Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo Pedal
The Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo Machine is one of the most powerful Tape and Echo pedals available. It’s a faithful recreation of the real tape echo machines, but more portable and affordable, especially compared to real tape echo machines which are bulky and costly.
It has a wide range of features and is great for anyone who is looking for the natural warmth and idiosyncrasies of a real tape delay, but in a smaller, more reliable form. It uses a DSP chip that makes the ‘dTape algorithm’ sound as authentic and high-quality as possible with all the nuances of a real tape echo.
The El Capistan has three tape machine heads in the form of a toggle switch - Fixed, Multi and Single, each with three unique modes switched with the other toggle switch called Mode.
It also has 5 tape adjustment and tone shaping knobs - Time controls the delay time depending on the Tape Head type, so while you’re on Fixed or Multi, it controls the tape speed. If you’re on Single, it varies the positions of a sliding record head. Mix controls the balance of wet/dry, Tape Age controls the frequency characteristics from the tape bandwidth and tape head alignment, Repeats controls how many echos you hear, and Wow & Flutter controls the pitch fluctuations that are caused by imperfections of the tape machine, making this a truly authentic pedal.
Each of these knobs also has a secondary function that is accessed when you hold down the Bypass and Tap at the same time, so you get Spring Reverb (Time knob) which simply controls the amount of spring reverb in your signal, Tape bias (Repeats knob) which lets you choose from under-biased and over-biased, +/- 3dB Boost/Cut (Mix knob) which lets you get a plus or minus 3dB boost or cut, Low End Contour (Tape Age knob) which gives you control over the low-frequency shaping of echo repeats, and Tape Crinkle (Wow & Flutter knob) which controls the amount of severity of tape irregularities including contaminants, splices, creases and friction.
It also lets you adjust the parameters from an external expression pedal (not included) to give you better accessibility, and you can connect a Favourite switch (not included) so you can save your favourite presets.
When we decided to develop an effects pedal that delivers the sound and feel of our favorite tape echo machines, we knew we must relentlessly study and faithfully recreate every last nuance.
We spent months in the Strymon sound design labs with an intense focus on capturing the warm, saturated, distinctive qualities of tape echo machines. The result is our hand crafted dTape™ technology. Utilizing a ridiculously powerful SHARC DSP, every drop of processing power is harnessed.
El Capistan provides three different tape machine types in one, each with three unique modes. With ten parameters to tweak, you get extensive control over tape quality, machine health and tone shaping.
Go from the sound of a pristine, studio-quality tape machine to the heavily fluctuating sound of a machine in need of service. Get the full bodied sound of fresh tape all the way to the gnarled qualities of worn out tape.
Because it’s DSP driven, you get a range of tape experiences unattainable with a traditional tape machine. All of this without the headaches of tape machine maintenance and repair!
- Hand crafted dTape algorithms deliver meticulous and nuanced recreations of tape echo systems.
- Three tape machines in one: Fixed (one fixed playback head), Multi (multiple playback heads), and Single (sliding record head)
- Each tape machine has three modes for extremely flexible echo options
- Five tape adjustment and tone shaping knobs: Time, Mix, Tape Age, Repeats, Wow & Flutter
- Five "hidden" knobs for extensive tone tweaking: Tape Crinkle, Tape Bias, Low End Contour, Spring Reverb, /- 3dB Boost/Cut
- Sound on Sound mode with instant tape splice and bulk erase. A built-in tape-style looper!
- Press and hold Tap for instant Infinite Repeats
- Stereo output
- High impedance mono input (internal jumper enables selectable TRS stereo input) Please read this FAQ for more info on the TRS input.
- Expression pedal input with selectable control over any knob parameter
- Connect an optional Favorite switch to save a favorite preset
- Tap Tempo and Bypass footswitches
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters
- 115dB typical signal to noise
- Analog dry path for a zero latency dry signal that is never converted to digital
- Premium analog front end and output section
- Super high performance SHARC DSP in a compact form factor
- True Bypass (electromechanical relay switching)
- Selectable Trails Mode with high quality, transparent Analog Buffered Bypass
- 9V center negative DC supply included, 250mA current draw
- Strong and lightweight gunmetal gray anodized aluminum chassis
- Crafted with love in the USA
Great pedal it’s a Strymon need I say more !!!
Does what it says,made solid.
As with any Strymon product, this did not dissapoint
Great product, from a great name