Tascam DP-03SD 8 Track Digital Portastudio
A Gak Overview Of The Tascam DP-03SD 8 Track Digital Portastudio
The DP-03SD is an affordable way to get into TASCAM's famed Portastudio system of making recording simple and affordable for musicians. The 8-track digital recorder captures your music at CD quality to affordable SD/SDHC cards, and a 4GB card is included with the recorder. With built-in microphones, effects, and mastering, the DP-03SD provides everything musicians need to record and share their music.
A pair of stereo condenser microphones is built into the front panel of the DP-03, helpful for capturing a rehearsal, live performance or songwriting ideas. Also included are a pair of high-quality XLR microphone preamps with phantom power for condenser microphones. 1/4" line inputs are also available, and an instrument-level switch allows you to record a guitar or bass without a direct box. A three-button footswitch, the RC-3F, is available for control and punch in.
Routing the inputs to one of the eight tracks is simple, and you can record two at a time until you fill up all eight. A tuner and metronome are built-in for tight-sounding tracks, each with its own dedicated button for quick access. Track can be edited with commands like copy/paste, silence, clone track and undo. Bouncing is also available, even bouncing all eight tracks down to one or two. There’s even the option to import a WAV file through USB.
Each track has its own send to a stereo reverb processor as well as two-band shelving EQ. Once you’ve perfected your mix with the 45mm faders, pan knobs, reverb and EQ, record it to the dedicated stereo master track. Your mix can be processed with mastering effects like EQ and limiting for a tight, modern sound. When you’re satisfied, transfer your mix to a computer over USB 2.0.
- 8-track digital Portastudio
- Recording/playback at 44.1 kHz, 16 bit using SD/SDHC memory card
- Simultaneous recording of two tracks
- Record in stereo or record two independent mono sources
- Simultaneous playback of eight tracks
- Use dedicated controls on each channel for volume, pan and effect to create a mix
- Dedicated stereo mixdown track
- Mix your song to a stereo file you can transfer to a computer for MP3 encoding
- Built-in stereo condenser microphone
- Create a two-track recording instantly and without cabling
- Two XLR mic inputs with phantom power
- Plug in your favourite studio condenser microphones
- Two TRS line inputs, one switchable to guitar (hi-Z)
- Connect an electrical guitar or bass as well as synths, drum machines etc. directly
- RCA line output
- Connect your monitor amplifier/speakers here
- Headphones output with level control
- Two-band shelving EQ per track and on both inputs
- Set the frequencies the low and high EQ knobs cut or boost depending on your sound sources
- On-board Reverb processor to polish your mixes
- On-board mastering effects
- Get the most out of your mix with two-band EQ, single/multi-band compression and a normalizer to maximise the overall level and improve the sound density
- Auto punch in/out
- Record a marked section while playing or singing without pressing any button
- Track bounce feature
- Use more than eight tracks by creating a mixdown of several tracks to another track
- Workstation-style editing with copy, move, open, cut etc.
- Edit your tracks like a pro: tighten your timing, create loops, cut unwanted noise etc.
- Multi-level undo/redo history
- Undo/redo multiple steps in case you have made a mistake (including the editing functions)
- Location marks
- Set marks to easily locate the start of verses, soli, vocals etc.
- Built-in tuner and metronome
- USB 2.0 port
- Backup/restore projects or import/export wave files from/to a computer
- Nine 45-mm faders
- Selectable foot switch operation mode
- Foot switch with three switches and assignable functions available as an option (RC-3F)
- Routing the inputs to one of the eight tracks is simple, and you can record two at a time until you fill up all eight. A tuner and metronome are built-in for tight-sounding tracks, each with its own dedicated button for quick access. Track can be edited with commands like copy/paste, silence, clone track and undo. Bouncing is also available, even bouncing all eight tracks down to one or two. There's even the option to import a recording through USB or audio CD.
No upgrades available
This is a very good produce but the instructions could be much clearer. After many hours I have still not been able to send a WAV file to my computer.
Tascam DP-03sd 8 TRACK Awsome piece of kit At CD quality Simply superb 5*****
Really simple to use, as with all Tascam products. It does what it says.
Brilliant piece of kit, fairly easy to get started recording my masterpieces
Brilliant product at a great price. Easy to use especially if one is familiar with other Tascam units as I have been for 30 years. Remarkable quality for something so small, very flexible features including interface with PC files. I have only been using this for early demoing of material but if one wanted to really produce a quality finished song/performance, then this unit will satisfy needs easily.