Sequential Prophet Rev2 16-Voice Desktop Synthesizer
Overview by GAK
Sequential’s Prophet Rev2 is the new-and-improved version of the iconic Prophet '08 - a synth that was adopted by leading artists such as James Blake, Radiohead, deadmau5, Shook and more. Not only is the Prophet Rev2 the most feature-packed synth out of Sequential’s analogue instruments, it’s also the most affordable series in their lineup.
Compact Form Factor
The Prophet Rev2 Desktop condenses the wealth of timbre shaping capabilities, comprehensive connectivity options and rich analogue sound into a portable and compact form factor. It’s the one to go for if you have a master keyboard or controller that you prefer to use (whether that’s a fully-weighted & graded 88-key behemoth or a diminutive pad-laden device), need an easily transportable synth module for live use and/or have limited space in your studio.
The Desktop version of the Prophet Rev2 is every bit as intuitive as easy to use as its larger, keyboard-equipped sibling as it boasts the same per-knob functionality - just in a more compact package.
This is the most powerful version of the Prophet Rev 2 Desktop, packing a whopping 16 analogue (DCO) voices into a portable module. Whilst the Prophet Rev 2 can pull off sprawling pads with ridiculously long releases and authentic piano-style patches without voice-stealing when in Single or 16-voice mode - the real magic starts to happen when you use it in Split or Stack mode. The Prophet Rev 2 features two completely independent analog synth engines, giving you two full synths inside one powerful instrument.
If you require an all-in-one performance solution where all you have to do is power it on and plug it into the PA/Mixer/Interface, there’s a keyboard version of the Prophet Rev 2 which features a high-quality five-octave Fatar keybed.
The sheer amount of synth power that Sequential have packed into the Prophet Rev2 Desktop is astonishing, giving you one powerful 16-voice or two independent 8-voice synths in one box.
- 2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice (plus sub octave on oscillator 1) with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation)
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
- White noise generator
- Analog VCAs
- Hard sync
- 1 analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode)
- 3 envelope generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.
- Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests. Separate 16 x 4 gated step sequencer. Each layer can have a separate sequence.
- 4 LFO’s with key sync per LFO
- 8-slot modulation matrix
- 22 sources
- 53 destinations
- 5 additional dedicated sources: mod wheel, pressure, velocity, breath controller, footswitch
- Programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Selectable note value: 16th note, 8th note triplet, 8th note, dotted 8th note, quarter note
- One, two, or three octave range
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Note repeat
- 55 knobs and 35 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
- 512 Factory Programs (4 banks of 128) and 512 fully editable User Programs with 2 layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program
- MIDI In, Out, Thru
- Main stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Output B stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
- Headphone output: 1/4″ stereo phone jack.
- IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 22 watts maximum (17 watts for 8-voice configuration; 22 watts for 16-voice configuration)
- Oiled African mahogany wood end panels
- Dimensions: 7.9″ (20 cm) W x 21.6″ (54.8 cm) L x 3.3″ (8.4 cm) H
- Weight: 7.5 lbs. (3.4 kg)