Tascam US-2x2HR USB Audio Interface
Overview by GAK
Building upon the tremendous success of the popular US range of audio interfaces, Tascam have returned with the improved and enhanced US HR series. The additional “HR” stands for “high-resolution”, which sets the tone for the level of quality that Tascam have brought forward. The US HR interfaces are essentially a total enhancement of the previous range, featuring: 24-bit audio resolution at sample rates up to 192kHz, ultra-low latency (with buffer sizes starting from four samples when using Windows), state-of-the-art Ultra-HDDA mic preamplifiers which provide an advanced quality of sound, superior signal-to-noise ratio with pristine, distortion-free recording. The innovative mono/stereo Loopback function was designed with live-streamers in mind and compatibility with iOS devices allows for supreme portability.
The US HR is a fantastic combination of cutting edge tech with a simple, intuitive design. This makes it a brilliant choice for a huge range of requirements, from podcasters/streamers that want to sound top-notch without any hassle to discerning project studio engineers who need flexibility and performance. This all comes at a very keen price, which means incredibly high-quality recording is more accessible than ever!
The entire US HR series boasts a sleek die-cast aluminium honeycomb structure on the side panels, that provides a useful upward tilt for accessibility. This unique design gives you the ideal amount of weight and means the US HR won’t slide out of position when you’re connecting and reconnecting cables.
The crowning jewel of the US HR range’s feature-set is the Ultra-HDDA (High-Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps. Tascam’s use of discrete electronics means a higher number of components and is an indication of the stellar quality of these interfaces. The US HR’s preamp raises the bar, utilising an improved audio circuit design with a super low EIN (equivalent input noise) rating, which measures the lack of noise in a signal. This results in a signal-to-noise ratio of 110dB and an undoubtedly transparent, low-noise sound. There’s also support for sky-high sampling rates of up to 192kHz.
Latency, an aspect of digital recording that can make it difficult to play in time, is a common problem when using an audio interface. The US HR series mitigates this issue by introducing their seriously low-latency driver software (that’s simple to get running), with Windows buffer sizes as small as four samples. You also have a zero-latency option where you can monitor your inputs directly, in either mono or stereo, and blend the signal between your instrument/voice and the playback.
The US HR range’s compatibility with iOS makes it a great solution for on-the-go producers and streamers, with the bundled Cubasis LE 3 software enabling you to record high-quality audio on the road.
Live streamers and users relying on Internet communication are catered for with the US HR range’s handy Loopback functionality. With the Loopback function, you’re able to merge your input signals with the signal output from your computer, in either mono or stereo, and then send the mix into your software of choice (such as a DAW or broadcasting programme). Using the software slider, you’re able to adjust the final “broadcast” volume separately from the unit’s line output level.
Steinberg Cubase LE (including Cubasis LE3 for iOS) - A version of one of the top DAWs out there. This software gives you all the tools you need to begin recording, mixing and producing.
IK Multimedia Sample Tank SE 4 - A whopping 30GB sample library that allows you to harness over 2,000 musical instruments in your productions.
Free 3-month subscription to Auto-Tune Unlimited from Antares - This software suite is used by professional producers around the globe, with its powerful ability to add subtle or extreme pitch correction and slick vocal effects.
Upgrades may require a fee.
The US-2x2HR features two switchable mic/line/instrument inputs, allows multitrack recording of two vocals/instruments simultaneously. This configuration provides plenty of flexibility and enables you to record stereo sources. If you need something simpler, check out the US-1x2HR variant as it has a separate instrument and microphone input. For those needing more than two channels, the US-4x4HR offers four inputs as well as four outputs.
Overview by Tascam
Tascam introduce a new series of high-resolution USB audio interfaces. The three models – US-1x2HR, US-2x2HR, and US-4x4HR – incorporate 24-bit audio resolution at sample rates up to 192 kHz, a very high signal-to-noise ratio, ultra-low latency with buffer sizes starting from four samples, Ultra-HDDA mic preamplifiers for superior sound quality, and a comprehensive suite of included software. According to Tascam, these interfaces, designed for ease of use and flexibility, are a good choice for any demanding sound creator, from beginners in recording technology to project studio operators to podcast and webcast producers.
The US-2x2HR is a terrific choice for music production, podcasts, and live streaming. It provides two mic/line/instrument inputs and two balanced line outputs as well as MIDI I/O to add keyboards, drum machines and other MIDI equipment to the production environment.
All US-HR models offer a unique dye-cast aluminium honeycomb structure on the side panels with a slight upward tilt. This design not only results in a sleek, eye-catching design, it also provides just the right amount of weight so the interface won’t move when cables are connected or disconnected. Equally important, the upward tilt offers the ergonomic benefit of being angled in such a way as to make the interface easy to work with.
The Ultra-HDDA (High-Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps used on the US-HR series feature a discrete construction. They have a higher number of components and are far away from mass-produced preamps. Their EIN (equivalent input noise) rating, which measures the absence of noise, is truly low for the US-2x2HR and US-4x4HR. Combined with a newly improved audio circuit and support for sampling rates up to 192 kHz, our in-house developed microphone preamplifier delivers enhanced audio performance with the most transparent and low-noise sound, reflected in a signal-to-noise ratio of 110 dB.
Instead of a computer, you can also use an iPad or iPhone together with the US-2x2HR/US-4x4HR to make music. Performance has been tested with not only the bundled digital audio workstation (Cubasis LE3) but also with other popular recording software – you can continue to use them even if you change DAW software. Since these units include MIDI inputs and outputs, you can connect MIDI keyboards, drum computers etc. to play sounds on the iPad or computer and thus expand your personal orchestra.
One issue when recording using a computer is latency, which is when audio signals are delayed through digital circuitry. Another is setting up the driver software that is used when connecting an audio interface to a computer. In order to eliminate these problems, our driver software introduces only very little latency and is easy to install. Furthermore, by making the external structure of these interfaces as simple as possible, the Tascam US-2x2HR and US-4x4HR allow users who are not expert users of audio equipment to operate them without concern.
The Settings Panel, which is installed on your computer, comes with a variety of functions. You can choose whether direct monitoring is done in mono or stereo and adjust the balance between input and computer signals. You can also switch the hardware inputs on and off individually and set the Windows buffer size according to your working environment.
For online broadcasting, Internet communication and other live streaming applications, the US-HR series interfaces offer a Loopback function which can merge input signals 1/2 with signals 1/2 coming from the computer (each can be set to mono or stereo) and send that mix to the broadcasting or other software on the computer. A software slider allows adjustment of the final “broadcast” volume independently from the unit’s line output level setting.
The US-HR models come bundled with world-renowned software that will enhance your production workflow. At the core of music production, Steinberg Cubase LE (including Cubasis LE3) gives you everything you need for composing, multitrack recording, sequencing, editing, and mixing. IK Multimedia Sample Tank SE 4 comes free of charge with a massive 30-Gigabyte sound library encompassing more than 2,000 different musical instruments. And a free 3-month subscription to Auto-Tune Unlimited from Antares, a comprehensive suite of industry-standard pitch correction and vocal effects, gives you the opportunity to create those famous sounds of the pros.
- - Advanced version of our popular US-1x2 with even better sound quality
- - Provides two audio inputs and two audio outputs to a Windows or Mac computer or iOS device
- - Audio resolution up to 192 kHz / 24 bit
- - USB Audio Compliance 2.0 for iOS connection
- Hardware features:
- - Two analogue mic/line inputs on XLR/TRS balanced combo connectors
- - High-quality Ultra-HDDA (High Definition Discrete Architecture) microphone pre-amps with ultra-low noise (EIN: –128 dBu)
- - Wide input gain range of 56 dB, ideal for dynamic microphones
- - Switchable 48-Volt phantom power on XLR inputs
- - TRS inputs 1/2 can each be switched to instrument-level for direct recording of guitar or bass
- - Two line outputs (balanced TRS)
- - Direct monitor option for low-latency monitoring
- - Monitor mix control for adjusting the level balance between signals from external devices and signals from the computer
- - Headphones output delivering 18 mW per channel
- - Independent level controls for line and phones outputs
- - MIDI input/output
- - USB bus-powered for mobile recording
- Software features:
- - In-house developed driver for Windows devices ensures stable operation with low latency
- - The buffer size for Windows can be selected from 4 samples to facilitate a recording environment with ultra-low latency
- - Each input can be switched on/off individually
- - Input monitor mode can be selected between stereo and mono
- - A loopback function allows two audio channels from the computer to be merged with the input signals and send this mix to the streaming or communication software
- - Input and computer signals can each be selected between stereo and mono
- - A slider lets you adjust the broadcast level
- - Switchable auto power save mode to reduce battery consumption on the laptop/tablet computer in mobile use
- - Automatic update function available for software, driver and firmware updates (you can install new updates with the press of a button)
- - Bundled with Cubase LE and Cubasis LE3, IK Multimedia SampleTank 4 SE and Antares Auto-Tune Unlimited (free 3-month subscription)
- - Compatible with major DAW software
- Audio resolution -
- Sampling frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz
- Quantization bit depth: 24-bit
- Analogue inputs -
- Mic inputs (balanced): XLR-3-31 equivalent, (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
- Input impedance: 2.2 kΩ
- Rated input level: –7 dBu (0.346 Vrms)
- Maximum input level: +10 dBu (2.449 Vrms)
- Gain range: 56 dB
- Instrument inputs (unbalanced, MIC/LINE INST switch set to INST): 6.3-mm standard TS stereo jacks, (Tip: HOT, Sleeve: GND)
- Input impedance: ≥1 MΩ
- Rated input level: –6 dBV (0.501 Vrms)
- Maximum input level: +10 dBV (3.162 Vrms)
- Gain range: 56 dB
- Line inputs (balanced, MIC/LINE INST switch set to MIC/LINE): 6.3-mm standard TRS stereo jack, (Tip: HOT, Ring: COLD, Sleeve: GND)
- Input impedance: 10 kΩ
- Rated input level: +4 dBu (1.228 Vrms)
- Maximum input level: +20 dBu (7.75 Vrms)
- Gain range: 56 dB
- Analogue outputs -
- Line outputs (balanced): 6.3-mm standard TRS stereo jacks, (Tip: HOT, Ring: COLD, Sleeve: GND)
- Output impedance: 210 Ω
- Rated output level: +4 dBu (1.228 Vrms)
- Maximum output level: +20 dBu (7.746 Vrms)
- Headphone output (PHONES): 6.3-mm standard stereo jack
- Maximum output power: 18 mW + 18 mW or higher (THD+N 1% or less, into 32 Ω load)
- Control inputs/outputs -
- MIDI IN connector: 5-pin DIN
- Format: MIDI standard
- MIDI OUT connector: 5-pin DIN
- Format: MIDI standard
- USB: 4-pin USB, Type C
- Transfer rate: USB 2.0 High Speed (480 MBit/s)
- Audio performance -
- Mic amp EIN (equivalent input noise): ≤−128 dBu (150 Ω termination, GAIN knob at maximum)
- Frequency response, MIC/LINE input:
- 44.1 kHz / 48 kHz: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, +0 dB/−0.4 dB (JEITA)
- 88.2 kHz / 96 kHz: 20 Hz – 40 kHz, +0 dB/−0.4 dB (JEITA)
- Frequency response, LINE output:
- 44.1 kHz / 48 kHz: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, +0.2 dB/−0.1 dB (JEITA)
- 88.2 kHz / 96 kHz: 20 Hz – 40 kHz, +0.2 dB/−0.4 dB (JEITA)
- S/N ratio:
- 110 dB (MIC input, GAIN knob at minimum, 20-kHz SPCL LPF, A-weighted)
- 108 dB (LINE input, GAIN knob at minimum, 20-kHz SPCL LPF, A-weighted)
- 110 dB (LINE output, MONITOR knob at maximum, 20-kHz SPCL LPF, A-weighted)
- Distortion (THD+N):
- 0.0013 % (MIC IN, 1 kHz sine wave, −5 dBFS input, GAIN knob at minimum, 20 kHz SPCL LPF)
- 0.0011 % (LINE IN, 1 kHz sine wave, −5 dBFS input, GAIN knob at minimum, 20 kHz SPCL LPF)
- 0.0012 % (LINE OUT, 1 kHz sine wave, −4 dBFS input, MONITOR knob at maximum, 20 kHz SPCL LPF)
- Crosstalk attenuation:
- ≥95 dB (MIC/LINE input to LINE output, 1 kHz sine wave, GAIN knob at minimum)
- Computer system requirements -
- Computer hardware requirements: Windows computer with a USB 2.0 port
- CPU/processor speed: 2 GHz or faster dual core processor (x86)
- Memory: 2 GB or more
- Important: Operation of this unit was confirmed using standard computers that meet the above requirements. This does not guarantee operation with all computers that meet the above requirements. Even computers that meet the same system requirements might have processing capabilities that differ according to their settings and other operating conditions
- Supported audio drivers: ASIO2.0, WDM, MIDI
- CPU/processor speed: 2 GHz or faster dual core processor
- Memory: 2 GB or more
- Supported audio drivers: Core Audio, Core MIDI
- Supported audio drivers: Core Audio
- Important: To connect an iOS device that has a Lightning connector, a genuine Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (sold separately) is necessary.
- Power supply and other specifications -
- Power supply
- When used with a computer: USB bus power or dedicated AC adapter below
- When used with an iOS device: Dedicated AC adapter (Tascam PS-P520E, DC 5 V)
- Power consumption: 1.75 W
- External dimensions (W × H × D, including protrusions): 186 mm × 65 mm × 160 mm
- Weight: 1.1 kg
- Operating temperature range: 5–35 °C
- - Design and specifications subject to change without notice.
- - Windows 10 (May 2020 Update 2004)
- - Windows 10 (November 2019 Update 1909)
- - Windows 10 (May 2019 Update 1903) Windows 8.1 Windows 7
- - macOS Catalina (10.15)
- - macOS Mojave (10.14)
- - macOS High Sierra (10.13)
- - iOS 13 / iPad OS 13
- - iOS 12
- - iOS 11
No upgrades available