Roland SPD-SX Special Edition Sampling Pad
Roland SPD-SX Special Edition Sampling Pad
"The Roland SPD-SX has become an essential weapon in a modern drummer's arsenal. It's the industry standard sample pad used by the biggest names in drums. You can use it to run backing tracks whilst monitoring the click track, load in your own sounds to perform live, trigger external sounds via MIDI, assign effects live and expand the setup with external Roland Triggers. As the sample pad has had such a wide range of use, the support and information available far outweighs the competition. The Special Edition goes even further. You have a whopping 16GB of memory, Ableton Live Lite and it stands out on stage with its beautiful Red Sparkly finish! The SPD-SX Special Edition comes with a 3 year warranty, and lifetime tech support with myself." GAK's Roland Product Specialist, James Purvis.
Overview By GAK
The Roland SPD-SX Special Edition is the industry standard Sample Pad for all pro musicians. It has become the most recognised electronic tool to trigger live samples, backing tracks and controling external software on the market. it is renowned for its reliabilty, durability and ease of use.
The SPD-SX is equipped with nine ultra sensitive rubber pads, two real-time control knobs as well as four effects buttons. You can connect two dual or four single triggers to expand your kit, plus is compatibable with nearly all Roland Triggers.
The large backlit LCD makes it easy to navigate through the different menus and samples. Use this screen to view the waveforms of the samples you are creating, editing or manipulating in real time. You can also create Set Lists and Kit Chains, which all have patch remain, so that all your live performances run smoothly without drop outs. This is controllable by an external footwitch, giving you hands free operation. We suggest the Boss FS-6.
With an internal memory of 16 GB, you can store approximently 25 hours in stereo (50 hour in mono) or 10,000 files. The included SPD-SX Wave Manager software app lets you import audio files directly from computer via USB. You can also store numerous different backup versions, so you can quickly swap in/out the samples you need for your different uses. You can do exactly the with just a USB Flash Drive too.
The SPD-SX can seemlessly integrate into your studio setup as it has it's own built in USB Audio/MIDI interface, meaning you can record, sample or trigger software sounds. There's even an Audio Input, allowing to sample direct onto the unit without a computer. The Special Edition also gives you a free copy of Ableton Live Lite.
Make sure you have everything you need to get the most out of your SPD-SX by checking out the Roland Hybrid Setup Bundle.
Users that need to trigger less files and a smaller footprint, checkout the SPD::One Wav Pad.Powerful Features for Pro Drummers and Percussionists
The SPD-SX Special Edition was designed for professional musicians who need increased capacity and capability. The 16 GB internal memory allows you to store up to 50 hours of 16-bit/44.1 kHz mono audio (maximum 10,000 files), so you’re able to carry your entire sample library inside the unit, with no external memory required. In addition to the master outputs, sub outputs are available for monitoring or sending individual pads to separate channels on the mixing desk. You can also route the internal click through the phones output only, and easily control it with the dedicated volume knob and start/stop button. It’s even possible to route individual pads through the phones output as well. And if you want a larger setup, up to four extra pads can be connected.*
*Two 1/4-inch stereo external trigger inputs support connecting up to four pads using stereo-to-dual mono splitter cables.
Ableton Live Lite included
Ableton’s Live software is the go-to choice for musicians who demand control of their own music production. The SPD-SX Special Edition includes a license for Ableton Live Lite, giving you the power to produce your own original samples and even use the SPD-SX Special Edition as a pad controller for Ableton. You can also stream audio from Ableton Live Lite through the pad and tweak the sound with the onboard master effects on the SPD-SX Special Edition. A single USB cable is required for connecting to your computer.
Capture Your Inspiration with Multi-Pad Sampling
A powerful-yet-intuitive lineup of features has been built into the SPD-SX Special Edition, including Multi-Pad Sampling. While audio streams in from an external audio player or computer via the Audio In or USB jacks, simply strike each pad at the appropriate start/end points and the sample will be automatically truncated and assigned to that pad. This logical sampling process is a fast, friendly way to create multi-sampled phrases and pad maps, making it simple to capture those moments of inspiration with no hassle.
Enhance Your Live Performances with Real-Time Effects
The SPD-SX Special Edition is equipped with three powerful multi-effects engines: one master processor and two that are assignable per kit. With the master effects, you can perform in real time like a DJ might, using the dedicated front-panel controls. Get your hands on the filter, delay, short looper, and user-assignable effect, and creatively adjust them with the four buttons and two control knobs. And by connecting the SPD-SX Special Edition to your computer, it’s even possible to add more effects to your samples with Ableton Live Lite’s plug-ins.
Everything You Need to Maximize Your Sampling and Music Production Sessions
Integrating your computer with the SPD-SX Special Edition via USB forms an amazingly flexible production and performance setup. Sounds played on your computer can be sampled on the SPD-SX Special Edition, and sounds played on the pads can be recorded into your computer. You can capture sounds from Ableton Live Lite, a web browser, or a computer-based media player directly into the sampling pad, giving you lots of flexibility and versatility when preparing your sounds for live performances.
Via the SPD-SX Special Edition’s USB memory port, you can directly import audio files from USB flash memory and assign them to pads. The process of importing and assigning samples is made even simpler using the SPD-SX Wave Manager software. You can import audio files directly from the computer to the SPD-SX Special Edition, assign a sample to a pad, and easily organize thousands of samples in your library. And thanks to its super-fast triggering and low latency, the SPD-SX Special Edition is a fantastic MIDI pad controller for any DAW, including Ableton Live Lite.
- 16 GB internal memory supports up to 50 hours of mono sample storage, eliminating the need to carry additional external memory
- Ableton Live Lite license included for sophisticated sample creation
- Sparkling Red finish for a distinctive look on the stage
- Nine easy-to-play, velocity-sensitive rubber pads with LED illumination for dark stages
- Multi-Pad Sampling allows you to sample directly into the SPD-SX—simply choose a pad, and then strike it to start sampling
- Three onboard multi-effects processors (master effect and two kit effects) for powerful real-time sound processing while performing
- Easily import, assign, and organise samples by connecting to your computer via USB and using the included Wave Manager software
- - Built-in Pads: 9 (with LED Indicators)
- * Two external trigger inputs are provided, allowing you to connect up to four Pads.
- Maximum Polyphony
- - 20 voices
- * Maximum polyphony becomes 16 voices according as an operating state.
- Number of Recordable Wave Data
- - 10,000
- * Including preload wave data.
- Sampling Time (Total time for all wave data)
- - Approx. 25 hour in stereo (50 hour in mono)
- * Since the internal memory included with the SPD-SX Special Edition contains preload data, the available sampling time will be less than the time above.
- Data Format
- - 16-bit linear PCM (WAV/AIFF)
- Sampling Frequency
- - 44.1 kHz
- - 100
- Kit Chain
- - 8 chains (20 steps per chain)
- - Master Effects (21 Types)
- - Equalizer
- - Kit Effect 1 (20 Types)
- - Kit Effect 2 (20 Types)
- - Graphic LCD 128 x 64 dots
- - PHONES jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
- - MASTER OUT jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4-inch phone type)
- - SUB OUT jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4-inch phone type)
- - AUDIO IN jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4-inch phone type) (with LINE-MIC GAIN control)
- - TRIG IN jacks (1/2, 3/4) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
- - FOOT SW jack (1/2) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
- - MIDI connectors (IN, OUT)
- - DC IN jack
- - COMPUTER connector
- - USB MEMORY connector
- - Hi-Speed USB (USB-MIDI, USB-AUDIO, USB Mass Storage Class, USB Flash Drive)
- Power Supply
- - DC 9 V (AC Adaptor) PSB-1U
- Current Draw
- - 600 mA
- - Ableton Live Lite Serial Number Card
- - CD-ROM (SPD-SX Wave Manager, USB driver, preload wave data)
- - Owner's Manual
- - AC Adaptor
- Options (sold separately)
- - Pads (PD series, PDX series)
- - Cymbals (CY series)
- - Kick Triggers (KD series)
- - Pad Stand (PDS-10)
- - All-Purpose Clamp (APC-33)
- - Acoustic Drum Trigger (RT-30H, RT-30HR, RT-30K)
- - Pedal Switch (DP-2)
- - Footswitch (BOSS FS-5U, BOSS FS-6, BOSS FS-7)
- - Personal Drum Monitor (PM-100, PM-200)
- - Y cable (PCS-31L)
- - USB Flash Memory
- * Use USB Flash Memory sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- - Width 364 mm, 14-3/8 inches
- - Depth 331 mm, 13-1/16 inches
- - Height 94 mm, 3-3/4 inches
- - Weight 2.5 kg, 5 lbs. 9 oz.
- *0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
- In the interest of product improvement, the specifications and/or appearance of this unit are subject to change without prior notice.
Great quality products from a great company GAK.