Sequential Prophet Rev2 16-Voice Synthesizer Keyboard
Overview by GAK
The Sequential Prophet Rev2 is the most powerful analogue synthesizer that Dave Smith and the team have designed so far. It’s an evolved and enhanced successor of the Prophet '08, a hugely popular synth that heralded the return of analogue. Combining a rich & punchy sonic character with an impressive array of sound shaping capabilities, the sheer amount of synth that you get for the price is astounding.
16 Analog Voices
This is the 16-voice version of the Sequential Prophet Rev2 Keyboard, boasting an impressive count for an analogue synthesizer. Since the Prophet Rev2 features true bi-timbrality, when in Split or Stack mode, you have two complete 8-voice synthesizers at your disposal. The Prophet Rev2 is such a deep and expansive synth, just one of these synth engines on their own is impressive - imagine the possibilities when you have two of them under the hood!
As far as a performance synthesizer goes, the Prophet Rev2 is hard to beat, as you can have access to two totally different sounds at once. Because you can assign a different MIDI channel to each layer, you can allocate the Prophet Rev2’s keyboard to one sound and then hook up an external keyboard to control the other one. The possibilities with this feature are immense.
There’s also a tonne of fun to be had by stacking layers together too. For example, layering a pad with an arp or stacking the same patch, then detuning the other layer for an unbelievably lush 4 oscillator per voice poly.
Aside from using the Prophet Rev2 as two individual synths, it’s very powerful when used as a 16-voice polysynth. If you want to pull off gradually evolving pads with very long releases and no voice stealing, the 16-voice version is the one to go for. When it comes to the 16-voice version of the Prophet Rev2, the sonic possibilities are mind-boggling.
Sequential’s Prophet Rev2 Keyboard is equipped with a premium five-octave Fatar keybed. This semi-weighted keyboard feels fantastic and is very responsive to your playing dynamics thanks to velocity-sensitivity and aftertouch, which can be assigned to 53 destinations via the 8-slot Mod Matrix. In addition to the Fatar keyboard, the Prophet Rev2 is equipped with robust pitch and modulation wheels that are conveniently ridged to prevent slippage during an intense solo. If you need the convenience of an all-in-one performance solution, the Prophet Rev2 Keyboard is the one we’d recommend.
The oiled African Mahogany wood end cheeks are the icing on the cake of Prophet Rev2 Keyboard’s exterior, giving it a sophisticated class that’s deserving of a high-end instrument.
If you need an even more compact option for easier transportation, have limited space in your studio and/or prefer to use an external controller - the Prophet Rev2 Desktop is also available.
The 16-voice version of Sequential’s Prophet Rev2 Keyboard is a jaw-dropping instrument with a nigh-on boundless depth to explore. Despite its inherent versatility and flexibility, the Prophet Rev2 is an intuitive and easy synth to get to grips with and can pull off simple and ornate patches with ease. Throw in the fact that it’s the most affordable Sequential analog polysynth - and you’ve got yourself a winner!
- 2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice (plus sub octave on oscillator 1) with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation)
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
- White noise generator
- Analog VCAs
- Hard sync
- 1 analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode)
- 3 envelope generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.
- Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests. Separate 16 x 4 gated step sequencer. Each layer can have a separate sequence.
- 4 LFO’s with key sync per LFO
- 8-slot modulation matrix
- 22 sources
- 53 destinations
- 5 additional dedicated sources: mod wheel, pressure, velocity, breath controller, footswitch
- Programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Selectable note value: 16th note, 8th note triplet, 8th note, dotted 8th note, quarter note
- One, two, or three octave range
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Note repeat
- 5-octave keyboard with semi-weighted action, velocity, and aftertouch
- 55 knobs and 35 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
- Spring-loaded pitch wheel and assignable mod wheel
- 512 Factory Programs (4 banks of 128) and 512 fully editable User Programs with 2 layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program
- MIDI In, Out, Thru
- Main stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Output B stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
- Headphone output: 1/4″ stereo phone jack.
- IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 22 watts maximum (17 watts for 8-voice configuration; 22 watts for 16-voice configuration)
- Oiled African mahogany wood end panels
- Dimensions: 12.70″ (32.26 cm) W x 35.12″ (89.20 cm) L x 3.80″ (9.65 cm) H (2.30″ at front edge; the feet account for 0.25″ of the total height)
- Weight: 20.5 lbs. (9.3 kg)