Rhodes Mk8 Electric Piano, Transparent Smoked Hood with Walnut Base
Rhodes Mk8 Electric Piano, Transparent Smoked Hood with Walnut Base
Overview by GAK
A truly iconic, rare and sought after musical instrument has been reborn. The Rhodes Mk8 electric piano boasts road-ready reliability and a host of modern features. This is the most complete and inspiring version of the legendary e-piano yet.
This version of the Rhodes Mk8 electric piano is the cream of the crop. Boasting the optional analogue effects unit as well as top-tier visual appointments such as the stunning Walnut base and transparent smoked hood, this Rhodes Mk8 has a captivating look to match its evocative sound.
A Legend, Reborn
The Rhodes electric piano is one of the most recorded and evocative instruments of all time, having appeared on countless classic recordings and favoured by a wide range of renowned artists. Icons such as Stevie Wonder, Chick Corea, John Paul Jones, Ray Charles, Paul McCartney and Nicolas Godin have all been inspired by the Rhodes piano over the years.
The Real Deal
Like the beloved earlier versions of the Rhodes electric piano, the 8th generation is a proper electro-mechanical instrument that uses steel tines and pickups to generate its distinctive sound. All the essential components that give the Rhodes its magical sound have been improved, including custom-made damper combs, Alnico pickups with anti-slip adjustment and freshly-designed four-zone hammer tips. The result is the most reliable, responsive and dynamic Rhodes ever made, with a tone, feel and intonation that easily outclasses its predecessors. The sustain pedal has also been given a new lease of life, with its flexible and anti-slip integrated rubber mat.
A huge part of the Rhodes Mark 8’s luxurious and expressive playing experience is catered for by the keybed, which is a Kluge Klaviaturen creation. Kluge Klaviaturen are part of the Steinway group and are internationally renowned for the extraordinary quality of their keyboards.
Made To Order
Each Rhodes Mk8 electric piano is lovingly built to order by Rhodes’ master craftsmen, using only hand-selected components. There’s no doubt that the Rhodes Mk8 is a premium instrument with serious prestige.
All Analogue Signal Path
The inherent sonic flexibility of Rhodes Mk8 allows you to conjure all the quintessential electric piano sounds and more without the need for any additional effects or outboard. Whilst the Rhodes Mk8 features upgrades and modern updates across the board, it retains a true analogue signal path - from the pickups to the output - ensuring that trademark lushness and warmth.
Shape Your Sound
From the pickups, the audio signal runs into a custom Rhodes-engineered Mk8 analogue preamp. This feature-packed preamp presents a plethora of sound sculpting parameters, including independent drive, 3-band parametric EQ, envelope (auto-wah), wah and Vari-Pan. The Vari-Pan makes running this electric piano in stereo nigh-on essential, as you can instantly attain that gorgeous panned Rhodes sound. With adjustable rate/depth, four waveshapes to choose from (Square, Sawtooth, Triangle & Sine) and the ability to run the LFO into audio rates, the Vari-Pan vastly expands the palette of sounds the Rhodes Mk8 electric piano can achieve.
Lush Analogue Effects
Next in the chain is the onboard analog effects section, which offers an intuitive VCA compressor, Chorus, Phaser and stereo bucket-brigade delay. With these effects, you can design a record-ready Rhodes sound before your signal hits the mixing desk.
Rhodes have equipped the Mk 8 with a wealth of connectivity options. Output-wise, you have stereo 1/4" outs and balanced XLR outs. The effect send and return jacks give you the option to seamlessly integrate your favourite external effects. The send jack doubles as a direct output for the pickups, giving you the option to run the Rhodes Mk8 into another preamp. A handy headphone output is present for silent practice.
In terms of inputs, there are two expression pedal jacks that can be used to control a range of effect settings hands-free, including volume, pan rate, pan depth and wah. There’s also a USB port for installing future firmware updates.
A black and silver version of the Rhodes Mk8 is also available, with a look that harkens back to the old-school models that defined the instrument.
The Rhodes Mk8 electric piano is the most refined iteration of the famed instrument so far. There is nothing in the hardware or software world that compares to a genuine Rhodes piano. These are made in incredibly limited quantities so be sure to pick this one up before it goes!
- Optimising the iconic sound of the Rhodes piano, the MK8 offers considerable improvements in tone, touch, intonation and dynamics. All critical components – including tines, pickups, dampers and pedal mechanism – have been redesigned from the ground up, using only the highest quality materials and the very best in contemporary manufacturing techniques.
- True analogue signal path. Volume, drive, envelope controls. Expression pedal control of volume, mid sweep (wah), pan speed, pan depth. Rhodes custom analogue tri-band (low/mid/high) active equaliser (+/- 15db range). Voltage-controlled, resonant midrange filter. Rhodes custom vari-pan with variable rate/depth. 4 wave shapes and audio-rate modulation.
- Rhodes custom stereo effect processor: VCA compressor, phaser, Bucket brigade chorus, delay. Expression pedal control of phaser speed, chorus speed, delay time, delay feedback.
- 15-Volt, 4-pin locking XLR external supply with universal voltage.
- 73-note (E8-E80) Rhodes custom spruce keyboard by Kluge Klaviaturen GmbH, oak and beech key frame.
- Rhodes custom precision-wound alnico pickups with anti-slip adjustment for accurate voicing and flat-ended pickup heads for accurate volume adjustment.
- Rhodes custom high-impact ABS hammers and combs, quad-zone hard-wearing tips, aerospace-grade damper combs, black natural wool damper felts.
- Rhodes custom precision steel tines and tonebars, sustainably sourced Baltic birch tine and pickup rails.
- 2 x Balanced XLR outputs (L/R), 2 x 1/4” jack Outputs (L/R), 1 x 1/4” jack send (direct pickup output), 1 x 1/4” return.
- 1 x 1/4” headphone jack, independent volume control.
- Standard: Scratch-resistant brushed-aluminium foil. Legend: Black with silver legend or silver with black legend.
- Rhodes custom twist-lock piano connector with flexi-cable. Chrome aluminium footplate. Rhodes folding protective non-slip mat.
- Standard: Black/Silver anodised aluminium.
- USB: Reserved for future firmware updates. 2 x assignable jack expression pedal inputs.
- Rhodes custom telescopic (L/R adjustment) mirror-chrome steel.
- Folds compactly for transport.
- Black ABS, custom colours.
- Lightweight ply case with tolex, aluminium base plate. Solid walnut option.
- 1153 (w) x 563 (d) x 225 (h)
No upgrades available