PreSonus Quantum 2
PreSonus Quantum 2 Audio Interface overview by GAK
The Quantum 2 audio interface from PreSonus provides an almost unparalleled level of sound quality operating on 24-bit, 192kHz converters with 120 dB of dynamic range.
Its signature XMAX re-callable Class A analogue mic preamps guarantee high-quality recordings with exceptionally high headroom and wide frequency range, plus Audiophile-grade digital converters and low-jitter clocking mean the Quantum 2 never fails to deliver an exceptionally clean sound, allowing you to focus on every minute detail of your audio.
Pair this with Thunderbolt 2 connectivity and the Quantum 2 is capable of delivering high-quality audio at low latency high speeds.
Straight out the box, the Quantum 2’s tough looking all-metal chassis is impressive to look at.
Boasting a multitude of connections including two-combo mic/instrument inputs and two additional combo mic/line inputs, each propped up by digitally controlled XMAX preamps and individual +48V phantom power. On the rear face, two additional combo mic/line-level inputs neighbour four balanced line level outputs for connecting to speakers and or headphones. Further along, BNC word clock connections sit beside stereo S/PDIF ins/outs plus ADAT optical ins/outs. Finally, the Quantum 2’s MIDI ports allow connectivity with MIDI devices such as synths and MIDI controllers whilst the BNC word clock I/O ensures your Quantum 2 interface is smoothly integrated with any other digital audio devise you may be using.
In other words, there is a lot that can run through this compact (2.27KG) interface, and if that still isn’t enough, Thunderbolt connectivity allows you to stack up to four interfaces together creating a gigantic system with up to 80 in and out.
Returning to the front end, monitor your signals with 6, 8-segment LED strips (4-input 2-output) as well as manually adjust the preamp gain and toggle the phantom power for every microphone input via the control panel, a feature that really helps you find that perfect level for each of your mic’s.
Your purchase of the Phantom 2 allows you to get straight to work even with no prior DAW installed on your system, thanks to the inclusion of PreSonus’ Studio One© Artist software, which transforms your audio interface into a fully functioning, highly-integrated recording package, giving you a platform to record, arrange, edit and mix your music from the get-go.
Is the Quantum 2 a portable interface?
Yes, the Quantum 2 is a highly portable device compared to its older brother the original Quantum, it will fit into a bag and due to its relatively low weight of just 2.27KG, it's not a burden to carry around. The unit still requires power and therefore you will need a source to bring the interface to life but thanks to its compact design it allows you to set up a studio in a multitude of locations.
Will purchasing the Quantum 2
Thanks to the inclusion of Presonus' Studio One© Artist software, you can start laying down your tracks as soon as you complete the quick and easy installation process. Plug the Quantum 2 power supply into your mains and connect the Thunderbolt 2 cable to your computer and get started!
As I develop my skills I may wish to expand and upgrade my equipment, can the Quantum 2 accommodate my growth?
With an array of various connections to start with the Quantum 2 Audio Interface ensures you have the ability to record mics, instruments and MIDI devices from the off. With the ADAT Optical I/O and S/PDIF stereo digital I/O, you can utilize up to 18 digital ins and out, however, thanks to the Quantum 2's seamless stack system, you can stack up to FOUR Quantum 2 interfaces via Thunderbolt, resulting in a massive rig capable of facilitating up to 80 in and out.
- PreSonus’ fastest and best-sounding audio/MIDI interface
- Uses high-speed Thunderbolt 2 bus
- 24-bit resolution and up to 192 kHz sampling rate (120 dB dynamic range)
- 22x24; expandable to 80x80 by stacking up to four Quantums via Thunderbolt
- 2 combo mic/instrument inputs with recallable XMAX preamps
- 2 combo mic/line inputs with recallable XMAX preamps
- +48V phantom power (switchable per channel)
- 6 8-segment LED meters (8 input, 2 output)
- 4 ¼” TRS line outputs, DC coupled
- 1 ¼” headphone output with dedicated volume
- Dual ADAT Optical I/O
- S/PDIF, MIDI, and BNC word clock I/O
- Assignable output level control
- Studio One Artist and Studio Magic Plug-in Suite included; upgrade to Studio One Professional for 50% off
- Mic Preamps: 4 Recallable XMAX
- Analog Inputs: 2 mic/ instrument, 2 mic/line
- Analog Outputs: 4 1⁄4” TRS line, 1 1⁄4“ stereo headphones
- ADAT I/O: Yes
- S/PDIF I/O: Yes
- MIDI I/O: Yes
- Word Clock: Yes
- Phantom Power: per channel
- Converters (Dynamic Range): A/D/A 120 dB
- Power: External Power Supply
- Data Bus: Thunderbolt 2
- Bit Depth/ Sample Rate: 24-bit/ 192 kHz
- Free Software: UC Surface, Studio One Artist
No upgrades available