Sequential Prophet Rev2 8-Voice Synthesizer Keyboard
Overview by GAK
The Prophet Rev2 is Sequential’s sequel to the universally acclaimed Prophet '08, taking that classic analogue synthesizer and enhancing with incredible new features such as waveshape modulation for all four waveforms, digital effects and a polyphonic step sequencer. This synth represents excellent value for money, delivering an impressive feature set and a delicious analogue sound at an attainable price.
8 Analog Voices
This version of Sequential’s Prophet Rev2 is more akin to its predecessor - the incredible Prophet '08 - packing 8 upgraded analogue voices under its hood. If you’re looking to upgrade from your '08 or are in the market for a premium analogue polysynth at an an attainable price, the Prophet Rev2 8-voice is a fantastic choice. The 8-voice variant of the Prophet Rev2 has the same rich sound engine & comprehensive connectivity as its 16-voice sibling and you can upgrade it to its full potential later on with the Expander Kit.
If you plan on using the Prophet Rev2’s bi-timbrality (Splits & Stacks) often, we recommend going for the 16-voice variant as the additional voices make a huge difference when using this feature.
An advantage of the Prophet Rev2 is that you have either a full 8-voice or two completely independent 4-voice synths, which can be switched between in an instant. This makes the Prophet Rev2 a top-notch performance instrument, as you can stack two layers for truly massive sounds or have two totally different patches split across the keyboard. Because the layers can function on different MIDI channels, you can plug in an external controller to control one layer and allocate the entirety of the Prophet Rev2’s keyboard to another one.
With waveshape modulation for all four of the Prophet Rev2’s waveforms, a versatile stereo effect slot per layer, polyphonic step-sequencing and twice the modulation capabilities, the Rev2 is a more than worthy successor to the Prophet '08. Plus, if you love your '08 patches, you can import them over to the Rev2 and enhance them with its new features.
Not only have the Prophet Rev 2’s features and sound been upgraded, its exterior has been improved too. The robust knobs are potentiometers instead of encoders as standard and the keyboard now uses a premium, five-octave Fatar keybed with responsive velocity-sensitivity and aftertouch. The velocity and aftertouch can be assigned to 53 destinations, including the built-in effect parameters, allowing you to inject dynamics and expression into your performances with ease. The Prophet Rev 2 Keyboard also features slick pitch & mod wheels, which are handily ridged to prevent slipping during intricate solos. As an all-in-one performance solution, the Prophet Rev 2 is definitely a step up!
Completing the Rev 2 Keyboard’s looks are the oiled African Mahogany wooden end cheeks, which give it the timeless appeal of a classic synthesizer.
If you love the sound of the Prophet Rev2 and need to save space/have a controller that you’d prefer to use, there’s a solution for that - the Rev2 Desktop.
The 8-voice variant of the Sequential Prophet Rev2 Keyboard is a more affordable alternative to its more powerful 16-voice sibling. It’s one of the most powerful analog synths out there and can pull off both old-school vintage patches as well as complex modern ones.
- 2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice (plus sub octave on oscillator 1) with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation)
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
- White noise generator
- Analog VCAs
- Hard sync
- 1 analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode)
- 3 envelope generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.
- Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests. Separate 16 x 4 gated step sequencer. Each layer can have a separate sequence.
- 4 LFO’s with key sync per LFO
- 8-slot modulation matrix
- 22 sources
- 53 destinations
- 5 additional dedicated sources: mod wheel, pressure, velocity, breath controller, footswitch
- Programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Selectable note value: 16th note, 8th note triplet, 8th note, dotted 8th note, quarter note
- One, two, or three octave range
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Note repeat
- 5-octave keyboard with semi-weighted action, velocity, and aftertouch
- 55 knobs and 35 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
- Spring-loaded pitch wheel and assignable mod wheel
- 512 Factory Programs (4 banks of 128) and 512 fully editable User Programs with 2 layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program
- MIDI In, Out, Thru
- Main stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Output B stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
- Headphone output: 1/4″ stereo phone jack.
- IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 22 watts maximum (17 watts for 8-voice configuration; 22 watts for 16-voice configuration)
- Oiled African mahogany wood end panels
- Dimensions: 12.70″ (32.26 cm) W x 35.12″ (89.20 cm) L x 3.80″ (9.65 cm) H (2.30″ at front edge; the feet account for 0.25″ of the total height)
- Weight: 20.5 lbs. (9.3 kg)