Roland FA-08 Workstation
Overview By GAK
The Roland FA-08 is the top-of-the-range FA Series Workstation. Unlike the others in the series, the FA-08 is the choice for the piano-centric Keyboard player, as it has an 88 note keybed with fully-weighted keys.
Roland’s PHA-4 action has become a firm favourite of our customers, featuring in the extremely popular FP Range, as well as the RD Series, Juno DS and many other Roland Digital Pianos. The reason it has become so popular is that it strikes a great balance between playing like a high-end acoustic grand piano, without being too heavy and it sits in an affordable price range. The action features Ivory Feel keys, escapement and individually weighted keys, graduating in lightness from left-to-right.
To get the most piano-like experience from your FA-08, you can use the Roland DP 10 Piano Style Sustain Pedal (sold separately), to sustain the notes like an Acoustic Piano. When used with a DP-10, the FA-08 supports Half-Pedalling, which is a technique used by professional pianists.
The SuperNATURAL sound engine partnered with the PHA-4 action allows you to play the more traditional keys sounds with more dynamics and real-life expression. SuperNATURAL powers the Acoustic Piano, E.Piano, Clavinets, Drawbar Organs, Strings, Guitar, Synths and Drums tones, meaning the FA-08 will also play like a high-end Stage Piano.
The FA-08 fits perfectly into the Roland CB-88RL Keyboard Carrying Bag. We have made sure that everything you need for your FA Workstation is available in one click, with our Roland FA Workstation Bundles.
Here’s What Roland Say:
"The Roland FA series have consistently been some of our most popular synthesizers since their launch; whether you are looking for a great sounding and flexible synth to use on stage, an easy to use writing tool, or simply the ideal keyboard to compliment your home studio set up, the FA will definitely meet your needs.
The FA-08 features our PHA-4 piano individually weighted action, with ivory feel keys and escapement. This action features on many of our Digital Pianos and has been reverred as one of the market favourites.
The FA synthesizers feature over 2,000 sounds taken from our Integra-7 sound module. These include many acoustic tones powered by our acclaimed SuperNatural technology including SuperNatural Acoustic and Electric pianos, tonewheel organ (with customisable drawbars), strings and drums.
SuperNatural uses a combination of sampling and modelling techniques to re-create the true behaviour of acoustic instruments for added realism. The FA also features a SuperNatural synth engine allowing you to create incredible synth tones from scratch across 3 partials. You can also load in 2 additional expansion packs of sounds from the Roland Axial website.
For live musicians, the FA allows you to split or layer upto 16 tones at once (each with its own MFX) across the keyboard in a studio set which can be easily recalled in a live situation. The FA also features 16 sample pads (based on the SP-404A) which can trigger one shots or complete backing tracks from an SD card. If you’re not working with samples you can reconfigure the pads to operate a number of useful functions within the synth instead.
The FA features a 16-track linear midi sequencer, allowing you to create your own custom songs using the sounds in your studio set (or even sent externally to trigger other midi instruments). This can be exported as a multi-track WAV file to use within your DAW if you wish. Further to this, the FA can be used as an audio interface with your computer over USB, and it also features great DAW Midi control, with pre-made maps for Ableton, Cubase, Logic Pro and Sonar.
For customers looking for features similar to the FA, but in a more professional package check out the Roland Fantom range. Alternatively, if you are looking for something on a smaller budget take a look at the Roland Juno-DS series of synths.
- Reimagined music workstation designed to maximise your creative flow
- 88-note Ivory Feel-G Keyboard provides premium weighted-action performance in a lightweight design that's easy to transport
- Over 2000 sounds from the flagship INTEGRA-7 sound module, including
- SuperNATURAL synth and acoustic tones and drums; add even more tones via internal wave sound expansion slots
- SuperNATURAL synth engine is fully compatible with the expansive collection of free INTEGRA-7 synth tones available from Roland's Axial sound library site
- 16-track sequencer with non-stop loop recording makes it easy to build songs quickly; export your sequencer tracks to an SDHC card as a complete stereo mix, or as multitrack audio or MIDI data for use in your DAW
- Onboard sampler based on the SP-404SX features 16 pads x 4 banks and direct recording/playback via SDHC cards
- Polish your sounds with a multitude of studio-quality effects, including 16 independent MFX engines, six COMP EQ processors for drums, unique TFX(total effects), and global EQ, chorus, and reverb
- Tweak tones, effects, and external MIDI devices in real time with sixuser-assignable Sound Modify knobs
- Intuitive, streamlined interface with large colour LCD
- Press one button to instantly configure the FA-08 for use with your DAW via USB
- D-Beam, Rhythm Pattern, Arpeggiator, and Chord Memory functions to expand your creative palette
- Guitar/Mic and Line input jacks for performing, sampling, and DAW audio recording; dedicated input reverb provides ambience for performing/recording
- USB ports for sound expansion data, updates, and audio/MIDI interfacing with a computer; MIDI communication with the iPad is possible when using Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit
- Keyboard - 88 keys (Ivory Feel-G Keyboard with Escapement)
- SOUND GENERATOR SECTION
- Maximum Polyphony - 128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)
- Parts - 16 parts
- - SuperNATURAL Acoustic
- - SuperNATURAL Synth
- - SuperNATURAL Drum Kit
- - PCM Synth
- - PCM Drum Kit
- * GM2 compatible sounds are included.
- Wave Expansion Slots
- - 2 slots
- * The wave expansion slots are rewritable internal waveform memory. You can download data from the Axial sound library site and write it via a USB flash drive into the FA's internal wave memory (slot).
- Favorite - Yes
- - Multi-Effects: 16 systems, 68 types (Vocoder can be used only on part 1.)
- - Part EQ: 16 systems
- - Drum Part COMP+EQ: 6 systems
- - Chorus: 3 types
- - Reverb: 6 types
- - Master Compressor (This can be changed to Insert FX (78 types).)
- - Master EQ
- - Total Effects (TFX): 29 types
- - Mic Input Reverb: 8 types
- MIDI Tracks - 16
- File format - Original, SMF export/import supported, WAV export supported
- * Sampler trigger data can be recorded.
- Format - 16-bit linear, 44.1 kHz, WAV/AIFF/MP3 import supported
- Maximum Polyphony - 8
- Number of Samples - 16 Pads x 4 Banks (for each song)
- * Samples cannot be used as wave data for the sound engine.
- Rhythm Pattern - Yes
- Arpeggio - Yes
- Chord Memory - Yes
- - D-BEAM Controller
- - Pitch Bend/Modulation Lever
- - Assignable Switch x 2 (S1/S2)
- - Control Knob x 6
- - Sample Pad
- - Tempo Knob
- Display - 5-inch Graphic Color LCD
- External Memory - SD Card (SDHC supported)
- - Headphones Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - MAIN Output Jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- - Sub Output Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - AUDIO INPUT Jacks
- - LINE: Stereo miniature phone type
- - GUITAR/MIC: 1/4-inch phone type
- - FOOT PEDAL Jacks (CTRL 1, CTRL 2, HOLD)
- - MIDI Connectors (IN, OUT)
- - USB FOR UPDATE Port
- - USB COMPUTER Port (USB Hi-Speed AUDIO/MIDI)
- * (Use a USB cable and a computer with a USB port that support USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.)
- - DC IN Jack
- Power Supply - AC Adaptor (PSB-1u)
- Current draw - 1,300 mA
- - Quick Start
- - Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
- - SD Card (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
- - SD Card Protector (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
- - AC Adaptor
- - Power Cord
- - Options (sold separately)
- - Keyboard Stand (*1): KS-G8, KS-G8B, KS-18Z, KS-12, KS-J8
- - Pedal Switch: DP series
- - Expression Pedal: EV-5
- - USB Flash Memory (*2)
- - Wireless USB Adapter: WNA1100-RL
- *1 When using the KS-18Z and KS-J8, ensure that the height of the unit is one meter or lower.
- *2 Use USB Flash Memory (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Flash Memory) sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- Width - 1415 mm 55-3/4 inches
- Depth - 340 mm 13-7/16 inches
- Height - 142 mm 5-10/16 inches
- Weight - 16.5 kg 36 lbs. 7 oz.
Awesome! Great feel and functionality.
Fantastic feel and quality, Everything on board to create.
The Roland FA-08 is a really great keyboard. The sound is amazing with some wonderful tones. The drums are great.
I upgraded to a Roland FA-08 from an XP-30 and I'm delighted with it. The sounds are awesome and it has so many functions I haven't even begun to explore yet. The other main reasons I got it were for the full 88-key range and the ivory-feel weighted keys which are awesome.