PreSonus FaderPort 8 USB Production Controller
Overview by GAK
The PreSonus Faderport 8 presents one of the most effective and affordable ways to supercharge your computer-based workflow and inject some analogue-style interaction with your DAW. Featuring a compact, robust build with plenty of tactile controls - the Faderport 8 is a fantastic one-stop solution if you’re looking for a hands-on way to control your in-the-box sessions.
Accelerate Your Workflow
Presonus’ Faderport 8 is a compact USB DAW-control device, with an array of responsive controls that you can use to precisely control software parameters. Rather than aiming to replace your keyboard & mouse altogether, the Faderport 8 has been designed to enhance and augment this workflow - providing you with hands-on control over the parameters you’d most want to grab on to during a session. The Faderport 8 has been intuitively designed so that even the most staunch mouse-and-keyboard users will find it easy to transition to using this brilliant hardware controller.
The headline feature of the Faderport 8 is its eight 100mm motorised faders. They can be used to control channel level, aux send level, panning and plug-in parameters. These faders are touch-sensitive, which is an essential tool when recording automation as you can quickly activate/deactivate it by touching/releasing the fader. They feel like a premium console, with a smooth action that has a nice resistance to it. If you’re someone that needs a highly responsive and efficient way to draw in automation, the Faderport 8 is highly recommended.
Altogether, you have a whopping 65 buttons at your fingertips which cover 78 various functions, including the vital Select, Solo and Mute controls. They’re a huge part of what makes the Faderport 8 an asset to your production workflow, giving you the ability to adjust your plugins, tempo, auxiliary mixes and more in an instant.
On the right-hand side of the Faderport 8, you have an assortment of automation & transport controls as well as the powerful Session Navigator encoder. With these, you can effortless navigate through the most track-laden sessions, zoom in/out to make edits, bank through tracks in addition to the important start/stop playback functions. If you want to control playback hands-free, there’s a footswitch input on the rear (we recommend the Boss FS-5L)
Visual feedback is provided by the eight high-definition scribble strip displays. A very handy feature of the screens is that they follow and reflect your mouse selections.
Comptabile With Major DAWs
If you’re a Live user, you can use the Faderport 8’s deeper integration to alternate between Session & Arrangement views, navigate through Scenes & Clips and alter track volume & panning.
Studio One users can access a host of additional features and capabilities thanks to its native integration. You can bypass every plug-in on a track with just one button, use Link Parameter to allow the Pan/Param encoder to follow your mouse and give you instant control over any parameter and use the Session Navigator knob to scroll through sections in the Arranger track.
The PreSonus Faderport 8 is a well-built and thoughtfully designed USB controller that gives you immediate and hands-on control over your software sessions. PreSonus have managed to pack a dizzying amount of features into a compact device that’ll easily fit onto your desktop. If you’re ready to take your workflow to the next level, pick up a Faderport 8 today!
Overview by PreSonus
Don’t kill that mouse—give it a companion.
Although a keyboard and mouse are tried-and-true DAW-control devices, they’re far more effective when used in tandem with the FaderPort™ 8’s precise tactile control over mix and automation functions. With 8 touch-sensitive, motorized, 100 mm faders and 65 buttons covering 78 different functions, you can quickly zoom in on audio files for editing, adjust your click-track tempo with a simple tap, modify plug-in parameters, manage aux mixes—and, of course, control track levels with the touch of a finger. With the FaderPort 8, you’ll enjoy the fastest, most efficient workflow you’ve ever experienced.
Work faster and smarter.
Rather than forcing you to revise your mixing method, the FaderPort 8 augments the way you currently mix. You still use your faithful keyboard and mouse for things they do well, and the FaderPort 8 handles the features you want to get your fingers on, allowing you to customize your workflow. Large, illuminated buttons make finding the function you need quick and easy. Eight digital scribble strips provide visual feedback. And if you select a track with your mouse, the FaderPort 8 will follow your selection, giving you yet another way to get to the function you need, right when you need it. This is DAW control the way you always hoped it could be!
One-button access to key functions.
The FaderPort 8’s unique Session Navigator provides easy access to eight mission-critical functions for maximum flexibility. Use the large encoder button and companion buttons to edit and mix with greater efficiency and speed. Scroll through your timeline, using the encoder, or work measure by measure with the arrow buttons; zoom in and out on the timeline with the encoder and make your tracks larger or smaller with the arrow buttons; navigate and drop markers; and maintain constant control of your main level. Once you start using the Session Navigator, you’ll wonder how you mixed without it.
Features may vary depending on your software.
Universal compatibility. Integrated with Ableton Live.
While compatible with most third-party software, FaderPort 8 offers deeper integration with Ableton Live (version 10.1.5 and later). Navigate clips and scenes, change track volume and panning, and switch between Session and Arranger views, the FaderPort 8 will help you work faster than ever. Even better: any FaderPort 8 purchased after January 18, 2020 gets a free copy of Ableton Live Lite dropped in your My.PreSonus account.
FaderPort 8’s streamlined workflow and support for the Mackie Control and HUI protocols also make it fast and easy to control Logic Pro X, Cubase, Pro Tools, and more. No driver installation is necessary; just plug the control surface into a USB port and take command of your mix.
Built for Studio One.
The optimized mode for PreSonus Studio One® will revolutionize your workflow in PreSonus’ award-winning DAW (Studio One Artist included). Use the Session Navigator to quickly move and nudge events in the Arranger window. The unique Link function allows you to instantly control any parameter beneath your mouse with the large encoder. Control link lets you customize your function buttons and much more. You’ll be amazed at how much faster you can work.
An amazingly fast, efficient studio workflow awaits you!
With the compact, easy-to-use FaderPort 8, you’ll enjoy the fastest, most efficient workflow you’ve ever experienced.
- 8 touch-sensitive, 100 mm long-throw, motorized faders
- 8 high-definition Scribble Strip displays
- Complete recording-transport controls: Play, Stop, Fast Forward, Rewind, Record, Loop
- Drop Marker, Next/Prev Marker, Next / Prev Event
- General session controls: Undo/Redo, Arm All, Solo/Mute Clear, Track Management, Click On/Off with tap tempo
- Session Navigator provides quick control over track scrolling, channel banking, timeline scrolling, and much more
- Channel Controls: Level, Pan, Solo, Mute, Rec Arm
- Automation Controls: Touch, Latch, Trim, Write, Read, Off
- Optional Fader functionality: plug-in edit, bus sends, pan
- macOS® / Windows® compatible with native Studio One® support and HUI and Mackie Control Universal emulation
- Footswitch input for hands-free start/stop
- USB 2.0 connectivity
- Input / Output: 1 USB 2.0 port, 1 Footswitch jack for hands-free stop/start
- Faders: 8 100 mm long-throw, touch-sensitive, motorized faders, Dual-servo motorized drive belt system for fast and quiet operation, Ultra-smooth feel and lightning fast, Heavy-duty construction
- Resolution: 10-bit, 1,024 steps
- General Controls: Undo/Redo, Arm All, Solo/Mute Clear, Timecode, Track Management, Click On/Off, 4 programmable User buttons, 8 Function buttons, Macro, Parameter Link, Bypass Plug-ins
- Channel Controls: Level, Pan, Solo, Mute, Select, Rec Arm
- Automation Controls: Touch, Latch, Trim, Write, Read, Off
- Optional Fader Functionality: Plug-in Edit, Bus Sends, Pan
- Window View: Mix, Project, Transport, Undo
- Transport: Play, Stop, Fast Forward, Rewind, Record, Loop, Return to Zero (Functionality varies slightly depending on the DAW.)
- Navigation: Track Scroll, Channel Banking, Timeline Scroll, Horizontal Zoom, Vertical Zoom, Drop Marker, Next/Prev Marker, Next/Prev Event, Nudge
- Console Management: Show/Hide: Audio Tracks, Inputs, MIDI Tracks, Buses, Outputs, VCAs, FX; Show All
- Displays: 8 digital scribble strip displays, timecode display, channel meters
- Power: 12 VDC, 2A external power supply
- Height: 2.25" (57.2 mm)
- Depth: 11.85" (301 mm)
- Width: 13.15" (334 mm)
- Weight: 5 lbs. (2.3 kg)
- macOS® 10.13 or higher (64-bit only), Intel® Core™ i3 or better
- Windows 10 (64-bit only), Intel Core i3 / AMD A10 or better recommended
- FaderPort 8 firmware 1.0.1 or later (requires Universal Control v.1.8.3 or later)
- USB 2.0 port
- Internet connection required for driver and bundled software installation
- Universal Control v.1.8.3 or later (for firmware updates)
- PreSonus FaderPort 8 has been tested and approved to work with the following software: Native Mode, PreSonus® Studio One® 3.3.2 or later, HUI Emulation Supported by Pro Tools 12 or later, Mackie Universal Control Emulation*
- Supported by Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, and Ableton
- *Users of third-party DAWs not listed that support the Mackie Control protocol, such as Reason, Bitwig Studio, and Reaper, should contact their DAW vendor for support.
- Note: A firmware update is currently required for full functionality. Please download and install Universal Control version 1.8.3 or later and run the firmware updater when prompted. See the FaderPort 8 Owner's Manual for instructions.
- As a commitment to constant improvement, PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc., reserves the right to change any specification stated herein, at any time, without notification.
No upgrades available
Quality build , very nice feel and it works well with Studio one and LOGIC , very happy with it
Bought the single Faderport from GAK about a year or two ago. Loved using it so much that I couldn’t help myself when passing the shop recently and noticed the Faderport 8 in stock. Bought it instantly and it’s fabulous... much more organic way of mixing, reminiscent of when I first started recording back in the late 70s, yet with all the advantages and flexibility digital now gives us. Very happy!
Great DAW controller with all the controls and functions you need. Please bear in mind even though this is a universal controller it is geared towards Studio One. Cubase (what i use) is very limited. To work around this I've been using a patch designed by a third party company (2600hz) that enables all functions in MCU mode. Presonus are slowly improving the firmware for MCU and pro tools so hopefully functionality across all DAWs will be implemented. Great build quality, sleek design, nice price.
Get one. But hold down select buttons 1 & 2 when you first switch it on, and select your mode option (it depends on your DAW). If you don't do this it will not do anything,and that is rather disconcerting after spending four hundred quid.Well made and lovely lights - run the "Mardi Gras" fader test, turn the lights off and gather the kids around for a jolly all singing and dancing lights-fest :-) Worth four hundred quid just for that...well praps not but it's a good tool especially when used in Presonus Studio One.
If your DAW of choice is Studio One you need to get this!