Radial StageBug SB-4 Piezo DI
The Radial StageBug SB-4 is a compact active direct box that has been optimized for use with piezo transducers. This enables violin, dobro, mandolin, cello, upright bass and other instruments that are best amplified using a piezo to be connected without compromising the tone or frequency response.
The design begins with a -+" input for the instrument pickup. Unlike typical direct boxes that have a 1meg-ohm input impedance, the SB-4 features a very high 5meg-ohm impedance that smoothes out troublesome peaks that give piezos a bad name. The higher impedance also broadens the frequency response for a more natural and pleasing sound. The active circuit performs the high-to-low impedance conversion and balances the signal to enable long runs upwards to 100 meters without loss, delivering spectacular linearity and low distortion throughout the audio range.
To help eliminate feedback on stage, the SB-4 is equipped with a high-pass filter and 180-¦ polarity reverse switch. The high pass filter eliminates excessive bottom end which in turn reduces resonance that can cause the top of the instrument to vibrate. The 180-¦ polarity reverse helps reduce acoustic hot spots on stage by changing the phase relationship between the PA system and room acoustics which can combine at certain frequencies to create peaks. Reversing the polarity eliminates the acoustic peak without resorting to severe equalization which only serves to compromise the natural tone of the instrument. Connections include an AUX out for a stage amplifier plus a standard XLR output to feed the PA. Power is derived from the console's 48V phantom, thus eliminating the need for batteries or external supply. One simply connects, turns on the phantom power and plays!
These features combined with the compact size make the StageBug SB-4 the perfect companion for orchestral artists, blue grass players and pop string quartets that need to turn it up when in concert.
Call GAK now for product info, advice and the Best Prices - 01273 665400
- Active DI optimized for piezo transducers
- Smoothes out peaks, eliminates squawk
- High pass filter eliminates resonance
- Ultra compact to fit in your guitar case
- Using the SB-4 on classical guitar
- -Connect your piezo pickup directly to the StageBug SB-4 to get the best tone. No preamp is required! Activate the low-pass filter to eliminate resonance and you are set to go. The SB-4 balances the signal for long runs and smoothes out the peaks for a more natural sounding concert guitar!
- Using the SB-4 on dobro
- -Use the SB-4 with a piezo on your resonator guitar to capture the unique sound of the body. Connect the AUX out to a stage amp if you like and then send the signal to the PA. The SB-4 will help eliminate the mid range squawk and frequency peaks that often force the sound engineer to turn you down in the mix.
- Using the SB-4 on upright
- -Traveling with an upright is expensive! So reducing the size of the ancillary equipment is important. The super compact SB-4 connects from the piezo pickup to the PA and you do not need a preamp in between. The SB-4 delivers a deeper bass and more natural top end, greatly improving your tone through the PA.