PreSonus StudioLive III 16 Digital Mixer
Presonus Product Overview
Following up on its enthusiastically received StudioLive® 32 digital console/recorder, PreSonus® has unveiled the StudioLive® 16 digital console/recorder. The result of nine years of R&D, this second model in PreSonus’ StudioLive Series III line is fully recallable, with 17 touch-sensitive, motorized faders and 17 recallable XMAX preamps. The new 24-input console further improves on the StudioLive’s legendary ease of use while letting you customize its workflow and operations to fit the way you work.
Although it boasts 16 physical analog input channels, with 8 XLR microphone inputs and 8 combo mic/line inputs, and fits in a standard 19-inch rack (with optional rack ears), the new console is identical to the StudioLive 32 “under the hood,” providing 32 internal channels. All 32 internal channels can be addressed digitally via AVB or USB.
As with the StudioLive 32, PreSonus Capture™ multitrack recording software with virtual soundcheck is installed directly into the StudioLive 16 so you can leave your laptop at home. With just one touch, Capture records up to 32 tracks to the StudioLive 16’s onboard SD recorder. When finished recording, open your Capture session in Studio One® for Mac® and Windows® (included), and the entire mix scene will transfer to your Studio One session, including fader levels and Fat Channel settings.
The StudioLive 16’s distinctive Fat Channel processing section has received a major overhaul, including a plug-in-style workflow that features vintage-style EQ and compression options on every channel, from classic tube limiters to passive EQs. In addition to channel processing, the StudioLive 16 offers 6-band, fully parametric EQ on all mix outputs.
StudioLive 16 goes above and beyond in providing ways to customize things to best fit the way you work. User layers for the channel faders let you place any channel or bus fader anywhere you want—and they’re easy to set up. You also can customize your Fat Channel layout, putting the parameters you care about most right at your fingertips, and there are several workflow options to personalize your mixing experience.
With StudioLive 16, you can customize scenes even more precisely than with previous models. You could always decide which settings would be recalled in a global StudioLive scene change. Now, with Scene Safe, a scene change won’t alter the settings on designated “safe” channels. Similarly, Fat Channel presets have, for practical purposes, become like scenes for individual channels, not only saving input and Fat Channel settings but also aux send and bus assignments. Of course you can also use preset filters to choose what you want to recall.
Don’t you hate it when you have an unused subgroup but you’re short one monitor mix? That’s not a problem anymore, thanks to 16 FlexMixes that can be individually designated as aux, subgroup, or matrix mixes. These 16 FlexMixes are in addition to the 4 fixed subgroups giving you a total of 20 mix buses, not counting the main mix and solo buses. And with 24 DCAs, you can more easily and flexibly control groups of channels.
An AVB Ethernet connection enables you to network multiple StudioLive 16 mixers and compatible computers and stream up to 55 channels of audio to and from a Mac or Windows PC. You also get 38x38 recording via USB 2.0, giving you a choice of computer recording methods. In addition to the AVB recording connection, StudioLive 16 consoles sport a 1 Gb Ethernet port that can connect to a wireless router or directly to a computer, providing remote control of virtually all features via a wired or wireless connection.
PreSonus StudioLive 16 mixers are tightly integrated with an entire suite of state-of-the-art software. Mix wirelessly or over a wired network from anywhere using free UC Surface touch-control software for Mac, Windows, and iPad®. Even add a second—or third, or even fourth!—screen for fast workflow. Remote control the mixer’s recallable XMAX preamps and Fat Channel processing with Studio One Artist (included) for low-latency recording with effects. Completely automate virtual soundchecks and record shows with Capture for Mac and Windows (included)—or record with Studio One or with any software that supports ASIO or Core Audio. Musicians can control their monitor mixes onstage with free QMix®-UC for iPhone®, iPod® touch, or Android™ device without the need for large monitor networks.
- 16-channel digital mixing console with built-in SD card recorder
- Record and play back up to 34 channels via USB, or up to 55 channels via AVB Ethernet
- Built-in SD card support for multitrack recording and virtual soundchecks
- Fully-recallable XMAX preamps with ultra-low noise floor
- 17 touch-sensitive motorized faders allow you to mix with precision
- 24 DCA groups help you manage complex productions with high channel counts
- Four internal effects buses
- Support for insert effects on up to four channels
- Fat Channel processing provides vintage EQ and compression options for each channel
- Better visual feedback than ever, with full-color touchscreen and channel scribble strips
- Advanced scene management helps you manage complex mixing tasks more efficiently
- 16 Flex Mixes can be used as Aux mixes, Subgroups, or Matrix mixes
- Bluetooth wireless streaming makes it easy to play music from a smartphone or tablet
- Software package includes UC Surface 2 touch-control software (Mac/PC/iOS), Capture recording software (Mac/PC), Studio One Professional DAW software (Mac/PC), QMix personal monitoring app (iOS/Android)