SSL BiG SiX Desktop Mixing Console
SSL BiG SiX Desktop Mixing Console
Overview by GAK
The SSL BiG SiX desktop mixing console gives you the legendary sound and seamless workflow of their large-format desks in a more affordable, compact and project-studio friendly package.
Studio Stage Logic are one of the biggest names in the world of mixing desks and music recording. The SSL name is synonymous with innovation and a remarkable legacy that spans a staggering number of hit records. SSL consoles such as the 4000 series have played an essential role in shaping the sound of landmark albums by Rush, Nirvana, David Bowie, Tupac Shakur, Madonna and many more.
Large Format Sound, Compact Size
With their BiG SiX desktop mixing console, SSL have condensed decades of creating state-of-the-art analogue desks into a format that’s ideal for project studios. Whilst plenty of software developers have tried to imitate the famous “SSL Sound” that’s graced so many landmark records in the digital domain, nothing can capture the magic of a real analogue SSL desk. Finally, you can experience the extensive routing capabilities, channel processing, intuitive user workflow and beautiful analogue summing of SSL’s large-format desks - with all the advantages of a modern digital desk - in your home studio.
SSL have equipped the BiG SiX with four mono and four stereo channels, giving you enough inputs to record everything from a solo singer-songwriter to a full band. Combined with the two stereo EXTernal inputs which can be sent to the stereo mix bus, you have up to 18 inputs that can be summed to the main bus - perfect for when you want to imbue your recordings with that unmistakable SSL “mix-glue”.
SuperAnalogue Front End
The four mono channels provide a top-notch front end for your recordings, particularly when tracking vocals and guitars. Each mono channel boasts an ultra-transparent SSL SuperAnalogue mic preamp and a superb SSL compressor. The compressor offers program-dependent attack time, fixed release/ratio time and automatic makeup gain. This simple control scheme makes achieving pro-quality results quick and easy. The BiG SiX’s first four channels can easily handle any microphone in your arsenal thanks to +72dB of gain on tap, phantom power and a handy 75Hz high-pass filter. Instruments are catered for with a separate line-level input, which can be switched to instrument level with the press of a button.
E Series EQ
Every one of the SSL BiG SiX’s channels features a 3-band EQ, which is based on the iconic E Series console. The EQ section uses a musical, broad-stroke design with high (3.5kHz) and low (60Hz) filters that can be tweaked from +15dB to -15dB gain and two curve types for each filter. The bell and shelf curves have unique centre frequencies for extra sound-sculpting versatility. In addition to the high and low filters, the EQ section has a fixed 700Hz mid-frequency control.
G Series Compression
A major highlight of the SSL BiG SiX’s rich feature-set is the sought-after G Series bus compressor, which can be instantly applied across the main outputs. SSL have upgraded their classic console circuit with a high-tech quad-VCA chip and streamlined the controls to make applying that trademark punch and glue to your master bus a breeze.
Integrate Your Outboard
Balanced insert points for channels 1-4 are available if you want to integrate your favourite outboard processors into the SSL BiG SiX. As you’d expect from an SSL desk, the insert send is constantly active so you can use it as a pre-fader, post-processing record send to your DAW of choice.
Nothing beats the tactile, hands-on workflow of a knob and slider-laden mixing desk like the SSL BiG SiX. The BiG SiX’s full-size, long-throw 100mm faders with tapers provide detailed control over usable gain range, allowing you to make quick adjustments in live and studio settings.
Seamless DAW Integration
With the SSL BiG SiX, you get the best of both - a world-class analogue mixing console that can act like an old-school SSL desk and a class-compliant 16-in/16-out USB-C audio interface with cutting-edge 24-bit/96kHz AD/DA conversion. USB sends 15-16 are linked to the main bus output, making printing your mixes into your DAW effortless.
Don’t be fooled by SSL BiG SiX desktop mixing console’s convenient form factor, it more than delivers when it comes to signal routing and monitoring flexibility. There are two cue buses that are dedicated to artist mixes, whilst the master section features main and alternate monitor outputs. These outs are connected to a monitor source matrix with mono check, cut and dim controls. The talkback mic input with phantom power is on hand for when you want to communicate with an artist onstage or in the live room. In true Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins fashion, you can use the talkback mic input alongside the SSL Listen Mic Compressor to attain that authentic '80s gated drum sound.
The BiG SiX is the most affordable and compact way to get a fully-featured analogue SSL desk with plenty of inputs into your home studio. This fantastic desktop mixing console raises the bar for desks of its size and is a top choice if you’re after that SSL sound.
- Mic / line level input / Hi-Z
- Phantom power / HPF
- Classic SSL Channel Dynamics
- Updated three band LF/MF/HF SSL EQ (based on SSL E Series)
- Fully balanced insert point
- Dual mono switching
- Wide gain range
- 96 kHz / 24-bit
- Advanced routing
- Classic SSL Channel Dynamics
- Listen Mic Compressor
- Essential version of G-Comp Bus Compressor
- Classic SSL response curve with large sweet spot
- Long throw, as found on large-format SSL consoles
- Fast and accurate peak response
- Large 12 segment main / 8 segment channel metering
- Defined segments for +24 dBu and +18 dBu
- Based on legendary G-Comp design
- Now with renowned ‘Auto’ release
- Independently routable source matrix
- Professional quality headphone amp
- Switch between two sets of monitors
- Mono / dim / cut
- Flexible monitoring source matrix
- Two stereo cue feeds
- Bus B / Mute switching
- Two fully balanced stereo summing inputs
- Up to 18 inputs at mixdown
- Mix Bus inject for cascading additional SiX/BiG SiX
- Type: Analog Mixer with USB Interface
- Channels: 18 Inputs (includes summing and inserts), 8 Fader Channels
- Computer Connectivity: USB (16 x 16)
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/96kHz
- Faders: 9 x 100mm Faders
- Inputs - Mic Preamps: 4 x XLR
- Phantom Power: Yes (per channel)
- Inputs - Line: 8 x 1/4" (4 x stereo channel), 4 x 1/4" (2 x external stereo input)
- Inputs - Other: 4 x 1/4" (Hi-Z)
- Outputs - Main: 2 x 1/4" TRS (main), 2 x 1/4" TRS (main monitor), 2 x 1/4" TRS (alt monitor)
- Aux Sends: 2 x Stereo Cue Send (pre/post)
- Busses/Groups: 2 x 1/4" TRS (Bus B out)
- Inserts: 2 x 1/4" TRS (L/R main bus insert send), 2 x 1/4" TRS (L/R main bus insert return)
- Headphones: 2 x 1/4"
- USB: 1 x USB-C
- Talkback: 1 x XLR
- EQ Bands: 3-band EQ, High/Low Bell Curve, Mid Frequency Shift
- Signal Processing: G-Series Bus Compressor (main mix bus), Channel Compression
- OS Requirements - Mac: OS X 10.14 or later
- OS Requirements - PC: Windows 10 or later (SSL USB ASIO/WDM driver required)
- Rackmountable: Optional rackmount kit (sold separately)
- Power Source: 4-pin 15V DC power supply (included)
- Height: 5.6"
- Width: 19.3" (including trim)
- Depth: 15.4"
- Weight: 6.9kg
No upgrades available