Roland AX Edge Keytar Synthesizer, Black
Roland AX EDGE Keytar Synthesizer
Here’s What Roland Say:
"There’s no better way to stand out on stage than the Roland AX-Edge. Designed to be deliberately eye-catching, but at the same time easily playable and functional, the AX-Edge is the ultimate performance tool for keyboardists looking to take centre stage.
The AX-Edge is available in two colours; white and a striking all black key design. Both feature a removable Edge Blade panel allowing you to showcase your personality in the synth design. Each Synth comes with an alternative colour option for the Edge blade; the White model includes silver and gold blades, while the black model comes with red and silver blades. As these can be swapped easily, it makes is easy for musicians to customise these panels to their own artistic taste.
The AX-Edge features a 49-note synth action with aftertouch and plenty of additional controls for live performance; ribbon controller, modulation bar, assignable control knob and 7-assignable buttons. Of course, when you’re playing on stage you’ll want to move around, so the AX-Edge can be either powered by rechargeable AA batteries or the included AC adapter.
The AX-Edge has killer sounds to go with its killer looks too. As part of the Zen-Core range of products which includes the Roland Fantom, Jupiter-X/Xm, MC-707/101, RD-88 and Zenology the AX-Edge has Roland’s latest and most powerful sound engine. Combine upto 4 parts plus 1 vocoder at once and choose through over 90 high quality DSP effects to craft your sound. As part of the Zen-Core range, you can download additional sound packs through Roland Cloud, and use your favourite tones from other Zen-Core products. For instance, you could create your sound on the Fantom or Zenology in the studio, then load it into the AX-Edge to play live.
Connect via Bluetooth to wireless send midi to iOS or Android devices, or connect to the AX-Edge dedicated editor app to fully customise its sounds to your heart’s desire.
Overview By GAK
The Roland AX-EDGE Keytar is made for the keyboard play that wants to stand out on stage and take some of the limelight back, after spending years sitting behind a keyboard. The AX-EDGE allows you to stand centre stage and have everyone take notice.
The angular/modern design is extremely eye-catching and features a customisable “Edge Blade”, which can be swapped/painted to display your individuality. The AX-EDGE comes in either White, with either a Silver or Gold “blade” (included) or Black, with all-black keys and both a Red or Silver “blade” (included).
The Roland AX-EDGE is light-weight and extremely mobile, weighing at just 4.2KG. The 49-note synth keyboard action is compatible with aftertouch. There are also plenty of additional controls, quickly accessible for live performance; ribbon controller, modulation bar, assignable control knob and 7-assignable buttons. To keep performance at the front of the player’s focus, the AX-EDGE can be either powered by rechargeable AA batteries or the included AC adapter. The AX-EDGE even comes with a free strap included in the box.
There are basic edits available within the AX-EDGE itself, and you can reassign all of the onboard parameters, including the performance pad, ribbon controller and all the buttons. Each of the controls on the AX-EDGE can also be assigned with the use of the free to download AX-EDGE Editor App. Simply connect the Bluetooth capable technology built within the keytar to connect to your favourite Smart Device and the easy-to-use app will give you access to more sound editing options.
The AX-EDGE doesn’t just look good, it sounds good too. Onboard is a surprisingly powerful synth engine, named Zen-Core, Roland’s latest and most powerful sound engine. The AX-EDGE is part of the Zen-Core range, which includes the Roland Fantom, Jupiter-X/Xm, MC-707/101, RD-88 and Zenology software synth. On the AX-EDGE, you can combine up to 4 parts, plus 1 vocoder part simultaneously, along with choosing between over 90 high-quality DSP effects. As with all instruments within the Zen-Core range, you can download additional sound packs via Roland Cloud and import your favourite tones from other Zen-Core products. For example, you could create a patch on the Fantom at home, edit it further with Zenology on the computer at the studio, then load it into the AX-EDGE to play live. Zen-Core allows users to share all their creative ideas within one cohesive ecosystem.
The Roland AX EDGE Keytar Synthesizer fits perfectly into the Roland CB-BAX Black AX-Edge Keyboard Bag and rests securely onto the Roland ST-AX2 Keytar Stand. These are available to buy as a bundle package with the AX-EDGE too.
For a fully wireless experience, partner the AX-EDGE with a Boss WL-20L Wireless System, Low Impedance (Mono performance only). This will transmit the audio of your AX-EDGE to wherever you plug the transmitter into. This could be a keyboard amplifier, audio mixer (connected to a PA) or even an interface that is connected to a computer.
- 49 full-sized keys with velocity and channel aftertouch
- 4 parts + vocoder with mic Input
- 320 programs and over 500 preset tones for keytarists
- 79 types of part multi-effects and part EQ, 79 types of program multi-effects, chorus, reverb, master compressor, and master EQ
- Tone Remain function switches sounds seamlessly without unnatural sound cutoff
- Ribbon controller, modulation bar, and assignable controls for expressive performance
- Up to 4 hours of battery-powered* operation; can also be powered via AC adaptor
- *Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries only.
- Bluetooth MIDI and editor app for wireless sound customization
- Weighs just 9 lb. 5 oz./4.2 kg (without batteries)
- Available in black and white models with removable Edge Blade for custom look
- One extra Edge Blade included to complement your AX-Edge model
- Audio file playback via external USB memory
- Master MIDI controller functionality for remote operation of sound modules, plug-ins, and more
- Dual display system optimized for live performance
- Optional ST-AX2 stand provides stable support when the instrument is not in use
- Keyboard - 49 keys (with velocity and channel aftertouch)
- Sound Generator - ZEN-Core
- Parts - 4 parts + Vocoder part
- - User Program: 320
- - Preset Tone: Over 500
- - User Tone: 256
- - Part Multi-effects: 90 types
- - Part EQ
- - Vocoder
- - Program Multi-effects (IFX): 90 types
- - Chorus: 9 types
- - Reverb: 7 types
- - Master Compressor
- - Master EQ
- Other Functions
- - Favorite
- - Song Player
- - Arpeggio
- - Vocoder
- - MIDI Master Keyboard
- - Sound Edit
- * You can use the smartphone AX-Edge Editor app (Android version/iOS version) to edit the AX-Edge's sounds.
- - Ribbon Controller
- - Modulation Bar
- - Assignable Control knob
- - Master Volume knob
- - Assignable buttons x 7
- - Pedal
- - Aftertouch
- Bluetooth - MIDI: Bluetooth Ver. 4.1 (Bluetooth LE)
- - 16 characters 2 line LCD
- - (3 x 7) segment LED
- External Storage Device - USB flash drive
- - PHONES jack: stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - OUTPUT jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch phone type
- - MIC INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- - PEDAL jack
- - MIDI connectors (IN, OUT)
- - USB MEMORY port
- - USB COMPUTER port (supports USB MIDI)
- - DC IN jack
- Power Supply - DC 9 V: AC adaptor or rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) (sold separately) x 8
- Current Draw
- - 1,000 mA
- * Battery life for continuous use (differs depending on the conditions of use)
- - Rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries: approximately 4 hours
- * Carbon-zinc or alkaline batteries cannot be used
- - Owner's manual
- - Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
- - AC adaptor
- - Power cord
- - Strap
- - Blade panel (including Hex key, screws)
- - Ferrite core (including Band for fastening the core)
- Options (sold separately)
- - AX-Edge stand (ST-AX2)
- - Pedal switch: DP series
- - Expression pedal: EV-5
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- - Width - 1,252 mm, 49-5/16 inches
- - Depth - 291 mm, 11-1/2 inches
- - Height - 85 mm, 3-3/8 inches
- - Weight (excluding AC adaptor, Batteries) - 4.2 kg, 9 lbs. 5 oz.
Keytars, Love them or Hate them but I think Roland has packed a lot of modern synth into this AX EDGE Keytar. editable via bluetooth on android or ios (though the Roland editing program could have been better it does work but feels like a beta version) it also works as a wireless bluetooth music keyboard for ipad. I like it very much and even though the editing program needs work the actual Keytar deserves full 5 stars.
Excellent, brilliant and very helpful
Owned the Roland Ax and many other keytars in the past, without a doubt this is the best one so far