Roland FA-08 Workstation
Roland FA-08 Workstation
Here’s What Roland Say:
"The Roland FA series have consistently been some of our most popular synthesizers since their launch; whether you are looking for a great sounding and flexible synth to use on stage, an easy to use writing tool, or simply the ideal keyboard to compliment your home studio set up, the FA will definitely meet your needs.
The FA is available in 3 models; the FA-06 is lightweight 61-note synth action keyboard, the FA-07 features a superb feeling 76-note semi-weighted key action, and finally the FA-08 features our PHA-4 piano action keys with ivory feel and escapement.
The FA synthesizers feature over 2,000 sounds taken from our Integra-7 sound module. These include many acoustic tones powered by our acclaimed SuperNatural technology including SuperNatural Acoustic and Electric pianos, tonewheel organ (with customisable drawbars), strings and drums.
SuperNatural uses a combination of sampling and modelling techniques to re-create the true behaviour of acoustic instruments for added realism. The FA also features a SuperNatural synth engine allowing you to create incredible synth tones from scratch across 3 partials. You can also load in 2 additional expansion packs of sounds from the Roland Axial website.
For live musicians, the FA allows you to split or layer upto 16 tones at once (each with its own MFX) across the keyboard in a studio set which can be easily recalled in a live situation. The FA also features 16 sample pads (based on the SP-404A) which can trigger one shots or complete backing tracks from an SD card. If you’re not working with samples you can reconfigure the pads to operate a number of useful functions within the synth instead.
The FA features a 16-track linear midi sequencer, allowing you to create your own custom songs using the sounds in your studio set (or even sent externally to trigger other midi instruments). This can be exported as a multi-track WAV file to use within your DAW if you wish. Further to this, the FA can be used as an audio interface with your computer over USB, and it also features great DAW Midi control, with pre-made maps for Ableton, Cubase, Logic Pro and Sonar.
For customers looking for features similar to the FA, but in a more professional package check out the Roland Fantom range. Alternatively, if you are looking for something on a smaller budget take a look at the Roland Juno-DS series of synths.
Overview By GAK
The FA Range is the mid-tier level of Roland’s Workstation Keyboards. It sits above the Juno-DS and just under the Roland Fantom ranges. Roland have a huge history in making Workstations, which is thanks to the Fantom’s pedigree and success with professional Keyboard Players/Producers.
The FA comes in three different sizes; the FA-08, a full-sized fully weighted 88 note keyboard, with a graduated action that boasts ebony/ivory feel keys, the FA-07, which has a semi-weighted 76 note keybed and the FA-06, which is a 61 key version that’s easy to lug around/use as a secondary-tier keyboard. The FA-06 is also available in a limited edition version, with an all-black finish.
The FA Series all have the same panel, meaning that whether you want 88, 76 or 61 keys, you do not lose out on any capabilities from the FA. The LCD Screen is beautifully clear and the onboard parameters give you super-fast access to the most helpful edits.
The Sequencer is able to programme 16 simultaneous MIDI parts, as well as the option to stack/layer an entire 16 part studio set across the keybed, giving you the ability to build orchestral ensembles, split instrumental sections for each octave and create the most expansive layers imaginable. Each of the 16 individual parts can have independent effects and tonal edits too.
The Sampler features a 16 pad sampler, which is based on the SP-404A. You can trigger one-shot samples, like drum hits/vocal cuts or play complete audio backing tracks from an SD card. The 16 pad buttons can also be completely reassigned to make quicker/more useful controls on the keyboard.
The Sound Library available within the FA Series is absolutely massive, with nearly 2000 tones (which can be **expanded with the use of Roland Axial**). The sounds available have been lifted from the Integra-7, which has some of the most realistic and dynamic SuperNATURAL sounds that Roland have made. It covers everything from Acoustic Pianos, E.Pianos, Organs, Strings, Guitars, Bass, Drums and Synthesizers. There is also an extensive amount of additional PCM sounds, spanning from Brass, Woodwind, Orchestral, Sound FX and all categories.
The FA Range seamlessly integrates with your studio setup, as it has a built-in 16 Channel Audio/MIDI USB Interface, as well as a dedicated DAW Control Mode. DAW Control allows you to manipulate essential parameters on your DAW, as well as the Transport Controls. The FA Series comes pre-mapped for Ableton, Logic, Cubase and Sonar. You can also load in your own maps, should you use an alternative programme. If you want to sync to external hardware, the FA Workstations have MIDI IN/OUT, meaning the FA can control your favourite synths, keyboards and other MIDI-enabled gear.
To get the most from your FA Workstation, you can use the Roland DP 10 Piano Style Sustain Pedal (sold separately), to sustain the notes like an Acoustic Piano. The FA-08 fits perfectly into the Roland CB-88RL Keyboard Carrying Bag, whereas the FA-07 fits in the Roland CB-B76 Black 76-Note Keyboard Bag and the FA-06 slots into the Roland CB-B61 Black 61-Note Keyboard Bag. We have made sure that everything you need for your FA Workstation is available in one click, with our Roland FA Workstation Bundles.
For users that require a more extensive/editable synth engine, a more powerful sequencer, higher quality sounds/effects, integration with Zen-Core and Mainstage, check out the Roland Fantom Range.
Overview By Roland
Taking the “work” out of the music workstation.
Roland’s FA series completely reimagines the music workstation, streamlining it for effortless real-time power, ultra-fast workflow, and maximum versatility. Each model in the series features a massive sound collection, studio-quality effects, and expressive real-time controls, plus onboard sampling with zero load time for instant playback from 16 pads. An integrated sequencer offers simple operation and non-stop loop recording, and you can easily export tracks for further development with your DAW. Available models include the 61-note FA-06 and 76-note FA-07, which both feature velocity-sensitive keyboards with synth action, and the FA-08, which features an 88-note keyboard with weighted action.
No work, all play.
Music workstations play an important role for keyboardists in a wide range of creative activities. However, they can often be complicated and difficult to use to their full potential, bogging down the creative process. In developing the FA series, Roland has completely reimagined the music workstation to let your inspiration flow, allowing you to perform on stage and develop musical ideas with less effort than ever before.
Perform and record with a massive selection of Roland’s very best sounds.
Packed with over 2000 tones inherited from the INTEGRA-7, Roland’s flagship pro sound module, the FA series offers a huge palette of high-quality sounds for virtually any musical style. All of the INTEGRA-7’s SuperNATURAL synth and XV-5080 PCM tones are on board, plus an essential collection of expressive SuperNATURAL acoustic tones that include pianos, organs, bass, strings, and many others. And with the newly added Tone Remain function, you can switch sounds seamlessly with no notes or effect tails being unnaturally cut off.
Expand your sound collection with free downloads from Roland’s Axial sound library site.
The FA sound engine is fully compatible with the large, growing collection of INTEGRA-7 synth patches available as free downloads from Roland’s Axial sound library site. It’s even possible to expand the onboard sound set with free wave sound expansion collections, which you can also get at the Axial site.
Capture ideas and create songs without interruption.
The FA series’ intuitive 16-track sequencer has been designed to let you capture your inspiration as it happens. In a flash, you can build a full arrangement with the instrument’s huge array of sounds. And with continuous recording in loop mode, you’re able to fill up all 16 tracks without ever stopping! In addition to real-time capture, step recording is also possible, and you have complete control to edit and mix your tracks as you go and save songs as stereo audio files to an SDHC card.
Enhance your sounds with a wide range of simultaneous effects.
The FA series provides numerous options for polishing your sounds and sequencer tracks to studio-level perfection. Independent MFX engines are available for all 16 parts of a studio set, and with the unique TFX (total effects), you can process the entire output with dramatic effects such as DJ FX Looper, Isolator, and others. All the effects can be tweaked with the Sound Modify knobs to add real-time expression to your performances and productions.
Fast workflow and intuitive real-time control.
You can feel the speed of this new breed of instrument the moment you hit the power switch—unlike many workstations that can take a minute or more to boot, the FA series is ready to play in seconds. The panel is logically organized into dedicated sections, and the large color LCD presents a gorgeous look with inviting hi-res graphics for selecting tones, working with the sequencer, and adjusting various settings. And it’s a breeze to navigate through the large sound selection by category and assign your favorites for fast recall.
An instant-access performance sampler at your fingers.
The sampler in the FA series features fast, hands-on operation and sampling/playback via convenient SDHC cards. You can play audio samples directly from the 16 pads on the front panel, making it easy to expand your performances with loops, backing tracks, one-shots, vocal phrases, sound FX, and more. And thanks to SDHC flash memory, your samples load instantly, with no wait time at all.
Studio sets enhanced for master rig control.
In the FA series, a studio set stores 16 tones and the various parameters associated with them, including level, pan, effects, and more. Now, master control functionality has been added to studio sets, enabling you to use the FA as a master controller for a large studio or live rig. You can save MIDI messages like bank select, program change, volume, and many others. This info is sent out via MIDI when you select the studio set, letting you reconfigure the FA and multiple external devices with one command.
Seamless DAW integration.
In addition to its impressive standalone performance, the FA series easily transitions into any DAW environment. With a press of the DAW Control button, you can instantly set up the keyboard to communicate with your software via USB.* Dedicated control maps for popular DAWs provide quick setup for operating transport functions and other parameters in your software. In addition, you can use the FA as a USB audio interface to record a variety sources directly into your DAW and monitor them through the stereo output and headphones jack. A free license for Ableton Live Lite is now included with every FA keyboard, enabling you to pair up your instrument with a powerful DAW right away.
*USB communication requires installation of the FA-series USB driver on your computer.
Find the best FA for you.
With the three different models in the FA series, you can choose the best match for your style and needs. While the three models feature the same sounds, interface, and controls, each one comes equipped with its own unique keyboard configuration.
If you’re serious about piano sounds, the FA-08 is the perfect choice. Its 88-note, weighted-action Ivory Feel-G keyboard is ideally suited for pulling every expressive nuance from the authentic onboard acoustic and electric pianos.
If you need to command a complex keyboard setup with multiple splits or zones, the 76-note FA-07 and its semi-weighted, velocity-sensitive keyboard is a great option.
Do you have limited space in your studio, or need to transport your keyboard to gigs and recording sessions often? If so, the mobile FA-06 and its 61-note velocity-sensitive keyboard is a smart choice.
- Reimagined music workstation designed to maximise your creative flow
- 88-note Ivory Feel-G Keyboard provides premium weighted-action performance in a lightweight design that's easy to transport
- Over 2000 sounds from the flagship INTEGRA-7 sound module, including
- SuperNATURAL synth and acoustic tones and drums; add even more tones via internal wave sound expansion slots
- SuperNATURAL synth engine is fully compatible with the expansive collection of free INTEGRA-7 synth tones available from Roland's Axial sound library site
- 16-track sequencer with non-stop loop recording makes it easy to build songs quickly; export your sequencer tracks to an SDHC card as a complete stereo mix, or as multitrack audio or MIDI data for use in your DAW
- Onboard sampler based on the SP-404SX features 16 pads x 4 banks and direct recording/playback via SDHC cards
- Polish your sounds with a multitude of studio-quality effects, including 16 independent MFX engines, six COMP EQ processors for drums, unique TFX(total effects), and global EQ, chorus, and reverb
- Tweak tones, effects, and external MIDI devices in real time with sixuser-assignable Sound Modify knobs
- Intuitive, streamlined interface with large colour LCD
- Press one button to instantly configure the FA-08 for use with your DAW via USB
- D-Beam, Rhythm Pattern, Arpeggiator, and Chord Memory functions to expand your creative palette
- Guitar/Mic and Line input jacks for performing, sampling, and DAW audio recording; dedicated input reverb provides ambience for performing/recording
- USB ports for sound expansion data, updates, and audio/MIDI interfacing with a computer; MIDI communication with the iPad is possible when using Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit
- Keyboard - 88 keys (Ivory Feel-G Keyboard with Escapement)
- SOUND GENERATOR SECTION
- Maximum Polyphony - 128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)
- Parts - 16 parts
- - SuperNATURAL Acoustic
- - SuperNATURAL Synth
- - SuperNATURAL Drum Kit
- - PCM Synth
- - PCM Drum Kit
- * GM2 compatible sounds are included.
- Wave Expansion Slots
- - 2 slots
- * The wave expansion slots are rewritable internal waveform memory. You can download data from the Axial sound library site and write it via a USB flash drive into the FA's internal wave memory (slot).
- Favorite - Yes
- - Multi-Effects: 16 systems, 68 types (Vocoder can be used only on part 1.)
- - Part EQ: 16 systems
- - Drum Part COMP+EQ: 6 systems
- - Chorus: 3 types
- - Reverb: 6 types
- - Master Compressor (This can be changed to Insert FX (78 types).)
- - Master EQ
- - Total Effects (TFX): 29 types
- - Mic Input Reverb: 8 types
- MIDI Tracks - 16
- File format - Original, SMF export/import supported, WAV export supported
- * Sampler trigger data can be recorded.
- Format - 16-bit linear, 44.1 kHz, WAV/AIFF/MP3 import supported
- Maximum Polyphony - 8
- Number of Samples - 16 Pads x 4 Banks (for each song)
- * Samples cannot be used as wave data for the sound engine.
- Rhythm Pattern - Yes
- Arpeggio - Yes
- Chord Memory - Yes
- - D-BEAM Controller
- - Pitch Bend/Modulation Lever
- - Assignable Switch x 2 (S1/S2)
- - Control Knob x 6
- - Sample Pad
- - Tempo Knob
- Display - 5-inch Graphic Color LCD
- External Memory - SD Card (SDHC supported)
- - Headphones Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - MAIN Output Jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- - Sub Output Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- - AUDIO INPUT Jacks
- - LINE: Stereo miniature phone type
- - GUITAR/MIC: 1/4-inch phone type
- - FOOT PEDAL Jacks (CTRL 1, CTRL 2, HOLD)
- - MIDI Connectors (IN, OUT)
- - USB FOR UPDATE Port
- - USB COMPUTER Port (USB Hi-Speed AUDIO/MIDI)
- * (Use a USB cable and a computer with a USB port that support USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.)
- - DC IN Jack
- Power Supply - AC Adaptor (PSB-1u)
- Current draw - 1,300 mA
- - Quick Start
- - Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
- - SD Card (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
- - SD Card Protector (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
- - AC Adaptor
- - Power Cord
- - Options (sold separately)
- - Keyboard Stand (*1): KS-G8, KS-G8B, KS-18Z, KS-12, KS-J8
- - Pedal Switch: DP series
- - Expression Pedal: EV-5
- - USB Flash Memory (*2)
- - Wireless USB Adapter: WNA1100-RL
- *1 When using the KS-18Z and KS-J8, ensure that the height of the unit is one meter or lower.
- *2 Use USB Flash Memory (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Flash Memory) sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- Width - 1415 mm 55-3/4 inches
- Depth - 340 mm 13-7/16 inches
- Height - 142 mm 5-10/16 inches
- Weight - 16.5 kg 36 lbs. 7 oz.
Fantastic feel and quality, Everything on board to create.
The Roland FA-08 is a really great keyboard. The sound is amazing with some wonderful tones. The drums are great.
I upgraded to a Roland FA-08 from an XP-30 and I'm delighted with it. The sounds are awesome and it has so many functions I haven't even begun to explore yet. The other main reasons I got it were for the full 88-key range and the ivory-feel weighted keys which are awesome.