for some regions)
- - Operating instructions (Quick Start Guide)
- - Width 482 mm
- - Height 58.5 mm
- - Depth 272.4 mm
- - Weight 2.1 kg
- - Soundcard 24 bit/44.1 kHz
- - Frequency Range 20 - 20000 Hz
- - Signal-to-Noise Ratio 103 dB
- - Distortion < 0.005 % (USB)
- Performance Control:
- - Channels - 2
- - Deck Control - 2
- - Jog Wheel - 132 mm
- - Beat FX - Yes
- - Sound color FX - Yes
- - Sampler - 16slot x 4bank
- - Hot Cues -8
- - Manual Loop - Yes
- - Beat Jump - Yes
- - Fader Start - Yes
- - Crossfader Curve Adjust - Yes
- - Inputs - 1 MIC (1/4 inch TS Jack)
- - USB - 1 USB B port
- - Outputs - 1 MASTER (RCA), 1 HEADPHONE MONITOR (Mini-jack)
- * The specifications and design of this product are subject to change without notice.
Great product, great service, fast delivery!
I haven't even opened it yet but from what i know pioneer products are top notch my daughter will love playing nice with this on Christmas day
Great portable controller that can do so much for the price payed for it.
Our son loves this. Excellent intro to digital mixing with wide range of built-in pre-sets and controls. Runs two or four channels, so there's plenty of mixing options available. Perfect for bedroom mixing and live sets. Comes with Rekordbox software and tutorial guide which gets you up and running in minutes. Recommended by the GAK team in Brighton as a good first deck and we couldn't agree more!
My Son loves this product!