Roland SP-404MKII Creative Sampler
Roland SP-404MKII Creative Sampler and Effector
Streamlined beatmaking machine for production/performance and the most powerful Roland SP Sampler ever.
Overview By GAK
The SP-404MKII is the latest, and most powerful, addition to Roland’s highly acclaimed range of Performance Samplers. Roland SP Samplers are celebrated for their ability to create rapid-fire beats on the fly, with many of Roland’s iconic synth/drum sounds included.
After years of development, Roland has taken on board feedback from users and artists alike to help make the SP-404MKII the ultimate SP Sampler ever. The SP-404MKII features 17 new ultra-expressive pads, updated knobs for smooth hands-on control, expanded effects and a vivid OLED display.
Previous users of the older SP Samplers will love the faster workflow, with the SP-404MKII offering quicker startup and memory loading times than any other Roland Sampler to have gone before. You’ll also find 16GB storage, rapid sample editing and a compact, ultra-lightweight design (2.7 lb./1.1 kg) with versatile power options: USB-C, mobile battery (via USB-C port), six AA batteries or AC adaptor (included).
As well as feeling right at home with the intuitive layout and classic SP effects, Roland has revamped the workflow of both the sampler and sequencer for easier beat-making. You’ll now find Skip Back Sampling for quick performance capture, DJ mode to mix beats live, and a massive library of authentic sounds to inspire your music.
The SP-404MKII features a substantial upgrade to the screen, now sporting a Graphic OLED display. You can use this to view waveforms to help with editing, gain full access to the menus for quicker navigation and much more. As an SP Sampler is made to be used during live performances, the screen is backlit, so it’s easy to see in low, moody stage lighting!
Ultra-Expressive Pads, Plus Dynamics!
The 17 RGB Pads and control knobs that feature on the SP-404MKII have had a huge upgrade compared to previous models. They feature a “no-click” design, making for the smoothest playability and hands-on control yet.
17 pads, you ask?! The SP-404MKII features the usual 16 performance pads you would expect to find on a top-spec sampler, but Roland have snuck on an additional Sub Pad. Use the Sub Pad to control velocity, so you can add an even more human feel to your beats. The SP-404MKII also has 32 note polyphony, meaning it’s able to handle performances from even the most advanced users.
Each project on the SP-404MKII has a pattern sequencer able to cope with a maximum of 64 bars. You can also max use of any of the 144 pre-loaded high-quality, professionally recorded samples and patterns. That being said, a sampler is for the creatives and encourages you to use your own samples.
All about effects.
Process, flip, and twist your sounds with legendary SP effects and a selection of new classics. SP staples like Vinyl Simulator and DJFX Looper are now joined with powerful additions that include Lo-fi, Cassette Simulator, and Resonator. Layer and route multiple simultaneous bus effects for intricate sound textures, or plug into the mic/guitar input and jam with ready-to-go Vocoder, Auto Pitch, and Guitar Amp Simulator effects.
The SP-404MKII gives you the flexibility to create patterns with a unique feel and energy. There’s adjustable input quantize and shuffle for custom swing, Pad-Link for firing off multiple samples with a single tap, a Roll button for variable note repeat, and BPM-per-bank for instant tempo changes. It’s also possible to organize patterns for different sets and chain them together to automate playback. With your hands freed up, you can stretch out on the SP effects controls or let rip on your favourite synth.
Dive into beat making with the pre-loaded sounds in the SP-404MKII’s blazing-fast 16 GB of internal memory. There’s a huge collection of curated samples to choose from and plenty of room to augment them with your private sound stash. And you can now load even more sounds at once, with 160 samples across each project for expanded performance and beatmaking combinations.
Break beats. Not banks.
You shouldn’t need to take out a bank loan to make beats or produce tracks. The SP-404MKII is more powerful and more affordable than ever, making it easy to add its rapid workflow and characteristic sound to your existing setup. And with all it can do, the SP-404MKII may be the only piece you need for production and performance.
You work hard to be a unique artist—so why play on cookie-cutter gear that looks like everyone else’s? Personalize your SP-404MKII with your own style or branding for a look that’s as distinctive as your sound. Grab the faceplate template to create custom overlays, style your startup screen with personalized logos, or select a screensaver that matches your vibe.
SP-404MKII App, Sample Packs, and more on Roland Cloud.
Download the SP-404MKII App from Roland Cloud Manager to go even deeper with your Mac or Windows computer. Access more detailed waveform editing, assign samples to pads, and import MIDI files and legacy SP-404SX and SP-404A projects for remixing and updating. And while you’re there, check out our exclusive Beatmaker Sample Pack series for more sonic material from legendary sound designers and musicians to inspire your next production.
- Vivid OLED display for visual waveform editing, full menu access, and more
- 17 velocity-sensitive, RGB pads with no-click design for smooth playability
- Faster workflow with quick startup and load times, 16 GB internal storage, low-latency pads, and rapid sample editing
- Compact, ultra-lightweight design (2.7 lb./1.1 kg) with versatile power options: USB-C, mobile battery (via USB-C port), six AA batteries, or AC adaptor
- Extensive onboard effects, including SP classics like Vinyl Simulator and DJFX Looper, new Lo-fi, Cassette Simulator, and Resonator effects, and dedicated Vocoder, Auto Pitch, and Guitar Amp Simulator effects for the mic/guitar input
- 32-voice polyphony, 160 samples per project, and 16 internal projects for expanded programming possibilities
- Blazing onboard sample editing with real-time or auto-chop mode, auto BPM detect, envelope, pitch shift, and resampling for layering sounds and phrases
- Pre-loaded sound library with 144 high-quality, professionally recorded samples and patterns
- Extensive customization options with removable metal faceplate, downloadable outline template, multiple screensavers, and personalized startup logos
- Upgraded I/O includes 1/4-inch line in/out, 1/4-inch mic/guitar input, 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch headphones outputs, and 1/8-inch TRS MIDI in/out
- New resampling workflow for re-recording with various effects for detailed sound design
- Audio capture and streaming supported with mobile devices and computers via USB-C*
- Skip Back Sampling to automatically capture up to 25 seconds of audio from your last performance
- Bus FX for layering multiple effects, with customizable routing for creating intricate sound textures
- Adjustable quantization and shuffle percentage across multiple note resolutions to customize swing
- Pattern sequencer with the ability to create full songs with BPM per bank, ideal for running backing tracks or programming performances
- Chain patterns for automatic playback and use Pad Link to trigger up to four samples with a single press
- DJ Mode enables new approaches to live performance by manipulating and mixing two separate audio files
- SP-404MKII editor software for Mac and Windows provides direct sample access, detailed waveform editing, sample management, pad assignment, and import of MIDI files and legacy SP-404SX and SP-404A projects
- *A supported iOS mobile device with a Lightning connector can be connected to the SP-404MKII via USB-C using the appropriate Apple adaptor cable. The SP-404MKII must be powered with an optional PSD AC adaptor (included) or 6X AA batteries (not included) in this circumstance. See the SP-404MKII Reference Manual for more USB-C connection info.
- SP-404MKII – Specifications
- Maximum Polyphony –
- 32 voices
- Recordable Data –
- Samples = 2,560 (16 samples x 10 banks x 16 projects, stored in internal storage)
- Patterns = 2,560 (16 patterns x 10 banks x 16 projects, stored in internal storage)
- Internal storage –
- Size: 16 GB
- *Including preload data
- Maximum sampling time –
- 16 minutes (approximately 176 MB per sample)
- Skip Back Sampling –
- 20 seconds (capturing the last moments of performance)
- Data format –
- 16-bit linear WAV, AIFF, MP3 import supported
- *SP-404MK2APP supports WAV, AIFF, MP3, FLAC, M4A.
- Sampling frequency –
- Pattern Sequencer –
- Resolution = 480 ticks, quarter note
- Pattern length = 1 to 64 bars
- Recording method = Realtime Loop Recording
- Effects –
- Multi-effects: 37 types
- Input effects: 2 types
- Pad –
- 16 pads + 1 sub pad (Velocity-sensitive pad)
- Controller –
- Control knobs x 3
- Display –
- Graphic OLED display
- External Storage –
- SD card (sold separately) for backup, restore, import, and export functions (SDHC compatible)
- Connection terminals –
- PHONES jacks: 1/4-inch phone type, Stereo miniature phone type
- LINE OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (impedance balanced)
- LINE IN (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
- MIC/GUITAR IN jacks: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (for MIC), 1/4-inch phone type (for GUITAR)
- MIDI (IN, OUT) jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- USB terminal: USB Type-C (Audio, MIDI)
- DC IN terminal
- Power Supply –
- AC adaptor
- USB bus power supply (USB Type-C port, 1.5 A ormore)
- Ni-MH batteries (AA, HR6)(sold separately) x 6
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6)(sold separately) x 6
- Current Draw –
- 1,100 mA (AC adaptor)
- 1,500 mA (USB bus power)
- Expected battery life under continuous use –
- Alkaline battery: Approx. 2.5 hours
- Ni-MH battery: Approx. 3.5 hours
- *This can vary depending on the specifications of the batteries, capacity of the batteries, and the conditions of use.
- External dimensions –
- 177.5 (W) x 275.8 (D) x 70.5 (H) mm7 (W) x 10-7/8 (D) x 2-13/16 (H) inches
- Weight (excluding AC adaptor) –
- 1.1 kg
- 2 lbs 7 oz
- Accessories –
- Quick start
- "Read Me First" leaflet
- Roland User Registration Card
- AC adaptor
- Warranty card
- Options (sold separately) –
- TRS/MIDI connecting cable: BMIDI-5-35
No upgrades available